From: John Larkin on

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100724/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_love_parade_deaths_5

What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen
in the US or the UK. Anybody who has been in the French Quarter at
Mardi Gras, or Times Square on New Years Eve, will appreciate the
potential for panic. But it doesn't happen here.

There have been some really nasty ones at european sports events, or
the Haj.

John

From: JeffM on
John Larkin wrote:
>What's weird is that such people-crushing panics
>don't seem to happen in the US or the UK[...]
>There have been some really nasty ones at european sports events,
>or the Haj.

So, tribal nationalism/localism or religious zealotry.
Hmmm. What does the USA have that can instill such passion?
Consumerism.
http://freefrombroke.com/2008/11/cost-of-black-friday-is-death-for-walmart-worker.html
From: Jim Thompson on
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:30:06 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100724/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_love_parade_deaths_5
>

>What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen
>in the US or the UK. Anybody who has been in the French Quarter at
>Mardi Gras, or Times Square on New Years Eve, will appreciate the
>potential for panic. But it doesn't happen here.
>
>There have been some really nasty ones at european sports events, or
>the Haj.
>
>John

Europeons are like a herd of steers... stampede at the snap of
fingers.

Unfortunately USA-ians are getting there. Everyone farts on Obama's
signal. That's why I avoid crowds... go to movies and eat out
weekdays and stay home weekends :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Only as good as the person behind the wheel.
From: Martin Riddle on

"John Larkin" <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in
message news:li8m46hbua3n349389dt6ofjvcvu5ib7d9(a)4ax.com...

> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100724/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_love_parade_deaths_5
>

> What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen
> in the US or the UK. Anybody who has been in the French Quarter at
> Mardi Gras, or Times Square on New Years Eve, will appreciate the
> potential for panic. But it doesn't happen here.
>
> There have been some really nasty ones at european sports events, or
> the Haj.
>
> John

We get them, at Wal-Mart's during Christmas sales ;)

I thought this was neat...
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/19/autobahn-party-german-hig_n_650771.html>

Westchester has something similar, Bicycle Sundays
<http://www.mylivingfit.com/2010/05/bronx-river-parkway-bicycle-sundays/>

Cheers

From: Richard Henry on
On Jul 24, 10:30 am, John Larkin
<jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100724/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_love_parad...
>
> What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen
> in the US or the UK. Anybody who has been in the French Quarter at
> Mardi Gras, or Times Square on New Years Eve, will appreciate the
> potential for panic. But it doesn't happen here.
>
> There have been some really nasty ones at european sports events, or
> the Haj.
>
> John

I got caught in one (crush, not stampede) in Las Vegas on the sidewalk
in front of the pirate show. People kept trying to get up front for a
good view, and those of us in the middle were getting squeezed. I was
with my two sons - I put one on my shoulders and someone else took the
other. Eventually the crowd parted and I took the boys out into the
street, which was safer despite the traffic.