From: Savageduck on
On 2010-01-20 05:39:25 -0800, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:

> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> On 2010-01-19 20:57:26 -0800, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:
>>

>> I think you have put your finger on my problem for this shoot. ( I much
>> prefer the cropped B&W effort) That, and I have been trying to build up
>> some enthusiasm after loosing the D300. Anyway the old D70 did just
>> fine, and the good news is FedEx delivered a box of Nikon goodies this
>> morning. The new D300s is raring to go.
>> I need to plan a trip!
>

> Are you going to South Africa again? <g>

Not anytime in 2010! !
The vultures are gathering for World Cup 2010. Air fares between Europe
and South Africa have been bumped, and domestic air fares in South
Africa are going to be up around 250%, some have already been
announced. For example a round trip between Cape Town & Johannesburg at
the height of the tournament, have been announced at levels higher than
a round trip between SA and London! British Air, Air France, Lufthansa
& South african Airways have all announced fare increases for the 90
days on either side of the actual World cup tournament.
There is going to be much robbery which has nothing to do with the type
of criminals who took my D300.

What I have been thinking of is a road trip up the North Fork of the
Feather River, following the old Union Pacific route. Then down the
Eastern Sierras to Death Valley, (maybe extend over to Zion NP.)
That I think will give me some different photo ops.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Peter on
> On 2010-01-20 05:39:25 -0800, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>> On 2010-01-19 20:57:26 -0800, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net>
>>> said:
>>>

>>> I think you have put your finger on my problem for this shoot. ( I much
>>> prefer the cropped B&W effort) That, and I have been trying to build up
>>> some enthusiasm after loosing the D300. Anyway the old D70 did just
>>> fine, and the good news is FedEx delivered a box of Nikon goodies this
>>> morning. The new D300s is raring to go.
>>> I need to plan a trip!
>>

>> Are you going to South Africa again? <g>
>
> Not anytime in 2010! !
> The vultures are gathering for World Cup 2010. Air fares between Europe
> and South Africa have been bumped, and domestic air fares in South Africa
> are going to be up around 250%, some have already been announced. For
> example a round trip between Cape Town & Johannesburg at the height of the
> tournament, have been announced at levels higher than a round trip between
> SA and London! British Air, Air France, Lufthansa & South african Airways
> have all announced fare increases for the 90 days on either side of the
> actual World cup tournament.
> There is going to be much robbery which has nothing to do with the type of
> criminals who took my D300.
>
> What I have been thinking of is a road trip up the North Fork of the
> Feather River, following the old Union Pacific route. Then down the
> Eastern Sierras to Death Valley, (maybe extend over to Zion NP.)
> That I think will give me some different photo ops.

Sounds like a plan. With the exception of three trips to the Grand Canyon I
have never been to the Western National Parks, but have always wanted to go.
Some of my friends are going in September, but I cannot go when they plan
the trip and I don't think it's a good idea to go alone. My wife is not a
photographer and her idea of a vacation is to sleep until noon and then go
shopping. Almost 50 years of experience tells me that if I took her on such
a drive we would have long discussions every day about what time we start.
(That rock has been there for millions of years, won't it still be there
after a late lunch?) A regular tour is out as far as a percentage of photo
oops is concerned. (I learned that in Alaska last year.) Since my BW wants
to go to the Panama Canal next January, that is where we will probably go.
Possibly this Summer we will drive up the ME coast again. That works because
we stay in one or two places and I am usually out before sunrise and back by
breakfast time.

--
Peter

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-01-20 07:56:20 -0800, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:

> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> On 2010-01-20 05:39:25 -0800, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>>
>>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> Are you going to South Africa again? <g>
>>
>> Not anytime in 2010! !
>> The vultures are gathering for World Cup 2010. Air fares between Europe
>> and South Africa have been bumped, and domestic air fares in South
>> Africa are going to be up around 250%, some have already been
>> announced. For example a round trip between Cape Town & Johannesburg at
>> the height of the tournament, have been announced at levels higher than
>> a round trip between SA and London! British Air, Air France, Lufthansa
>> & South african Airways have all announced fare increases for the 90
>> days on either side of the actual World cup tournament.
>> There is going to be much robbery which has nothing to do with the type
>> of criminals who took my D300.
>>
>> What I have been thinking of is a road trip up the North Fork of the
>> Feather River, following the old Union Pacific route. Then down the
>> Eastern Sierras to Death Valley, (maybe extend over to Zion NP.)
>> That I think will give me some different photo ops.
>>

