From: John Salerno on
Markus Wankus wrote:

> I'm not sure, but I think it is pronounced "m?nage ? trois".

LOL. You guys are hilarious. I think I made the right decision to start
learning Python! :)
From: John Salerno on
Erik Max Francis wrote:

> Even in mathematics, a tuple, or formally an n-tuple, makes more sense
> to me pronounced the latter if you list out the various pronounciations
> for large n, seems me the _uhs_ outweigh the _oos_. (There's quadruple
> on one side, but then quintuple, sextuple, septuple, heptuple, octuple,
> etc., etc., etc.)

That's kind of the ironic thing. When I first saw the word, I thought
maybe it was a Python-specific term (even something from a Monty Python
skit, even!). My default pronunciation actually was 'toople', but then I
looked it up to be sure and saw that it comes from words like quadruple,
quintuple, etc. Well, even then, I was pronouncing those words in my
head as 'quintoople', 'sextoople', etc., so that didn't really clarify
it for me! But I think 'quintuple' is probably the more popular choice,
which makes 'tuple' sound more correct, so to speak.

I still have a warm spot for 'toople', though, since that's what I
called it first, but somehow 'tuple' seems less silly (and less like
tupping!) :)
From: Grant Edwards on
On 2006-02-13, John Salerno <johnjsal(a)NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> Markus Wankus wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure, but I think it is pronounced "m?nage ? trois".
>
> LOL. You guys are hilarious. I think I made the right decision
> to start learning Python! :)

Of course! What did you expect from devotees of a language
named after one of the greatest comedy shows in TV history?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Edwin Meese made me
at wear CORDOVANS!!
From: John Salerno on
Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2006-02-13, John Salerno <johnjsal(a)NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>> Markus Wankus wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure, but I think it is pronounced "m?nage ? trois".
>> LOL. You guys are hilarious. I think I made the right decision
>> to start learning Python! :)
>
> Of course! What did you expect from devotees of a language
> named after one of the greatest comedy shows in TV history?

Well, I hope this doesn't make me lose credibility, but I've actually
never seen the show! I saw Holy Grail several years ago, though. But I'm
very curious about this whole cheese shop skit, so when I get home
tonight I'm going to download it. :)
From: Steve Holden on
John Salerno wrote:
> Erik Max Francis wrote:
>

>>Even in mathematics, a tuple, or formally an n-tuple, makes more sense
>>to me pronounced the latter if you list out the various pronounciations
>>for large n, seems me the _uhs_ outweigh the _oos_. (There's quadruple
>>on one side, but then quintuple, sextuple, septuple, heptuple, octuple,
>>etc., etc., etc.)
>

> That's kind of the ironic thing. When I first saw the word, I thought
> maybe it was a Python-specific term (even something from a Monty Python
> skit, even!). My default pronunciation actually was 'toople', but then I
> looked it up to be sure and saw that it comes from words like quadruple,
> quintuple, etc. Well, even then, I was pronouncing those words in my
> head as 'quintoople', 'sextoople', etc., so that didn't really clarify
> it for me! But I think 'quintuple' is probably the more popular choice,
> which makes 'tuple' sound more correct, so to speak.
>
> I still have a warm spot for 'toople', though, since that's what I
> called it first, but somehow 'tuple' seems less silly (and less like
> tupping!) :)

No, no, no. The correct pronunciation is "tyoople" (or, if you're being
lazy, "choople"). Anything else is wrong, but we English are usually
prepared to forgive foreigners their ignorance :-)

[If I pronounced as badly as I type nobody would ever know what I was
saying].

not-that-we're-arrogant-or-anything-ly y'rs - steve
--
Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC www.holdenweb.com