From: Elerion on
On 9 Sep 2006 14:52:28 +0200, Anders Carlsson
<anders.carlsson(a)sfks.se> wrote:

> How did you come up with the conclusion that JiffyDOS is abandonware,
> if there is someone who 1) legally has obtained rights to manufacture
> and produce the chips and 2) still develops new versions? The VIC-20
> version of JiffyDOS was finished this spring if I recall correctly,
> making it a product that is less than a year old.

If there was new Jiffydos 7.0 for C64/128/drives for sale, that would
be a different story.
Jiffydos for VIC-20 never had sales potential, so it wasn't released
along C64 version 20 years ago.
We can all agree that It's a nice thing that Maurice has done it. I'm
sure that hours and hours were spent in development, and this is
something we all respect. But if the job was done solely for profit,
it was a poor investment.

> Whether or not anyone is using their Commodore computers to make
> money is quite irrelevant. I'm not using my home PC to make money,
> and therefore I should be granted a free license of Windows XP Home.

Oh yes it's relevant.
If you are selling commercial software, you'll form the price this
way: Minimize the price to achieve maximum revenue.
min(Price per unit) * max(number of potential customers) =
max(revenue).
If potential customers are too few (as in case of Jiffydos), lowering
the price will not achiveve revenue increase, therefore you will
calculate the price of product in a way that it significantly reflects
on the potential revenue customer can gain from using this software.
For this kind of product, calculated prices are usually very high, but
in case of Jiffydos it's 0.

> Sure, I can obtain one from piracy, which is the same way you would
> obtain JiffyDOS illegally, but it was not the question.

First of all, as a software/solution developer, my feelings towards
piracy are strong negative.
Second of all, I still have and use legal Jiffydos chips I obtained in
1991 (if I recall correctly).
Let me ask you this.
Would you pay for Windows 95 today for the same price it was sold back
in 95?
Would you pay for 1985 car for a price of a new one?
Guess not.
But new Windows and new car you will buy without questions.
If you consider your 1985 car an oldtimer, and in your mind it worths
more, you are then fortunate because 1000's of other people have
probably scrapped the car a long time ago, so you can find parts for
it in a junkyard or on e-bay.

If you must buy a new part. It will cost like hell because it will be
custom made, but at least noone is holding copyrigt and you can ask
anyone to make this part for you.

Take Apple for another example. All obsolete versions of their OS are
declared freeware and are freely downloadable from their site. Even
the price is 0, they still remain holder of the copyright, but provide
no support, so there are no aditional costs.
From: Leif Bloomquist on
"Elerion" <elerion_removethespam_(a)vip.hr> wrote in message

> If potential customers are too few (as in case of Jiffydos),

I disagree - it seems to me like there is a huge demand for JiffyDOS, for
the C64 at least, so much so that Maurice can't keep up. Maurice was
selling quite a few units each week at current prices until he disappeared
again. In fact, a friend of mine in Montreal recently started a JiffyDOS
installation service (with JiffyDOS chips from Maurice).

From: MagerValp on

E> Would you pay for Windows 95 today for the same price it was sold
E> back in 95?

No, since there are newer and better alternatives now. However,
JiffyDOS has not been replaced by something newer and better, and
offers the same value today that it did 10 years ago.

--
___ . . . . . + . . o
_|___|_ + . + . + . Per Olofsson, arkadspelare
From: Brandon on
Leif Bloomquist wrote on Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:38:42 -0400:

> "Elerion" <elerion_removethespam_(a)vip.hr> wrote in message
>
>> If potential customers are too few (as in case of Jiffydos),
>
> I disagree - it seems to me like there is a huge demand for JiffyDOS,

I am only curious, not trying to argue anything: what do you mean by
huge demand? I have a hard time believing anyone could earn a living
selling a hardware mod for Commodore machines.

--
-Brandon
http://www.brandonstaggs.com/c64.html
From: Sam Gillett on

"Brandon" wrote ...

> Leif Bloomquist wrote on Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:38:42 -0400:
>
>> "Elerion" <elerion_removethespam_(a)vip.hr> wrote in message
>>
>>> If potential customers are too few (as in case of Jiffydos),
>>
>> I disagree - it seems to me like there is a huge demand for JiffyDOS,
>
> I am only curious, not trying to argue anything: what do you mean by
> huge demand? I have a hard time believing anyone could earn a living
> selling a hardware mod for Commodore machines.

The Commodore hardware and software that Maurice sold was just a sideline.
As I understand it, he made his living as the owner/operator of an automotive
service shop.
--
Best regards,

Sam Gillett

Change is inevitable,
except from vending machines!

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: X1541 adaptors
Next: Converting Commodore tapes to TAP files