From: Kenneth Tilton on

> RobG <rgqld(a)iinet.net.au> wrote:

>> [...]
>> Mac and
>>
>> How do you replicate the Windows delete key on a Mac laptop? The Mac
>> delete key is equivalent (more or less) to the Windows backspace key,
>> fn+delete is the equivalent of the delete key.

A harder problem is interpreting the delete behavior in the context of
wysiwyg math. Not that I have not done it in prior versions of the
editor, just that it would be another sizable wodge of programming.

In the first* editor I did I went crazy and did /everything/ including
drag-select, shift-click select, and then of course cut and paste. I
spent hundreds of hours on that, rather stupidly I think now. Kids I am
sure do nothing but type and hit backspace as needed from the end to fix
things. I will over time work fancier editing back in, but there is just
little ol' me over here (and no money) so I am following the business
approach described here:

http://www.jwz.org/doc/worse-is-better.html

Mr. Cornford is now free to chant "worse is better" in any follow-up.

:)

kt

* I lied. It was prolly the second. I have written five and am trying to
talk myself out of a sixth.

--
http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
"The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."
From: Kenneth Tilton on
MarkHaniford(a)gmail.com wrote:
> ...and don't forget about the people using Lynx, and the people using
> IE4, and the people with Javascript turned off, and the people that
> don't have internet.
>
> Kenny, they're significant. Don't deny them.

Why does everyone think I have unlimited resources to achieve 100%
coverage of left-handed blind people not using computers on the initial
release?

Or is it the consensus that because I do not do something in the initial
release I will never do it (and hate blind people)?

You folks have the logical powers of... of... oh, right, a lynch mob.

sheesh. You are just lucky I have to wait five minutes to SCP over a new
release once in a while or you'd never see me around here. :)

The goal is to become profitable before I go bankrupt. Methinks I can do
that with 95% of the sighted right-handed people. If I cannot, the other
5% won't make ... oh, sorry, there I go again with the logic.

Ah, perfect. The copy is done. I added bookmark and back/forward tab
support using the simple qooxdoo hooks:

http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/1.1/back-button_and_bookmark_support

About twenty lines of code, thank you very much... ah, looks like I have
to write five more to make this work: http://teamalgebra.com/#TRAINING

kt

From: MarkHaniford on
On Aug 2, 11:40 am, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> MarkHanif...(a)gmail.com wrote:
> > ...and don't forget about the people using Lynx, and the people using
> > IE4, and the people with Javascript turned off, and the people that
> > don't have internet.
>
> > Kenny, they're significant.  Don't deny them.
>
> Why does everyone think I have unlimited resources to achieve 100%
> coverage of left-handed blind people not using computers on the initial
> release?
>
> Or is it the consensus that because I do not do something in the initial
> release I will never do it (and hate blind people)?
>
> You folks have the logical powers of... of... oh, right, a lynch mob.
>
> sheesh. You are just lucky I have to wait five minutes to SCP over a new
> release once in a while or you'd never see me around here. :)
>
> The goal is to become profitable before I go bankrupt. Methinks I can do
> that with 95% of the sighted right-handed people. If I cannot, the other
> 5% won't make ... oh, sorry, there I go again with the logic.
>
> Ah, perfect. The copy is done. I added bookmark and back/forward tab
> support using the simple qooxdoo hooks:
>
>    http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/1.1/back-button_and_bookmark_support
>
> About twenty lines of code, thank you very much... ah, looks like I have
> to write five more to make this work:http://teamalgebra.com/#TRAINING
>
> kt
>
> --http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
> "The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."
> Macworld

Kenny, out of all people, I would have thought you would've recognized
the sarcasm.

Cue David Mark to say in a Jocelyn Elders voice, "think of the
cheeeeeldren with Opera"

From: Kenneth Tilton on
David Mark wrote:
> On Aug 2, 11:39 am, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> The latter is a good way for folks to find out why I have been ranting
>> about Cells for going on 15 years.
>
> What folks in here know anything about your 15-year rant? Ah, perhaps
> you mean that other group. Why don't you leave this one out of it?

Because it is the most important advance in software development ever?

Dataflow (or pick your favorite alias) should have been there in the
beginning had we thought through what we were doing with computers. Now
many of us are catching up, in Lisp, Python, C++, Scheme, and even...
well, not sure where the dataflow lies in this bad boy:
http://www.openlaszlo.org/ I see a reference there to "Declarative LZX
language", I think that's it.

Read more here on the general idea:

http://wiki.github.com/kennytilton/cells/

kt

From: Kenneth Tilton on
MarkHaniford(a)gmail.com wrote:
> On Aug 2, 11:40 am, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> MarkHanif...(a)gmail.com wrote:
>>> ...and don't forget about the people using Lynx, and the people using
>>> IE4, and the people with Javascript turned off, and the people that
>>> don't have internet.
>>> Kenny, they're significant. Don't deny them.
>> Why does everyone think I have unlimited resources to achieve 100%
>> coverage of left-handed blind people not using computers on the initial
>> release?
>>
>> Or is it the consensus that because I do not do something in the initial
>> release I will never do it (and hate blind people)?
>>
>> You folks have the logical powers of... of... oh, right, a lynch mob.
>>
>> sheesh. You are just lucky I have to wait five minutes to SCP over a new
>> release once in a while or you'd never see me around here. :)
>>
>> The goal is to become profitable before I go bankrupt. Methinks I can do
>> that with 95% of the sighted right-handed people. If I cannot, the other
>> 5% won't make ... oh, sorry, there I go again with the logic.
>>
>> Ah, perfect. The copy is done. I added bookmark and back/forward tab
>> support using the simple qooxdoo hooks:
>>
>> http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/1.1/back-button_and_bookmark_support
>>
>> About twenty lines of code, thank you very much... ah, looks like I have
>> to write five more to make this work:http://teamalgebra.com/#TRAINING
>>
>> kt
>>
>> --http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
>> "The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."
>> Macworld
>
> Kenny, out of all people, I would have thought you would've recognized
> the sarcasm.

Actually, that was my first parse!

"People without the Internet" being my cue.

But then I remembered WebKit was available as a library to bring RIAs to
the desktop.... doh!

:)

kt

ps: this should work now: http://teamalgebra.com/#TRAINING