From: Erik Max Francis on
Roy Smith wrote:

> Peter Maas <peter.maas(a)somewhere.com> wrote:
>>Latin n-tuple
>>---------------------------
>>... ...
>>triplex triple
>>duplex duple
>>simplex simple
>
> Would a 9-tuple be a nipple?

We don't talk about that anymore since the Incident.

--
Erik Max Francis && max(a)alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
Society attacks early when the individual is helpless.
From: Erik Max Francis on
Roy Smith wrote:

> A more interesting question is what do you call ()? A none-tuple?

Yeah, that's at the point where it _really_ departs from anything
remotely mathematical. Don't think I've ever heard the occasion to talk
about 0-tuples in any context, though, so I don't think it's something
we need to worry about. I'm sure you'd just call them "empty tuples" or
"0-tuples" and move on :-).

From: Tim Hochberg on
Erik Max Francis wrote:
> Roy Smith wrote:
>

>>A more interesting question is what do you call ()? A none-tuple?
>

> Yeah, that's at the point where it _really_ departs from anything
> remotely mathematical. Don't think I've ever heard the occasion to talk
> about 0-tuples in any context, though, so I don't think it's something
> we need to worry about. I'm sure you'd just call them "empty tuples" or
> "0-tuples" and move on :-).

There's only one tuple of length zero, so I just call it "Spot".

>>> a = ()
>>> b = ()
>>> a is b
True

From: Terry Hancock on
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:27:40 -0800
Erik Max Francis <max(a)alcyone.com> wrote:
> Terry Hancock wrote:
> > The only tuple I pronounce with the "-uh-" is "couple",
> > and I usually call that a "two-tuple" when dealing with
> > Python.
>
> I prefer the name _pair_ :-).

Yeah, that works too.

> > So what's a 1-element tuple, anyway? A "mople"?
> > "monople"? It does seem like this lopsided pythonic
> > creature (1,) ought to have a name to reflect its ugly,
> > newbie-unfriendly nature.
>
> In mathematics there's really no such entity ...

Yeah, well that's we have no name for it. And yet, there
it is.

> Of course that's still a completely valid construct in
> Python so the question stands. If a 4-tuple is a
> quadruple, a 3-tuple is a triple, a 2-tuple is an pair,
> then I guess a 1-tuple would be a single. Granted that's
> not nearly as gruesome enough a name to go with the
> special lopsided Pythonic creature mentioned above. I
> suggest we name it a hurgledink.

Best suggestion I've heard yet! ;-)

Thanks all -- I really laughed reading this thread, I
really didn't expect my stupid question to get such
an enthusiastic response. :-D

--
Terry Hancock (hancock(a)AnansiSpaceworks.com)

From: Martin P. Hellwig on
Roy Smith wrote:
> Erik Max Francis <max(a)alcyone.com> wrote:
>> (A 2-tuple is an "ordered pair" in mathematics.) If a 2-tuple is a
>> pair, then it would seem to follow that a 1-tuple is a single.
>
> Yeah, but an *ordered* single :-)
>
> A more interesting question is what do you call ()? A none-tuple?
empty?

--
mph