From: Michael A. Terrell on

Jim Thompson wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:46:49 -0700 (PDT), Nunya
> <jack_shephard(a)cox.net> wrote:
>
> >On Jul 24, 10:30 am, Trickle Charge
> ><jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
> >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100724/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_love_parad...
> >>
> > Johnny "Trickle Charge" Larkin wrote:
> >
> >> What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen
> >> in the US or the UK. Anybody who has been in the French Quarter at
> >> Mardi Gras, or Times Square on New Years Eve, will appreciate the
> >> potential for panic. But it doesn't happen here.
> >>
> >> There have been some really nasty ones at european sports events, or
> >> the Haj.
> >>
> >> John
> >
> > You're a damned utter retard if you do not remember
> >the Who Concert at Cincinnati Riverfront Coliseum, 1979.
> >
> >http://www.crowdsafe.com/taskrpt/
> >
> > Out of eleven pairs of doors, only one pair was opened by
> >folks with mentalities just like yours. Got a new nickname
> >for ya, since you like making them up for me. Fits you well.
> >Gives you that "maybe one day he'll catch up" aura. You've
> >earned it, Trickle Charge.
> >
> > ASCII ya later, "Trickle Charge". Bahahahaha!
> >
> > Or should it be... Trickle Drain? Bwuahahahaha!
>
> Cincinnati, home of Jerry Springer. So what would you expect?

It's too bad that dimbulb (nunya) wasn't there, when it happened.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
From: Grant on
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 01:17:26 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:46:49 -0700 (PDT), Nunya
>> <jack_shephard(a)cox.net> wrote:

>> > You're a damned utter retard if you do not remember
>> >the Who Concert at Cincinnati Riverfront Coliseum, 1979.
>> >
>> >http://www.crowdsafe.com/taskrpt/
>> >
>> > Out of eleven pairs of doors, only one pair was opened by
>> >folks with mentalities just like yours. Got a new nickname
>> >for ya, since you like making them up for me. Fits you well.
>> >Gives you that "maybe one day he'll catch up" aura. You've
>> >earned it, Trickle Charge.
>> >
>> > ASCII ya later, "Trickle Charge". Bahahahaha!
>> >
>> > Or should it be... Trickle Drain? Bwuahahahaha!
>>
>> Cincinnati, home of Jerry Springer. So what would you expect?
>

> It's too bad that dimbulb (nunya) wasn't there, when it happened.

You wouldn't mean something like:

"there's a bus coming soon, be under it" ;^)

Grant.
From: Bitrex on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoanut_Grove_fire
From: Bitrex on
mpm wrote:
mpm wrote:
> On Jul 24, 12:30 pm, John Larkin
> <jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100724/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_love_parad...
>>
>> What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen
>> in the US or the UK. Anybody who has been in the French Quarter at
>> Mardi Gras, or Times Square on New Years Eve, will appreciate the
>> potential for panic. But it doesn't happen here.
>>
>> There have been some really nasty ones at european sports events, or
>> the Haj.
>>
>> John
>
> Here in America, we prefer to set people on fire!
> See link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Station_nightclub_fire
>

> On Jul 24, 12:30 pm, John Larkin
> <jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100724/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_love_parad...
>>
>> What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen
>> in the US or the UK. Anybody who has been in the French Quarter at
>> Mardi Gras, or Times Square on New Years Eve, will appreciate the
>> potential for panic. But it doesn't happen here.
>>
>> There have been some really nasty ones at european sports events, or
>> the Haj.
>>
>> John
>
> Here in America, we prefer to set people on fire!
> See link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Station_nightclub_fire

Nightclub fires of that magnitude seem to be an almost annual
occurrence in Russia.
From: Bitrex on
John Larkin wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100724/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_love_parade_deaths_5
>

> What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen
> in the US or the UK. Anybody who has been in the French Quarter at
> Mardi Gras, or Times Square on New Years Eve, will appreciate the
> potential for panic. But it doesn't happen here.
>
> There have been some really nasty ones at european sports events, or
> the Haj.
>
> John

To me it seems to be less of a cultural issue and more an issue of
inadequate planning for the size of the crowd that actually turned up,
and then trying to funnel all those people through a single constricted
area to reach the event. What was the point of that? It's a free event,
no tickets to check, so I don't understand why the organizers set up
this seemingly superfluous chokepoint.

They say the worst tragedies always happen not due to a single cause but
a cascade of failures, and the stampedes with the highest death tolls
always seem to happen when there's a combination of both panic and
chokepoints that cause the panicked crowd to pile up, like the tunnel in
the above case.

I've personally experienced situations in crowds here in the U.S. that
could have easily lead to fatalities if luck had not been on everyone's
side. There was a free concert given by Green Day in Boston back in
1994 I attended as a young man where organizers were expecting maybe
35,000 people, but in the end the turnout was officially estimated to be
65,000 and I'm sure it was significantly more than that, 100k+. The
Phoenix described it this way:

"I�ve never been to a general-admission concert at which the front row
was comfortable, but everybody nearest the stage at this show was
trapped between Storrow Drive, the Charles River, and the barricades �
more prisoners than concert-goers."

Between the crush, the riot that occurred after the band cut the show
short, and the overzealous BPD it is rather a miracle no one was killed.
It's also the reason we Bostonians aren't allowed to be exposed to
anything harder edged than The Guess Who at that location ever again.
Then again, it was probably a dumb idea to have a punk band play a free
concert at the Boston Symphony Orchestra's home venue in the first place.