From: Amy Jones on
Karl, we are in Silicon Valley. The email addresses are standard run of the
mill yahoo and gmail and hotmail types. For our offices, we are told not to
use addins and use the systems as is from Dell. I do not know what folder
you are asking. But, since we are using Outlook 2007, I assume the data file
is in pst. No, all folders are standard from Microsoft and no custom forms
are used. We also do not use exchange. Just simple Outlook 2007 in Vista
systems.

From: Karl Timmermans on
Is this occuring on every machine in your office or just a specific one?

One other thing you may wish to try - create a new profile on the machine
encountering the problem using the same PST file(s) to see if the problem
resolves itself.

If the same issue occurs on every machine, then the next step would be to
review what is common on all machines in terms of what is running (i.e.
anything in the background that is installed as part of the basic setup)
since whatever the cause is - pretty safe bet that it will be tied to
whatever is common and the first thing to review is how the machines
get prepped for initial use and how the migration to O'2007 took place
if these are not new systems.

Having dealt with a "lot" of import/export scenarios over the years, have
never encountered a case where the Outlook export didn't work just for
a specific set of fields.

If it's only one machine that is affected then the likely cause is either
#1 - An issue with the PST file itself (may or may not get resolved with
ScanPST)
#2 - Corrupt components for export wizard (which should get resolved via
Office Diag)
#3 - Something installed on the system not on the others (would doubt this
to be the case)

For what it's worth, the fact that you can select the Email Addresses while
in Outlook but can't export them is not necessarily contradictory since the
two (Outlook UI and Export Wizard) are not the same and use different
methods to deal with Outlook data (at least as best that we can surmise)

Karl
Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
ContactGenie - QuickPort/DataPort/Exporter/Toolkit/Duplicate Contact Mgr
"Contact import/export/data management tools for Outlook '2000/2010"
http://www.contactgenie.com

From: Amy Jones on
Karl, Yes, it occur in every machines in this office floor using Vista
Outlook 2007. We swap the pst files between machines and all have same exact
identical problems. We just check several brand new HP, Dell and Lenovo and
same exact identical programs. Only programs running in the background are
the anti-virus programs. Machines use different anti-virus programs, such as
MaAfee and Trend Micro and Norton, mostly depending on the machine
manufacturers.

We only use the name and email address in the Outlook 2007 address book.
Actually, most of the Outlook 2007 export fields are all empty, except all
first name, last name the first colume of the name fields are filled. The
un-used fileds anniversay and birthday are 0/0/00, Gender is unspecified,
some priority are Low and some are Nornal, and a few field in Private is
False.

From: Amy Jones on
Karl, we now found another problem. The Outlook 2007 address book does not
match the exported list.

We edited the Outlook 2007 address book, by click Tools - Address Book. The
panel shows "Address Book: Contacts". We add new entry by clicking File -
New Entry, and select New Contact, then, we entered Full Name and Email
addresses, then Save & Close. To edit previous entered entries, we click the
In the selected entry.

When we export, at Outlook2007, we click File - import and export - export
to a file - Comma Separated Values (Windows) - select Contacts folder -
enter saved export files as: address-book1.csv - Map Custom fields - default
map (select all fields) - finished.

But when we looked at the exported file, the enteries are redundent and have
many previously deleted entries.

So, what did we do wrong?

From: Karl Timmermans on
At this point - would suggest going back to basics with the following:

#1 - Take any one of the machines (since this problem occurs on all as per
your note)
#2 - Close Outlook
#3 - Using the Mail applet (Ctrl Panel, User Accounts, Mail) - create a
completely new Outlook profile using a new PST file (translated - don't
change anything in the process) and make sure this new profile is the one
assigned to "Always Use this profile"
#4 - Restart Outlook using the new profile
#5 - Create a single new contact with name and a valid SMTP address - value
irrelevant as long as it's properly constructed and resolved
#6 - Export that contact folder (with the single contact item) - either by
mapping only the desired fields or selecting all.

Am betting that the above will work. If correct, the issue is how your
systems are getting configured since am also assuming that every new
machine does not represent a new employee starting from scratch - ergo -
somewhere data is being migrated from old to new. If it works, then it's
definitely not an operational Outlook issue and would proceed with the
following:

#7 - Close Outlook, change the default PST mailbox in this newly created
Outlook profile to use your original PST file
#8 - Export the contact folder
......does the export work? If yes, repeat and rinse the process on every
machine that has encountered the problem and review the issue with
whomever is configuring your systems for initial use with pre-existing
Outlook data.

One red flag that you mentioned in your other post is that the unused
Birthday and Anniversary fields appear as 0/0/00. Reality is that if those
fields aren't used when a new contact is created - the value should show as
"none" - not "0/0/00" which also begs the question - how were these
contacts originally created?

If for any reason step <#6> doesn't work, feel free to send that newly
created PST file (with the single test contact) to
cgsupport at contactgenie.com.
(if you do send the PST file - just mention in the body that this was
requested by me via the newsgroup). Would like to see if the issue
can be replicated as well as do some forensics on it in a controlled
environment. Am betting that the issue won't be reproduced.

Also as aside - the terms "contact folder" and "address book" represent two
very distinct items and just to keep things clear for all concerned, would
suggest not using the term "AddressBook" or if you are actually doing
things from the AB for any of this - you shouldn't. Only the contact folder
should be used.

In short - the objective of this exercise is to narrow the possibilities of
what is going on with your systems.