> Sounds like a plan. With the exception of three trips to the Grand
> Canyon I have never been to the Western National Parks, but have always
> wanted to go. Some of my friends are going in September, but I cannot
> go when they plan the trip and I don't think it's a good idea to go
> alone. My wife is not a photographer and her idea of a vacation is to
> sleep until noon and then go shopping.

You need to make the effort, Yosemite NP, Kings Canyon-Sequoia NP, Zion
NP are worth the trip and should not be missed. Each of those is so
much more than The Grand Canyon. Though the shopping isn't all that
good.

> Almost 50 years of experience tells me that if I took her on such a
> drive we would have long discussions every day about what time we
> start. (That rock has been there for millions of years, won't it still
> be there after a late lunch?) A regular tour is out as far as a
> percentage of photo oops is concerned. (I learned that in Alaska last
> year.)

I found in Alaska, if you become part of the "cruise boat" routine all
you will be dragged to, are the typical tourist traps and staged
events. There are better ways to experience Alaska than enduring the
usual tourist junk stores & tours.
Some of the lodges are wonderful. Glacier helicopter trips can be
amazing, just don't go there expecting to do the same mall shopping you
would do anywhere else.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Ferebee_CV-b.jpg

> Since my BW wants to go to the Panama Canal next January, that is where
> we will probably go. Possibly this Summer we will drive up the ME coast
> again. That works because we stay in one or two places and I am usually
> out before sunrise and back by breakfast time.

....and all of that should be great. I am fortunate that I have easy
access to the Pacific coast with Hwy 1 through Big Sur, or up through
the Mendicino coast to Oregon.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Peter on
> On 2010-01-20 07:56:20 -0800, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>> On 2010-01-20 05:39:25 -0800, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net>
>>> said:
>>>

> You need to make the effort, Yosemite NP, Kings Canyon-Sequoia NP, Zion NP
> are worth the trip and should not be missed. Each of those is so much more
> than The Grand Canyon. Though the shopping isn't all that good.

>> Almost 50 years of experience tells me that if I took her on such a drive
>> we would have long discussions every day about what time we start. (That
>> rock has been there for millions of years, won't it still be there after
>> a late lunch?) A regular tour is out as far as a percentage of photo oops
>> is concerned. (I learned that in Alaska last year.)
>
> I found in Alaska, if you become part of the "cruise boat" routine all you
> will be dragged to, are the typical tourist traps and staged events. There
> are better ways to experience Alaska than enduring the usual tourist junk
> stores & tours.
> Some of the lodges are wonderful. Glacier helicopter trips can be amazing,
> just don't go there expecting to do the same mall shopping you would do
> anywhere else.
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Ferebee_CV-b.jpg

Don't get me wrong. The trip was great and I only went to one tourist store.
It's just that these trips are not designed as photo workshops, where you go
at the best light and will wait hours for the wildlife to appear at just the
right moment. There is a major difference when you are going on a photo
shoot, as opposed to see whatever.

>> Since my BW wants to go to the Panama Canal next January, that is where
>> we will probably go. Possibly this Summer we will drive up the ME coast
>> again. That works because we stay in one or two places and I am usually
>> out before sunrise and back by breakfast time.
>
> ...and all of that should be great. I am fortunate that I have easy access
> to the Pacific coast with Hwy 1 through Big Sur, or up through the
> Mendicino coast to Oregon.

We drove from SF to San Diego on the Pacific Coast Highway. Had a terrific
time even though we had to make some detours due to mud slides, earthquakes
and washouts. Those last just made it part of the adventure.

--
Peter

From: Bowser on

"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
> "Bowser" <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:27:40 -0500, "Peter"
>> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>>"Bowser" <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote in message

>>>How do I submit. I have one or two that should qualify
>>
>> Mail the entries to me at si dot moderator at yahoo dot com
>

> done

I'll post them tonight... (Wednesday)