From: John Salerno on
Steve Holden wrote:

> No, no, no. The correct pronunciation is "tyoople" (or, if you're being
> lazy, "choople"). Anything else is wrong, but we English are usually
> prepared to forgive foreigners their ignorance :-)
>
> [If I pronounced as badly as I type nobody would ever know what I was
> saying].
>
> not-that-we're-arrogant-or-anything-ly y'rs - steve

::eyes the Brits suspiciously::

And I thought there were only choo ways to pronounce it...turns out
there are free.
From: Grant Edwards on
On 2006-02-13, John Salerno <johnjsal(a)NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:

>>> LOL. You guys are hilarious. I think I made the right decision
>>> to start learning Python! :)
>>
>> Of course! What did you expect from devotees of a language
>> named after one of the greatest comedy shows in TV history?
>
> Well, I hope this doesn't make me lose credibility, but I've
> actually never seen the show! I saw Holy Grail several years
> ago, though. But I'm very curious about this whole cheese shop
> skit, so when I get home tonight I'm going to download it. :)

IMO, it's not as good as the dead-parrot skit, but it's still a
classic.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Yow! Now we can
at become alcoholics!
From: John Salerno on
Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2006-02-13, John Salerno <johnjsal(a)NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>> Grant Edwards wrote:

>>> Of course! What did you expect from devotees of a language
>>> named after one of the greatest comedy shows in TV history?
>> Well, I hope this doesn't make me lose credibility, but I've
>> actually never seen the show! I saw Holy Grail several years
>> ago, though. But I'm very curious about this whole cheese shop
>> skit, so when I get home tonight I'm going to download it. :)
>
> IMO, it's not as good as the dead-parrot skit, but it's still a
> classic.

Ah, now that one I have seen, and it is great! There's an episode of SNL
where they sort of randomly show that skit, which is a little bizarre in
itself. :)
From: Sergei Organov on
John Salerno <johnjsal(a)NOSPAMgmail.com> writes:

> Yes, silly question, but it keeps me up at night. :)
>
> I know it comes from the suffix -tuple, which makes me think it's
> pronounced as 'toople', but I've seen (at m-w.com) that the first
> pronunciation option is 'tuhple', so I wasn't sure. Maybe it's both, but
> which is most prevalent?

I just checked my English dictionary, and for, say, "quintuple", it
suggests ['kwintjupl] pronunciation. I didn't check it before, but I
tend to pronounce tuple as [tjupl] indeed (in fact Russians would say it's
closer to [chjupl]).

-- Sergei.

From: Terry Hancock on
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:52:30 -0800
Erik Max Francis <max(a)alcyone.com> wrote:
> Even in mathematics, a tuple, or formally an n-tuple,
> makes more sense to me pronounced the latter if you list
> out the various pronounciations for large n, seems me the
> _uhs_ outweigh the _oos_. (There's quadruple on one
> side, but then quintuple, sextuple, septuple, heptuple,
> octuple, etc., etc., etc.)

I doubt that helps much: I pronounce all of those words
(when I use them, which is not too often) as "-toopel". The
only tuple I pronounce with the "-uh-" is "couple", and I
usually call that a "two-tuple" when dealing with Python.

I suspect that even those who would pronounce 'quintuple'
"kwintuhpel" would say 'quintuplicate' as "kwinTOOPlikuht".
(that's the noun, not the verb, which is "kwintoopliKATE").

So what's a 1-element tuple, anyway? A "mople"? "monople"?
It does seem like this lopsided pythonic creature (1,) ought
to have a name to reflect its ugly, newbie-unfriendly
nature.

Are we having fun yet? ;-)

Cheers,
Terry

--
Terry Hancock (hancock(a)AnansiSpaceworks.com)