From: Peter on
"Mark L" <markl071616(a)yaspamhoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 May 2010 16:46:12 -0400, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net>
> wrote:
>
>>My psychologist friends tell me that our laughter is a form of denial.
>
> Sure. They're just your "friends". We get it. Perhaps you are making
> better
> progress if you think of them that way.

And exactly what is wrong if I do use one. Or, are you afraid of what might
come out.

You are about as funny as a rubber crutch. Maybe you need treatment, badly.
Not my concern though. I really don't have to deal with you in any fashion.

--
Peter

From: Mike Russell on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 17:42:20 -0700 (PDT), Twibil wrote:

> They simply turn it around and decide that *you* are the one who's not
> firmly bolted to the floor.

You're using the behavior of a mentally ill person to justify your similar
behavior in responding to them.

>> Is it worth it for just a few snappy replies to someone who you find
>> irritating? IMHO, no.
>
> Fine. So don't do it.

That goes without saying, and I'm asking you to question the validity of
using mental health as a way to poke fun at someone. Would you do it for
other diseases - for example "Hah, that shot's so blurry, you must have
Parkinsons"? I'd say you are too thoughtful a person to do that. For
similar reasons, it's uncool to poke fun at mental health issues.

> Meanwhile, somebody needs to speak to you about your hobby of being a
> net-nanny.

Talk away - it's a free world. I'm not forbidding you to do anything, or
taking away your evening milk and crackers. All I'm saying is that it's
worth considering that, in the name of fun and games, you may be causing
pain by making fun of people with mental illnesses, and that pain is out of
proportion to the amount of fun you are having.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
From: Mike Russell on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 19:33:46 -0500, Die Wahrheit wrote:

> On Sat, 29 May 2010 17:01:31 -0700, Mike Russell
> <groupsRE(a)MOVEcurvemeister.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 30 May 2010 06:20:52 +0900, David J. Littleboy wrote:
>>
>>> It's about usability, not neuroses. That's Rich/RichA's problem; the rest of
>>> us are taking photos.
>>
>>If your really believe he has problems, then you may be causing him harm
>>just to get a reaction and continue what appears to be a sport. If you are
>>using mental illness to poke fun at him, without thinking that he is really
>>mentally ill, then you may be indirectly hurting individuals who may read
>>this exchange now or at a later time, who are afflicted.
>>
>>Is it worth it for just a few snappy replies to someone who you find
>>irritating? IMHO, no.
>
> For people with emotional or mental disorders: forums, newsgroups, chat
> rooms, and other forms of online text communications are possibly *the*
> worst place for them to get their needs met.

This is true enough, however my comments are directed at people who do
*not* suffer from a mental disorder. Can't we consider the effects that
our comments will have on others, and take responsibility for what we do?

> Due to the very nature of
> being able to read anything they want to or project into others' written
> words, they only end up compounding their psychoses and skewed emotional
> states. They are purposely choosing to make themselves worse, never better.

All true - if only because people with similar disorders may have at one
another like cats and dogs.

My suggestion, and it's only that, is to think twice before making fun of
someone, using a mental illness as the barb. You would not make fun of
someone with a physical disease, and a mental disease is no different.

I apologize for being repetitious, and I will stop responding to this
thread, unless I think of something new to say, which is unlikely.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
From: Twibil on
On May 29, 5:12 pm, Mark L <markl071...(a)yaspamhoo.com> wrote:

> >My psychologist friends tell me that our laughter is a form of denial.
>
> Sure. They're just your "friends". We get it. Perhaps you are making better
> progress if you think of them that way.

Um, psychologists have friends too, just like everyone else.

Of course, they tend to stay clear of people who they think are likely
end up on the couch some day, which may explain why you don't have any
friends in that professon.

From: Twibil on
On May 29, 5:33 pm, Die Wahrheit <diewahrh...(a)somewherehonest.net>
wrote:

> For people with emotional or mental disorders: forums, newsgroups, chat
> rooms, and other forms of online text communications are possibly *the*
> worst place for them to get their needs met. Due to the very nature of
> being able to read anything they want to or project into others' written
> words, they only end up compounding their psychoses and skewed emotional
> states.

This is mostly true and fairly insightful.

> They are purposely choosing to make themselves worse, never better.

This is just plain wrong: psychotics by their very nature almost never
think that there's anything really wrong with themselves, so from
their viewpoint they're not choosing to make themselves "worse".
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Can't get a sharp picture
Next: another cool shot