From: mp on
i've heard of having a login script run to compare server copy to local copy
dates(of a file)
i've written a vbs file i thnk is more or less correct :-) how do i get
that to run on login?

From: Al Dunbar on

"mp" <nospam(a)Thanks.com> wrote in message
> i've heard of having a login script run to compare server copy to local
> copy dates(of a file)
> i've written a vbs file i thnk is more or less correct :-) how do i get
> that to run on login?

There are a couple of ways of doing that (see below), but the choice depends
on a number of things you have not told us about your environment:

- put a shortcut to your script in the all users startup folder
- create a logon script local to the computer(s)
- place it in the netlogon share on a domain controller, and update all
accounts to reference it
- define a logon script using group policy.

/Al

From: KMS on
On Jul 28, 12:27 am, "Al Dunbar" <aland...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> "mp" <nos...(a)Thanks.com> wrote in message

> > i've heard of having a login script run to compare server copy to local
> > copy dates(of a file)
> > i've written a vbs file i thnk is more or less correct :-)  how do i get
> > that to run on login?
>
> There are a couple of ways of doing that (see below), but the choice depends
> on a number of things you have not told us about your environment:
>
> - put a shortcut to your script in the all users startup folder
> - create a logon script local to the computer(s)
> - place it in the netlogon share on a domain controller, and update all
> accounts to reference it
> - define a logon script using group policy.
>
> /Al

I personally recommend going with login script through Group policy if
possible since that gives more control in many occasions. However it
depends on ur exact requirement. Also lets know more about the
requirement so that can assess modifications to ur script to act as
login script

From: mp on

"KMS" <mohan.kammili(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jul 28, 12:27 am, "Al Dunbar" <aland...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> "mp" <nos...(a)Thanks.com> wrote in message

> > i've heard of having a login script run to compare server copy to local
> > copy dates(of a file)
> > i've written a vbs file i thnk is more or less correct :-) how do i get
> > that to run on login?
>
> There are a couple of ways of doing that (see below), but the choice
> depends
> on a number of things you have not told us about your environment:
>
> - put a shortcut to your script in the all users startup folder
> - create a logon script local to the computer(s)
> - place it in the netlogon share on a domain controller, and update all
> accounts to reference it
> - define a logon script using group policy.
>
> /Al

I personally recommend going with login script through Group policy if
possible since that gives more control in many occasions. However it
depends on ur exact requirement. Also lets know more about the
requirement so that can assess modifications to ur script to act as
login script

Thanks Al and KMS,
sadly i'm not an IT guy so know little about Groups/networking etc. I do
programming in autocad and vb6 and some dotnet but have always been weak in
general windows knowlege.
I think we're in workgroups. I've been told the server is sql server.
Most of the boxes are xp, one is win7.

I may end up putting this in the autocad environment so when acad starts up
the filecomparison/copy is done. but for my knowlege i'd like to know the
best way to do it at windows logon as well.

can you explain how to "login script through Group policy "

re: al's option 1 above (put in all users startup) -
i thought that meant a folder under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
called startup but i don't see one on this laptop? Do I just create a
folder named Startup under AllUsers and whatever shortcuts are in there will
run?

thanks for your help and sorry for my ignorance.
mark

From: Al Dunbar on

> "KMS" <mohan.kammili(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jul 28, 12:27 am, "Al Dunbar" <aland...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> "mp" <nos...(a)Thanks.com> wrote in message

>> > i've heard of having a login script run to compare server copy to local
>> > copy dates(of a file)
>> > i've written a vbs file i thnk is more or less correct :-) how do i get
>> > that to run on login?
>>
>> There are a couple of ways of doing that (see below), but the choice
>> depends
>> on a number of things you have not told us about your environment:
>>
>> - put a shortcut to your script in the all users startup folder
>> - create a logon script local to the computer(s)
>> - place it in the netlogon share on a domain controller, and update all
>> accounts to reference it
>> - define a logon script using group policy.
>>
>> /Al
>
> I personally recommend going with login script through Group policy if
> possible since that gives more control in many occasions. However it
> depends on ur exact requirement. Also lets know more about the
> requirement so that can assess modifications to ur script to act as
> login script
>

> Thanks Al and KMS,
> sadly i'm not an IT guy so know little about Groups/networking etc. I do
> programming in autocad and vb6 and some dotnet but have always been weak
> in general windows knowlege.
> I think we're in workgroups. I've been told the server is sql server.
> Most of the boxes are xp, one is win7.

Could be a workgroup or a domain. Can you logon to two different XP
computers using the same account and password? if you change your password
while logged on at one XP system, does this new password get you in on the
other? If you answer Yes to both questions, you are likely in a domain
environment. If No, more likely a workgroup environment, but it could still
be.

To find out for sure, right-click on the "my computer" icon, select
"properties", then click on the "Computer Name" tab.

domain ==> allows for all of my suggestions
workgroup ==> only the first two would be possible.

> I may end up putting this in the autocad environment so when acad starts
> up the filecomparison/copy is done. but for my knowlege i'd like to know
> the best way to do it at windows logon as well.

If this would work, and if the file operations are only required for autocad
use, this might be the best approach. It might mean running the scripts more
often, which could be a nuisance if they make you wait. But if the server
files might be updated between autocad sessions, running at logon might not
get you the most up to date information.

Regardless, if the files being compared are "in use" at the time, this might
render the result of the comparisons invalid. If the files are "used" by
Autocad, then it seems likely this would be a problem, and you'd have to run
them before starting autocad. Worse yet, if you adapt your script to
actually update files that are out of date, this will further require the
appropriate level of permissions.

In terms of "the best way to do something at windows logon", I agree with
KMS that the group policy approach is the "best of breed" in many ways. But,
of course, this requires a domain environment. But even if you have such an
environment and are not already running logon scripts it might just be too
much work with too much risk associated to develop Group Policy just to
support a single application and/or user when a simpler approach works OK.

> can you explain how to "login script through Group policy "

If you do not have the IT knowledge to manage Group Policy, create logon
scripts on the domain controller, configure accounts to run logon scripts,
then it is likely that you do not have the privileges required to do so. Not
only that, but it would be highly unfortunate if you did.

> re: al's option 1 above (put in all users startup) -
> i thought that meant a folder under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
> called startup but i don't see one on this laptop? Do I just create a
> folder named Startup under AllUsers and whatever shortcuts are in there
> will run?

Assuming a standard XP installation, the shortcuts could go here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

to affect all users. This would require administrator privileges on the
workstation. To have them run only for you, you could put them here:

C:\Documents and Settings\mark\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

> thanks for your help and sorry for my ignorance.

You're welcome, and no need to apologize; we are all ignorant of things we
haven't learned yet. It would have been a problem had you not recognized and
admitted your own lack of knowledge.

As an aside, and assuming that the file comparison needs to be done before
each autocad session, you could modify your script to start autocad after
doing the file comparisons. You would then just have to remember to start
autocad by running that script instead of running it directly.

/Al