From: Simon on

Golan Klinger wrote:
> Legality aside, what's to stop someone from downloading the ROMs and
> burning themselves a set?
>
> --
> Golan Klinger
> Dark is the suede that mows like a harvest.

nothing.

From: Brian Ketterling on
Elerion wrote:
> I want to get a few jiffydos-es for c128 and 1571, but not only i
> can't access his site because he has some paranoid security installed,
> all mails I send to his address get bounced...

I haven't tried e-mailing him, but the site loads OK for me.

I see he now has JiffyDOS for the VIC-20, which is pretty cool, with
sub-versions for NTSC, PAL, and Swedish/Finnish PAL (Swedish keyboard &
charset). Also the C-16 and Plus/4, even more non-CBM drives, and the
TurboMaster CPU.

Brian

From: Brian Ketterling on
Golan Klinger wrote:
> jimmie wrote:
>
>> is jiffy dos still available for 64 and 1541???
>
> Sort of. Maurice Randall owns the rights to, makes and sells JiffyDOS. The
> thing is, it's hard to get a hold of him. Many have placed orders (with
> and without prepayment) and not received their goods so proceed with
> caution.

I see Maurice is trying to address this valid concern. For example,
JiffyDOS chips for the 64 and 1541 are both "in stock", while the FD-2000
drive has a "2 month wait".

Brian

From: Dave McMurtrie on
Brian Ketterling wrote:

>Golan Klinger wrote:
>

>>jimmie wrote:
>>

>>>is jiffy dos still available for 64 and 1541???
>>>

>>Sort of. Maurice Randall owns the rights to, makes and sells JiffyDOS. The
>>thing is, it's hard to get a hold of him. Many have placed orders (with
>>and without prepayment) and not received their goods so proceed with
>>caution.
>>

>I see Maurice is trying to address this valid concern. For example,
>JiffyDOS chips for the 64 and 1541 are both "in stock", while the FD-2000
>drive has a "2 month wait".

I wouldn't bet on the accuracy of those wait times. I ordered a
SuperCPU 128 and HD-4000 on March 3, 2006. My last e-mail to Maurice on
June 1, 2006 went unanswered.

The Turbo232 I ordered from Maurice in March 2005 was shipped on time.

Thanks,

Dave
From: Anders Carlsson on
Elerion <elerion_removethespam_(a)vip.hr> writes:

> Bottom line, I find it cheap to charge for 20 years old abandonware.

How did you come up with the conclusion that JiffyDOS is abandonware,
if there is someone who 1) legally has obtained rights to manufacture
and produce the chips and 2) still develops new versions? The VIC-20
version of JiffyDOS was finished this spring if I recall correctly,
making it a product that is less than a year old.

Whether or not anyone is using their Commodore computers to make
money is quite irrelevant. I'm not using my home PC to make money,
and therefore I should be granted a free license of Windows XP Home.
Sure, I can obtain one from piracy, which is the same way you would
obtain JiffyDOS illegally, but it was not the question.

--
Anders Carlsson
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last