From: tony cooper on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:37:43 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>In my case I was just trying to think of what might work for this mandate.
>
>Since you are on a BW kick I thought you might find this from the same
>shoot interesting.
>http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_1145b-w.jpg

I like your treatment of converting to black and white. Nice
contrast, nice blacks, and - evidently - a nice sharp take to start
with. I think you are getting a bit too artsy with the borders. This
kind of photo should stand on its own. The border's a bit distracting
to me, but it does show off the blacks.

I do like a minimal border, though, when posting an image. In pBase,
the white border establishes the image on pBase's black background.
For links, the black border does the same since links show up on
white. That 5 px (?) inner border would do it.

Some will think that the closed eyes detract, but I don't. That
heavy-lidded look fits the character.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-01-18 20:14:33 -0800, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:37:43 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> In my case I was just trying to think of what might work for this mandate.
>>
>> Since you are on a BW kick I thought you might find this from the same
>> shoot interesting.
>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_1145b-w.jpg
>
> I like your treatment of converting to black and white. Nice
> contrast, nice blacks, and - evidently - a nice sharp take to start
> with. I think you are getting a bit too artsy with the borders. This
> kind of photo should stand on its own. The border's a bit distracting
> to me, but it does show off the blacks.
>
> I do like a minimal border, though, when posting an image. In pBase,
> the white border establishes the image on pBase's black background.
> For links, the black border does the same since links show up on
> white. That 5 px (?) inner border would do it.
>
> Some will think that the closed eyes detract, but I don't. That
> heavy-lidded look fits the character.

Yup. I actually think it is a better image than the one I submitted for
SI, but I cropped some and with the crop it wouldn't meet the mandate.

I did the B&W comversion with CS4 B&W adjustment layer with the high
contrast red preset.

OK. It is time to rethink the border thing.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Douglas Johnson on
tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>"Waiting for Amtrak" was taken inside the Orlando train station. I've
>been doing mostly "street" or "urban" photography lately and
>concentrating on people. This type of photograph seems to work better
>in black and white. I didn't like the NBC sports logo, but it didn't
>seem honest to clone it out.

I like this one a lot. Black and white really works for it.
-- Doug
From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:43:23 -0500, Bowser wrote:

> OK, I rushed them, and didn't include any comments, but I'll get to that
> later on. For now, take a look at the shots submitted by those shooters
> who actually take pictures and participate:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/468_degrees
>
> Let the flames fly!

The best shot of the bunch, 46.8-Cooper-APCH.jpg, is shot at 72mm in 35mm
equivalent. It's real focal length is 48mm, but that's without the crop
factor.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 17:29:23 +0100, Robert Spanjaard
<spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:43:23 -0500, Bowser wrote:
>
>> OK, I rushed them, and didn't include any comments, but I'll get to that
>> later on. For now, take a look at the shots submitted by those shooters
>> who actually take pictures and participate:
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/468_degrees
>>
>> Let the flames fly!
>
>The best shot of the bunch, 46.8-Cooper-APCH.jpg, is shot at 72mm in 35mm
>equivalent. It's real focal length is 48mm, but that's without the crop
>factor.

That's a flame that I can handle with equanimity. I assume that if
the shot will be disqualified for not meeting the rules requirement,
that I won't be receiving the large cash prize for "best shot of the
bunch". Damn.

No matter. A generous Nigerian bank manager has informed me that an
even larger cash amount is available to me because he needs a
dependable person to take over the assets of a deceased intestate
client of his. Evidently, I have been recommended to him as a person
of good character.

I would like to thank whoever it was that recommended me.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida