From: Brandon on
christianlott1 wrote on 14 Sep 2006 11:09:03 -0700:

> What is it that you need jiffy dos for?

Here's a review I found:
http://www.geocities.com/cdsixfour/cmdrevjd.htm

--
-Brandon
http://www.brandonstaggs.com/c64.html
From: christianlott1 on
I know what it does.

64hdd is much better than messing with that. The upside is that -it's
supported-.

You order a product, you get a product.

Christian

From: MagerValp on

CL> I know what it does. 64hdd is much better than messing with that.
CL> The upside is that -it's supported-.

The downside is that a lot of software doesn't work with 64HDD,
whereas everything runs with JiffyDOS.

Of course, the best option is to have both.

--
___ . . . . . + . . o
_|___|_ + . + . + . Per Olofsson, arkadspelare
From: Elerion on
On 13 Sep 2006 22:42:11 +0200, MagerValp wrote:

>E> Would you pay for Windows 95 today for the same price it was sold
>E> back in 95?
>
>No, since there are newer and better alternatives now. However,
>JiffyDOS has not been replaced by something newer and better, and
>offers the same value today that it did 10 years ago.

Oh really?

I'm supprised you don't understand the point I'm trying to make.

You are a programmer. Did you ever consider modifying jiffydos? (tweak
it a bit... add a few new features... You suspect that it could
perform faster, yet compatibility can be retained...)
Ofcourse not. You don't own the copyright.
That's exactly what made jiffydos obsolete.

(s-jiffydos and piffydos were a step in a good direction, but too few
people are actually using them, because of the fact that they would
have to make an illegal copy of jiffydos in order to do so...)

Consider this scenario:
If someone kept the rights to hm... let's say Action Replay ROM
untill today. It would still be the best cartridge, and there would be
no better alternatives (as you put it.) As a result of this scenario,
RR would never been developed...

And I bet that in last five years numer of sold RR's are at least 20
times bigger then then the number of sold jiffydos'es.

Am I right, or am I right?
From: MagerValp on

MV> No, since there are newer and better alternatives now. However,
MV> JiffyDOS has not been replaced by something newer and better, and
MV> offers the same value today that it did 10 years ago.

E> I'm supprised you don't understand the point I'm trying to make.

You're just not making a very good point.

E> You are a programmer. Did you ever consider modifying jiffydos?

Sure, I hacked in the Swedish keyboard layout, and sent it to Maurice
who added it as an official option.

E> (tweak it a bit... add a few new features... You suspect that it
E> could perform faster, yet compatibility can be retained...)
E> Ofcourse not. You don't own the copyright. That's exactly what made
E> jiffydos obsolete.

Um, no.

E> (s-jiffydos and piffydos were a step in a good direction, but too
E> few people are actually using them, because of the fact that they
E> would have to make an illegal copy of jiffydos in order to do
E> so...)

No, you can make a perfectly legal copy. Just distribute it as a patch
program that reads from the jiffydos kernal and writes a new rom image
to disk, that the user can burn himself.

E> If someone kept the rights to hm... let's say Action Replay ROM
E> untill today.

They did, Datel just doesn't care about what we do with it (unless I
missed something, RR is an unofficial hack).

E> It would still be the best cartridge, and there would be no better
E> alternatives (as you put it.) As a result of this scenario, RR
E> would never been developed...

RR is a reverse engineered hardware clone which is perfectly legal.
Users have to flash the copyrighted AR firmware themselves.

--
_|___|_ + . + . + . Per Olofsson, arkadspelare
o-o . . . o + MagerValp(a)cling.gu.se
- + + . http://www.cling.gu.se/~cl3polof/
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: X1541 adaptors
Next: Converting Commodore tapes to TAP files