From: Peter Chant on
tony cooper wrote:

> "Cow Barn" is a subject that I shot last summer, but processed in
> color. I went back yesterday and re-shot it for the mandate. I'm on
> a black & white kick, so I went for that in this shot and deliberately
> over-sharpened for effect. No filters (in camera or in software) were
> used...just the Unsharp Mask set to 240 and a lot of Contrast.

OK, I'm being picky, and this is usenet, the home of picky ( :-) ), surely
unsharp mask is a filter? Or is it an effect?

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 18:34:42 +0000, Peter Chant
<peteRE(a)MpeteOzilla.Vco.ukE> wrote:

>tony cooper wrote:
>
>> "Cow Barn" is a subject that I shot last summer, but processed in
>> color. I went back yesterday and re-shot it for the mandate. I'm on
>> a black & white kick, so I went for that in this shot and deliberately
>> over-sharpened for effect. No filters (in camera or in software) were
>> used...just the Unsharp Mask set to 240 and a lot of Contrast.
>
>OK, I'm being picky, and this is usenet, the home of picky ( :-) ), surely
>unsharp mask is a filter? Or is it an effect?

Good question. In fact, I had an idea that some people refer to it as
the "Unsharp Filter", so I checked. The Photoshop CS4 drop-down calls
it a mask, but it is in the drop-down for filters. Adobe Press calls
it the "Unsharp Mask Filter".

Because there is some ambiguity, I deliberately added that I'd used
the Unsharp tool in case anyone was thinking the way you do. I wanted
to make the point that I did not use the filters in the Filter
Gallery.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Bruce on
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 18:34:42 +0000, Peter Chant
<peteRE(a)MpeteOzilla.Vco.ukE> wrote:
>tony cooper wrote:
>> "Cow Barn" is a subject that I shot last summer, but processed in
>> color. I went back yesterday and re-shot it for the mandate. I'm on
>> a black & white kick, so I went for that in this shot and deliberately
>> over-sharpened for effect. No filters (in camera or in software) were
>> used...just the Unsharp Mask set to 240 and a lot of Contrast.
>
>OK, I'm being picky, and this is usenet, the home of picky ( :-) ), surely
>unsharp mask is a filter? Or is it an effect?

Have you ever thought of buying a book on photography?

From: Peter on
"Bowser" <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote in message
> OK, I rushed them, and didn't include any comments, but I'll get to
> that later on. For now, take a look at the shots submitted by those
> shooters who actually take pictures and participate:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/468_degrees
>
> Let the flames fly!

How do I submit. I have one or two that should qualify

--
Peter

From: Bowser on
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:27:40 -0500, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"Bowser" <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote in message
>> OK, I rushed them, and didn't include any comments, but I'll get to
>> that later on. For now, take a look at the shots submitted by those
>> shooters who actually take pictures and participate:
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/468_degrees
>>
>> Let the flames fly!
>

>How do I submit. I have one or two that should qualify

Mail the entries to me at si dot moderator at yahoo dot com