From: Dave Hansen on
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:46:26 -0500 in comp.lang.python, Steve Holden
<steve(a)holdenweb.com> wrote:

>Dave Hansen wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 23:30:25 -0500 in comp.lang.python, Steve Holden
>> <steve(a)holdenweb.com> wrote:
[...]
>>>"Tyoople", "toople" or "tupple" depending on who you are, where you grew
>>>up and who you are speaking to. As with so many Usenet questions,
>>>there's no right answer, only 314 wrong ones :-)
>>

>> FWIW, I've often heard the latter two, but never the first one.
>> "Tuple" by itself tends to be "toople," but as a suffix tends to be
>> "tupple."
>>
>No, but then you probably listen to the noos, not the nyoos, on the TV
>or radio. That's a particularly British pronunciation.

I have heard that pronunciation of "news," and not just from the
British. Back in the mid-1980's I listened to a radio station with a
DJ who, in an attempt at humor, would prefix his news segments with a
nasal "And now, the nYoos!" with the first part of the Y heavily
stressed and about an octave higher in pitch than either end of the
word. He wasn't trying to sound British, just mock-enthusiastic.

[...]
>> On NPR ([American] National Public Radio), there's a weekly music
>> program called "American Routes" pronounced such to conjure the
>> alternate "American Roots."
>>
>Never caught that. Must go get some batteries for my radio.

If you're interested, see http://www.americanroutes.org/

Their station list includes some who broadcast over the web.

Regards,
-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
From: Delaney, Timothy (Tim) on
Grant Edwards wrote:

>> Well, I hope this doesn't make me lose credibility, but I've
>> actually never seen the show! I saw Holy Grail several years
>> ago, though. But I'm very curious about this whole cheese shop
>> skit, so when I get home tonight I'm going to download it. :)
>
> IMO, it's not as good as the dead-parrot skit, but it's still a
> classic.

And of course, neither are a patch on the Fish-Slapping Dance.

Tim Delaney
From: Peter Maas on
Peter Maas schrieb:
> But tuples mean threefold, twofold etc. and the Latin equivalents
> are triplex duplex simples.

triplex duplex simplex

Peter Maas, Aachen
From: Steve Horsley on
Paddy wrote:
> Its tupple surely.
>
> The following shows that we are not the first to ponder this:
>
> http://www.jot.fm/issues/issue_2003_03/column9
>
> Stick tuple into the Windosw XP speech properties preview box and hit
> preview-voice, it says tupple not toople. :-)

Which only goes to prove that it really should be two-pull.
From: Peter Hansen on
Roy Smith wrote:
> Peter Maas <peter.maas(a)somewhere.com> wrote:
>
>>Latin n-tuple
>>... ...
>>triplex triple
>>duplex duple
>>simplex simple
>

> Would a 9-tuple be a nipple?

Perhaps, but if you're a dairy farmer, four nipples would definitely be
a "two-pull" again...