From: Karl Timmermans on
Is there a reason for the aversion to simply opening a contact folder and
selecting contacts from within the folder? The simplest, easiest and also
the correct way to deal with contact information. Select "Contacts" under
the Folder list - shows you all your contact folders, select the folder you
want to work with and proceed accordingly to add/change/delete information.
You do not edit or import information via the AddressBook in the normal
course of events. Seems however, everyone is completely fixated on using
the "AddressBook". To repeat one last time - AB's do not "contain any
information" - contact folders do - AB's "represent" information contained
in contact folders that are assigned to it.

As for your summary
A1 - Add new entry (how is this different from "saving"?) - how is this
different from B3 "cannot add new entry"? - there is only one way to add a
new contact and that is via the contact window - enter the info and click
Save.
*** re:adding/editing contacts - see opening paragraph to this post

A2 - Asked this question already - what does "save, retrieve, transfer"
mean exactly? (how is retrieve different from "edit each entry" - you can't
edit something unless it's retrieved)
*** re: adding/editing contacts - see opening paragraph to this post

B1 - you mean you are clicking on it and the normal contact windows opens
up - letting you edit the info and then saving the changes?
*** see opening paragraph to this post

B2 - export/import this folder - how is this folder different from any
other? - just the default contact folder that appears - but this has
nothing to do with the folder selection during the export process

B3 - adding new entry - so what exactly happens when you click on the "NEW"
button after you select Go Contacts which displays the default contact
folder in the default view for the folder?

B4 - there more entries here compared to OAB - see previous post(s) about
what an OAB is and what should be checked.

As for not changing settings, not being able to import/export,
discrepencies with OAB etc - have provided the instructions and what to
try/do along with a variety of questions- absolutely none of which have
been responded to. The same thing is repeated over and over again in
reference to the OAB to the exclusion of all else. If the decision is to
not confirm the most basic of elements and continue to do things that
do/are not working for you - very little that anyone can do to assist.
Following the instructions provided does not constitute "changing settings
in the office" and doing the same thing over and over again is not going to
provide different results. Nothing is going to change.

In any case - wish you all the best.

Karl

Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
ContactGenie - QuickPort/DataPort/Exporter/Toolkit/Duplicate Contact Mgr
"Contact import/export/data management tools for Outlook '2000/2010"
http://www.contactgenie.com

From: Amy Jones on
Thank you Karl. OK understood.
May be we should learn to use Go-Contacts (Ctrl+3) from now on.
We cannot add new or rename contact item to this contact folder.
Yes, we can delete item and change name and email in item.

From: Karl Timmermans on
Amy, you keep restating the same things over and over again but do not
answer any of the questions posed or acknowledge even trying anything
suggested.

Have no idea what you mean by "rename this item" nor have you addressed
what is meant by "save, retrieve, transfer" (or anything else that has been
asked).

Without explicitly stating the exact steps you are following and what
exactly it is that you are looking at, nothing new that can be added to all
of this that hasn't already been mentioned in previous posts.

Am curious about the following,
#1 - Do you have the Navigation Pane showing in Outlook? (From menu -
View --> Navigation Pane --> Normal) so you can select a contact folder
directly?
#2 - Do you have the "Standard Toolbar" showing that contains the NEW
button? (from menu - View --> Toolbars --> Standard) - which is how you
would add/save a new contact in a contact folder
#3 - How long has your office been using Outlook?

Have the sinking feeling that this whole thing revolves completely around
the first 2 questions.

From: Amy Jones on
Karl, our boss did not permit us to make changes to the outlook settings to
do the tests you suggested. No there is no navigation pane. Everyone in this
office must use Outlook the same way. We have been using different version
of Outlook Express then Outlook for close to 10 years. No we do not use the
toolbars.

From: Karl Timmermans on
You have seriously got to be kidding (but unfortunately I know that you're
not, nobody would make that up - so painfully sad). This certainly explains
the communicaton disconnect. Will refrain from commenting on your boss's
overwhelming intellectual prowess given that this is a family oriented
platform.

After <Go Contacts> - from menu bar --> File --> New Contact -to add/save
contact.

As for anything else, don't know what you are trying to do so can't offer
any suggestions. In addition, am personally not a "minimalist" and have no
burning desire to figure out needless alternative methods to everything -
life is far too short so will leave that to others.

In short - given everything so far, your problems are not that:
1) Outlook doesn't work
2) Outlook is designed to be "un-friendly"
3) You can't do what you need to do in Outlook

Your problem is your "boss" who sounds like a person who believes that
everyone should remove the steering wheel in their vehicle so the driver
can have more room. Similarly, if there is a problem with a vehicle, the
way to getting something fixed is not by telling the mechanic that
absolutely nothing can be touched, tested, or changed.

If limitations are to be imposed on what can and can't be used in Outlook,
it might be a plan for everyone to be provided with the answers on how to
get things done (which seems to be missing from this particular
repertoire). There is a great deal of merit to maintaining operational
consistency within an environment but the secret to that is that the
"right" operational procedures need to be in place and everyone having
access to them.