From: John Larkin on
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:49:44 -0700 (PDT), JeffM <jeffm_(a)email.com>
wrote:

>John Larkin wrote:
>>What's weird is that such people-crushing panics
>>don't seem to happen in the US or the UK[...]
>>There have been some really nasty ones at european sports events,
>>or the Haj.
>>
>So, tribal nationalism/localism or religious zealotry.
>Hmmm. What does the USA have that can instill such passion?

It's lack of passion that prevents panics. It's probably our socially
inherited British tendency to queue up in lines. Try buying something
in a crowded store in Moscow, or better yet try getting into or off of
an elevator there. Total push-and-shove hemispherical-cloud chaos.

>Consumerism.
>http://freefrombroke.com/2008/11/cost-of-black-friday-is-death-for-walmart-worker.html

Yes, that was weird. Greed, not fear.

John

From: John Devereux on
John Larkin <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> writes:

> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100724/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_love_parade_deaths_5
>

> What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen
> in the US or the UK. Anybody who has been in the French Quarter at
> Mardi Gras, or Times Square on New Years Eve, will appreciate the
> potential for panic. But it doesn't happen here.
>
> There have been some really nasty ones at european sports events, or
> the Haj.

We had a really bad one 20 years ago:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_Disaster>

But it wasn't due to panic, just bad design, policing and crowd
control. A disaster waiting to happen AIUI.

There seem to be some similarities to this one:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_City_stadium_fire>

--

John Devereux
From: Nunya on

Johnny "Trickle Charge" Larkin wrote:

> What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen
> in the US or the UK. Anybody who has been in the French Quarter at
> Mardi Gras, or Times Square on New Years Eve, will appreciate the
> potential for panic. But it doesn't happen here.
>
> There have been some really nasty ones at european sports events, or
> the Haj.
>
> John

You're a damned utter retard if you do not remember
the Who Concert at Cincinnati Riverfront Coliseum, 1979.

http://www.crowdsafe.com/taskrpt/

Out of eleven pairs of doors, only one pair was opened by
folks with mentalities just like yours. Got a new nickname
for ya, since you like making them up for me. Fits you well.
Gives you that "maybe one day he'll catch up" aura. You've
earned it, Trickle Charge.

ASCII ya later, "Trickle Charge". Bahahahaha!

Or should it be... Trickle Drain? Bwuahahahaha!
From: amdx on

--
MikeK
"Nunya" <jack_shephard(a)cox.net> wrote in message
On Jul 24, 10:30 am, Trickle Charge
<jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100724/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_love_parad...

Johnny "Trickle Charge" Larkin wrote:

> What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen
> in the US or the UK. Anybody who has been in the French Quarter at
> Mardi Gras, or Times Square on New Years Eve, will appreciate the
> potential for panic. But it doesn't happen here.
>
> There have been some really nasty ones at european sports events, or
> the Haj.
>
> John

> You're a damned utter retard if you do not remember
>the Who Concert at Cincinnati Riverfront Coliseum, 1979.

>http://www.crowdsafe.com/taskrpt/

Anyone else want to stand with me as a damned utter retard.
I don't remember it!
MikeK

From: Jim Thompson on
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:46:49 -0700 (PDT), Nunya
<jack_shephard(a)cox.net> wrote:

>On Jul 24, 10:30�am, Trickle Charge
><jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100724/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_love_parad...
>>
> Johnny "Trickle Charge" Larkin wrote:
>
>> What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen
>> in the US or the UK. Anybody who has been in the French Quarter at
>> Mardi Gras, or Times Square on New Years Eve, will appreciate the
>> potential for panic. But it doesn't happen here.
>>
>> There have been some really nasty ones at european sports events, or
>> the Haj.
>>
>> John
>
> You're a damned utter retard if you do not remember
>the Who Concert at Cincinnati Riverfront Coliseum, 1979.
>
>http://www.crowdsafe.com/taskrpt/
>
> Out of eleven pairs of doors, only one pair was opened by
>folks with mentalities just like yours. Got a new nickname
>for ya, since you like making them up for me. Fits you well.
>Gives you that "maybe one day he'll catch up" aura. You've
>earned it, Trickle Charge.
>
> ASCII ya later, "Trickle Charge". Bahahahaha!
>
> Or should it be... Trickle Drain? Bwuahahahaha!

Cincinnati, home of Jerry Springer. So what would you expect?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Only as good as the person behind the wheel.