From: Jeff Jones on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 21:15:42 -0700, Mike Russell
<groupsRE(a)MOVEcurvemeister.com> wrote:

>You would not make fun of
>someone with a physical disease, and a mental disease is no different.

That depend on the situation. A quadriplegic, for example, flopping around
on the dance-floor loudly proclaiming he's going to be a famous ballroom
dancer one day with all his limitations just as they are, or worse,
eventually gets pretty funny. I believe it's the combination of mental and
physical illness and nobody caring enough to stop him from making a fool of
himself, egging him on even, which would lead to it being nothing but
humor. There's nothing left to do but laugh at all of them involved.

A similar situation would be that of a blind photographer.

From: Mike Russell on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 22:33:12 -0700 (PDT), Twibil wrote:

> Mike, I majored in psychology and worked in a mental hospital for two
> years after college. Don't try to teach your grandfather to chew
> cheese.

LOL. We say suck eggs on this side of the pond. So how long would you
have continued to hold your job if your supervisor learned that you used
your mental health training to torment the inmates? Not very long. By
the same token, I suggest, neither should you torment the inmates of this
newsgroup.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital Peter <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
> "Mike Russell" <groupsRE(a)MOVEcurvemeister.com> wrote in message
>> On 29 May 2010 10:52:30 GMT, Chris Malcolm wrote:
>>
>>> I don't understand why anyone should have a problem with touchscreen
>>> hygiene who doesn't have to disinfect money before touching it.
>>
>> They actually may. OCDC is a fairly common problem affecting thousands of
>> people, and has only been diagnosed in the last several decades. The cost
>> of making fun of these people can be very high, in human terms, and IMHO
>> not worth the couple of laughs we may get.

> To a certain extent all of us have our quirks. I have known several of these
> people and see their life as sad, not funny. I suspect when we make fun of
> them we are expressing fear that we may have the problem, too. My
> psychologist friends tell me that our laughter is a form of denial.

Many people are drawn to the study of psychology because they find it
as difficult to understand themselves as other people. They may if
they do their homework end up knowing a lot of interesting and useful
psychological research. But their opinions should be treated with
polite scepticism.

--
Chris Malcolm
From: Me on
On 28/05/2010 5:05 p.m., RichA wrote:
> And yet they look so pristine in the commercials...
> Like on Star Trek, all the touch-screen computer and ship control..
> They probably went through more Windex than anti-matter.
>
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704717004575268602440574716.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird

There's an "oleophobic coating" on the screen, to resist oily
fingerprints. It appears to be a fluorochemical coating.
These are quite effective as oleophobic treatments, but for one problem
- they don't repel silicones. Silicone oils tend to spread out as a
monolayer over the fluoropolymer surface, and as the silicone isn't
oleophobic, then the surface completely loses it's oleophobic property.
It's then very hard to remove the silicone oil without damaging the
fluoropolyomer or substrate.
So, perhaps a useless fact for the day, but particularly for women who
use hand cremes and moisturiser, most of those contain silicone oil
(often stated in ingredients as dimethicone, sometimes PDMS), then I
wouldn't expect the oil/finger grease resistant treatment to last very
long at all.
From: Peter on
"Chris Malcolm" <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote in message
> In rec.photo.digital Peter <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>> "Mike Russell" <groupsRE(a)MOVEcurvemeister.com> wrote in message

>>> They actually may. OCDC is a fairly common problem affecting thousands
>>> of
>>> people, and has only been diagnosed in the last several decades. The
>>> cost
>>> of making fun of these people can be very high, in human terms, and IMHO
>>> not worth the couple of laughs we may get.
>
>> To a certain extent all of us have our quirks. I have known several of
>> these
>> people and see their life as sad, not funny. I suspect when we make fun
>> of
>> them we are expressing fear that we may have the problem, too. My
>> psychologist friends tell me that our laughter is a form of denial.
>
> Many people are drawn to the study of psychology because they find it
> as difficult to understand themselves as other people. They may if
> they do their homework end up knowing a lot of interesting and useful
> psychological research. But their opinions should be treated with
> polite scepticism.

Even if it a conclusion drawn from meaningful, peer reviewed research?
Yes we should be skeptical about the research and carefully look to see if
the research supports the conclusion.

--
Peter

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last