From: Splat on
Rob Beech wrote:
> I'd get the DCX2496. No exceptions.

What he said.......
---
Splat

From: Q on

"George Gleason" <tbmoas(a)peoplepc.com> skrev i en meddelelse

> I do not think you will get "way better" sound from any magic box
> you need better speakers and amps(at least dump the USA's) first

The odd thing is that I used an EV AC-One crossover on that system for a
while and the sound was coming from those boxes was amazing compared to what
I had spent on the entire system.. Switched to a cx2310 ( was the only thing
in stock at the local shop, and I needed it for a gig fast ) when the EV
crossover developed intermittant problems.. Completely different sound
coming from the same boxes....

Although the system is underpowered ( rmx850 on highs , USA1310 on subs ) it
has plenty of headroom for the shows it is used for, so changing the amps
isnt a priority for me at the moment..

> then look at your mics/wires/stands, the "foundation" of your system
before
> you decide to put a new roof on it

That part of it is covered.. Same goes for racking etc.. No issues there..

The only thing that annoys me is the crappy sound of that cx2310....
I could just get a new EV AC-One, but the cost of that is close to the same
as the Driverack ( or even more than the Behringer), so I thought I might
aswell get a DSP based crossover.. If not for anything else : then just for
the fancy LCD in the amprack :-)

> when your rig is ready buy the behringer
> it is "way better" than the dbx drpa
> it will actually protect your speakers if set up properly
> the drpa COULD damage your speakers under certain situations even if set
up
> properly

I am aware of the power-up issue on the Driverack, but I dont think it will
be that much of a deal in this system ( no HF drivers to kill with a turn-on
thump directly from an amp )

/peter

From: Pianoman on
A couple more issues to consider. The Behringer DCX2496 is a 96 kHz
unit versus only 48 kHz on the dBx plus it has a memeory card slot
which I find useful. I also believe it has better noise sepcs than the
dbx.

From: Rob Beech on

"Pianoman" <musicwasmyfirstlove2003(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>A couple more issues to consider. The Behringer DCX2496 is a 96 kHz
> unit versus only 48 kHz on the dBx plus it has a memeory card slot
> which I find useful. I also believe it has better noise sepcs than the
> dbx.
>
> Rob Beech wrote:
>> "Q" <Q(a)Q.Q> wrote in message
>> >I need a new crossover for a small rig ( pair of yammie S115IV, pair of
>> > homebrew 18" subs on QSC RMX and USA series amps running 2 way
>> > active )..
>> > have been using a behringer cx2310 for a while, but I have heard that
>> > rig
>> > sound way better with other analog crossovers, so I think its time for
>> > change..
>> >
>> > Sofar I have been looking at either the Driverack PA or the Behringer
>> > one..
>> > The driverack is in the high end of the price I am willing to pay, but
>> > am
>> > willing to spend the extra cash if someone can come up with a good
>> > reason...
>> > Riders are not an issue as this systems primary users are DJs and local
>> > bands..
>> >
>> > Any reasons to get one or the other?..
>> > Any ideas for other processors/ Crossovers in the same pricerange?..
>> >
>> > /peter
>> >

>> This is one thats come up toooooo many times before.
>>
>> Your best bet is search this group for discussions on each and both
>> units.
>>
>> As a summary.
>> I'd get the DCX2496. No exceptions.
>> DRPA has a power issue which can damage drivers if power is cut to it
>> accidentally.
>> DCX is a better unit anyway.
>>
>> I use one on my B rig 3 way stereo.
>> I use 2 on my A rig 5 way (one unit for left one for right)
>> I also use one in a monitor rack for biamping my 2 side fills and 1 drum
>> fill.
>>
>> A fantastic unit for the money.
>> I moved to theese from a BSS omnidrive which was over 10 times the price.
>>

>> Rob

an all round better unit to be honest. I can't see any benefit to getting
the DRPA.
Another advantage is delay's. If you know what you are doing (i'm sure you
do) then you may wish to use the output delay feature to line up
erverything. (although this isn't vital and you may not find the necessary
specs for you own subs :-) )

And as for a pretty light in the amp rack.
One of my rigs uses the old 2u Omnidrive (never remember teh model number).
I've got a bit of card swinging on some tape that covers the screen up when
the show is in progress as it gets annoying. This is of course touring so
the amp rack has to go where it fits.....
Personally a unit where the screen can dim right down or switch off after a
few seconds would be great....... you're going to tell me that both the
omnidrive and the dcx2496 both do this and its my fault for not reaing the
manual on either!!!

Rob

From: Q on

"Rob Beech" <rob(remove)@cnics.co.uk> skrev i en meddelelse

> an all round better unit to be honest. I can't see any benefit to getting
> the DRPA.

Might aswell save some money then :-)..

> Another advantage is delay's. If you know what you are doing (i'm sure you
> do) then you may wish to use the output delay feature to line up
> erverything. (although this isn't vital and you may not find the necessary
> specs for you own subs :-) )

Well... I do have Smaart, so it shouldnt be a problem...

> And as for a pretty light in the amp rack.
> One of my rigs uses the old 2u Omnidrive (never remember teh model
number).
> I've got a bit of card swinging on some tape that covers the screen up
when
> the show is in progress as it gets annoying. This is of course touring so
> the amp rack has to go where it fits.....
> Personally a unit where the screen can dim right down or switch off after
> few seconds would be great....... you're going to tell me that both the
> omnidrive and the dcx2496 both do this and its my fault for not reaing the
> manual on either!!!

I did a theatre production at a local school some time ago.. School had
assigned a 14 year old student as my assistant... I ended up letting him
handle the wireless mics, so I wouldnt have to read the script.. Kid kept
bitching about the DDA Q-series I had brought in to do the production.. He
thought his American DJ thingie was a better choice to handle the wireless
mics... When asked why, his reply was that it had more flashy LEDs :-)

/peter

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Power Supply