From: Rich on
"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl(a)gol.com> wrote in

> "SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:
>> On 27/05/10 10:05 PM, RichA wrote:
>>> And yet they look so pristine in the commercials...
>>> Like on Star Trek, all the touch-screen computer and ship control..
>>> They probably went through more Windex than anti-matter.
>>>
>>> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274870471700457526860244057
>>> 4716.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird
>>
>> I think it's strange that styluses seem to be taboo. They worked well
>> on the Palm and Windows Mobile PDAs, and on the tables running the
>> Microsoft Tablet OS. They allowed you to draw, sign things, and kept
>> the screen clean.
>
> My take is that groping for a stylus is enough of a pain (and the tiny
> screens so ugly) that those things were usable only by the perversely
> motivated: the "I'm more high-tech than you" crowd hell-bent on
> proving they've got the right idea. But watching my friends use their
> iPods/iPhones/whatever, it's clear that they represent an multiple
> order of magnitude improvement in usability over anything previous.
> Flipping amazing. (And this is from a dyed-in-the-wool Mac hater who
> bought a Kindle before the iPad came out just to spite Apple (the
> Kindle UI is horrible; getting to a reference number to click it is
> almost impossible; it's a major disaster, but I love the thing since I
> can buy gobs of books and not have to throw any away).)
>
> So get over it and wash your hands more often: touch screens are
> worlds better than anything else.
>
> Maybe safe-solvent soaked screen-wipes will become a big business<g>.

It's a $900 device that falls short of the average $300 netbook in terms
of capability.
From: Jeff R. on

"Rich" <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message

> It's a $900 device that falls short of the average $300 netbook in terms
> of capability.

Would please direct me to a $300 netbook using a touch-screen with the same
facilities? (Two-finger zoom, scroll, rotate...)

Oh, yes... and a similar form factor... like... y'know.... *thickness*!

--
Jeff R.
(No? Then how about a $900 netbook...)

From: nospam on
In article <4c00c550$0$17175$afc38c87(a)news.optusnet.com.au>, Jeff R.
<contact(a)this.ng> wrote:

> "Rich" <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > It's a $900 device that falls short of the average $300 netbook in terms
> > of capability.
>
> Would please direct me to a $300 netbook using a touch-screen with the same
> facilities? (Two-finger zoom, scroll, rotate...)

and an ips displays. netbooks have far worse displays.

> Oh, yes... and a similar form factor... like... y'know.... *thickness*!

and one with a built in gps, compass and no-contract 3g radio, with 10+
hour battery life.

how well does that netbook work when rotated to portrait orientation?
From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital David J. Littleboy <davidjl(a)gol.com> wrote:

> "SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:
>> On 27/05/10 10:05 PM, RichA wrote:
>>> And yet they look so pristine in the commercials...
>>> Like on Star Trek, all the touch-screen computer and ship control..
>>> They probably went through more Windex than anti-matter.
>>>
>>> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704717004575268602440574716.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird
>>
>> I think it's strange that styluses seem to be taboo. They worked well on
>> the Palm and Windows Mobile PDAs, and on the tables running the Microsoft
>> Tablet OS. They allowed you to draw, sign things, and kept the screen
>> clean.

> My take is that groping for a stylus is enough of a pain (and the tiny
> screens so ugly) that those things were usable only by the perversely
> motivated: the "I'm more high-tech than you" crowd hell-bent on proving
> they've got the right idea. But watching my friends use their
> iPods/iPhones/whatever, it's clear that they represent an multiple order of
> magnitude improvement in usability over anything previous. Flipping amazing.
> (And this is from a dyed-in-the-wool Mac hater who bought a Kindle before
> the iPad came out just to spite Apple (the Kindle UI is horrible; getting to
> a reference number to click it is almost impossible; it's a major disaster,
> but I love the thing since I can buy gobs of books and not have to throw any
> away).)

> So get over it and wash your hands more often: touch screens are worlds
> better than anything else.

> Maybe safe-solvent soaked screen-wipes will become a big business<g>.

I don't understand why anyone should have a problem with touchscreen
hygiene who doesn't have to disinfect money before touching it.

--
Chris Malcolm
Warning: none of the above is indisputable fact.
From: Mike Russell on
On 29 May 2010 10:52:30 GMT, Chris Malcolm wrote:

> I don't understand why anyone should have a problem with touchscreen
> hygiene who doesn't have to disinfect money before touching it.

They actually may. OCDC is a fairly common problem affecting thousands of
people, and has only been diagnosed in the last several decades. The cost
of making fun of these people can be very high, in human terms, and IMHO
not worth the couple of laughs we may get.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last