From: Nico Coesel on
John Larkin <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:48:19 GMT, nico(a)puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel)
>wrote:
>
>>John Larkin <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>>

>>>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100724/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_love_parade_deaths_5
>>>

>>>What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen
>>>in the US or the UK. Anybody who has been in the French Quarter at
>>>Mardi Gras, or Times Square on New Years Eve, will appreciate the
>>>potential for panic. But it doesn't happen here.
>>
>>I did some research with Google and I'm afraid you are wrong:
>>
>>http://dolly.ninemsn.com.au/dollywood/gossip/976824/teen-hottie-justin-bieber-causes-stampede-at-us-mall
>

>One broken arm isn't very high on the tragedy scale.

Wait until someone breaks your arm :-) Anyway, people stampedes happen
all over the world.

nico(a)nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
From: John Larkin on
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 19:48:07 GMT, nico(a)puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel)
wrote:

>John Larkin <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:48:19 GMT, nico(a)puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel)
>>wrote:

>>>I did some research with Google and I'm afraid you are wrong:
>>>
>>>http://dolly.ninemsn.com.au/dollywood/gossip/976824/teen-hottie-justin-bieber-causes-stampede-at-us-mall
>>

>>One broken arm isn't very high on the tragedy scale.
>
>Wait until someone breaks your arm :-)

Smile when you say that, fella. In fact, The Brat's dog broke my
wife's finger yesterday.

Anyway, people stampedes happen
>all over the world.

But not as much in some places. People stampedes are like freeway
traffic jams, or blood clots, with weird dynamics of their own. The
reason for the traffic jam is sometimes the traffic jam.

John

From: mpm on
On Jul 24, 12:30 pm, John Larkin
<jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100724/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_love_parad...
>
> What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen
> in the US or the UK. Anybody who has been in the French Quarter at
> Mardi Gras, or Times Square on New Years Eve, will appreciate the
> potential for panic. But it doesn't happen here.
>
> There have been some really nasty ones at european sports events, or
> the Haj.
>
> John

You want weird???

How about "Head Smashed-In Buffalo Jump", a UNESCO World Heritage Site
in Alberta, Canada.
Approx coordinates: 49.749, -113.623

See: http://www.head-smashed-in.com/

Stampede, indeed!

From: Uwe Hercksen on

John Larkin schrieb:

> What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen
> in the US or the UK. Anybody who has been in the French Quarter at
> Mardi Gras, or Times Square on New Years Eve, will appreciate the
> potential for panic. But it doesn't happen here.

Hello,

such panics did happen some years ago in the UK too. To avoid
overcrowding of people, soccer arenas in the UK only have places with
seats, but not for standing visitors.
They choosed the wrong location this year, when the "love parade" was in
Berlin, nothing like now happend, because there was enough space to
leave the event when necessary.

Bye

From: Ian Bell on
John Larkin wrote:

> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100724/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_love_parade_deaths_5
>

> What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen
> in the US or the UK. Anybody who has been in the French Quarter at
> Mardi Gras, or Times Square on New Years Eve, will appreciate the
> potential for panic. But it doesn't happen here.
>
> There have been some really nasty ones at european sports events, or
> the Haj.
>
> John

Theyu do happen in the UK. There's the well know underground stairs case
during WWII and of course Hillsborough.

Cheers

Ian