From: David Mark on
On Aug 2, 8:07 am, "MarkHanif...(a)gmail.com" <markhanif...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> ...and don't forget about the people using Lynx,

People using Lynx (and other text browsers) include blind people and
AIUI some navy personnel.

> and the people using
> IE4,

That's the typical, outlandish non-argument spewed by people ignorant
of the fact that many of these "widget libraries" barely work in a
handful of the *very latest* browsers.

> and the people with Javascript turned off,

Lots of those (some have no choice). It's perfectly ridiculous to
design a Website to display a blank (white screen of death) to those
people. And, of course, several of the qooxdoo demos (presumably the
best things they've made) display such results in the latest versions
of their "supported" browsers with scripting turned *on*. At various
times, Kenny's application has done that too.

> and the people that
> don't have internet.

More like the people who don't have high-speed connections. Lots of
those too and they can't be expected to wait 3-4 minutes for a page to
load.

> Kenny, they're significant.  Don't deny them.

The joke is on you.
From: Richard Cornford on
On Aug 2, 12:26 pm, Kenneth Tilton wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
<snip>

>>> Works for me in Safari on Windows* and the Mac. And iCab on
>>> the Mac and Chrome on Ubuntu.
>
>> You are falling into the trap of assuming that everyone has
>> the identical setup.
>
> Nope, I was just saying, it works for me. A response of the
> same thoroughness and quality and worth as the report.
>
>> And you didn't even ask (or specify) the versions of
>> those browsers.
>
> Just cutting my losses: setup info is not offered up front
> in this genius NG by people that know better so I have to
> think they are not meant as serious reports.
<snip>

You appear to be labouring under a misconception that the comments you
have been receiving represent bug or error reports. They are not;
instead they are nothing but a general announcement of the results of
assessing the quality of the 'web application' that you have been
oscillating between calling finished and a train wreck. The initial
assessment of a web application is fairly simple; load it into some
random (but usually fairly common/popular) web browser and see if
operates without script errors, is useable (in the broadest sense) and
(ultimately) does what it is asserted to do. The feedback from such an
assessment might be no more than pointing out the fact that it errors
at some point (as it loads in your case), that it is too slow to be
useable or that the UI does not function in some way in a particular
browser.

This sort of response is reasonable in the face of assertions such as
that qooxdoo allows an individual to crate a web application in X
weeks of work, because if the 'application' is actually a train wreck
when tired, how long it took to create that train wreck is of not
significance at all (because any fool can rapidly create a train
wreck, with or without qooxdoo). What an independent observer,
interested in qooxdoo is interested in is how long it takes to create
the finished application, where an early symptom of being 'finished'
would be not providing grounds for criticism following relatively
superficial testing.

Making a proper bug report would imply a desire to help you, and given
your attitude and behaviour in this group over the last year or so I
doubt that there are many left who would consider it worth their
effort to try to help you. On the other hand, even without any desire
to help you there is still the reoccurring warning that what you see
from wherever it you observe from does not correspond with what others
are seeing from wherever they are observing from. It suggests that
chanting "works for me" is not the rout to what independent observers
are going to agree is 'finished'.

Richard.
From: David Mark on
On Aug 2, 7:26 am, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
> > But you didn't get the comparison.  The basic gist is that 5% is a
> > significant percentage of the population.
>
> Think business, not coverage. Also cost/benefit. er, and retail.

As I've told you before, there is no extra cost associated with doing
things right. If anything, it's much cheaper. Of course, if you have
no idea what you are doing, you will fail either way.

> >> Works for me in Safari on Windows* and the Mac. And iCab on the Mac and
> >> Chrome on Ubuntu.
>
> > You are falling into the trap of assuming that everyone has the
> > identical setup.
>
> Nope, I was just saying, it works for me.

You have a long history of saying that. It's meaningless when reports
are coming in from all corners saying your application is the white
screen of death or takes ten minutes to load or fails to handle
keystrokes properly.

> A response of the same
> thoroughness and quality and worth as the report.

People report bugs to you because you are the author. Your dubious
non-bug reports are a waste of time.

> >  And you didn't even ask (or specify) the versions of
> > those browsers.
>
> Just cutting my losses: setup info is not offered up front in this
> genius NG by people that know better so I have to think they are not
> meant as serious reports.

What the hell are you talking about?

> Reminds me of the guy who reported a bug in the Algebra engine I could
> not reproduce and who just disappeared when his report was questioned.

Likely from lack of interest or distaste for your constant denials.

> It would be an impressive bug given that the Algebra engine uses
> numerical methods to sanity check its symbolic work, so it almost looks
> like a deliberate mis-report.

You are paranoid (or trying to talk yourself into something). Why
would so many people around the globe misreport bugs to you? It
defies imagination.

> Taking some of you with a grain of salt
> these days.

Some of who?

> > As with most aspiring Web app developers, you are in way over your
> > head (and sinking fast).
>
> glub-glub.

When you hit bottom, realize that if you had spent more time learning
and less time whining about evil bug reporters...
From: MarkHaniford on

> The joke is on you.

No, the joke is you letting Kenny getting your panties in a bunch.
From: RobG on
On Aug 2, 12:25 pm, RobG <rg...(a)iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On Aug 2, 10:35 am, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > RobG wrote:
[...]
> > > Your site is still a "train wreck" in Safari, many buttons don't
> > > appear, the tying tutorial is hit and miss.
>
> > Works for me in Safari on Windows* and the Mac. And iCab on the Mac and
> > Chrome on Ubuntu.

How do you replicate the Windows delete key on a Mac laptop? The Mac
delete key is equivalent (more or less) to the Windows backspace key,
fn+delete is the equivalent of the delete key.

> I'll post some links to screen shots later.

It seems some of those issues have been fixed since Saturday when I
last looked. It would be good if the typing tutor displayed the
expected result.

There are still issues, entering:

1 < x < 5

results in "51" being displayed.

Entering:

1<x>5

results in:

1>x^5

Once an equality operator has been entered using the blue buttons,
trying to enter another results in the first one being changed.

In lesson 7, enter the characters as requested. Then enter ">", it
changes the equality operator several characters to the left, then
press "<". The last 4 characters disappear.

The only way to remove brackets seems to be to delete their entire
content.

The UI is slowly getting better, but it seems to have been a very
long, slow process.

Bumping up font sizes messes up the UI - it seems to be based on a
fixed layout and does't take account of font size.

The UI doesn't handle left-right scroll (tilt wheel mouse or swipe on
a touch pad) when horizontal scroll bars are displayed.

The above occurs in Safari 5 on Mac OS and IE 6 on Windows.

--
Rob