From: J. J. Lodder on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> J. J. Lodder <nospam(a)de-ster.demon.nl> wrote:
>
> > ray <datasmog(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Microsoft has posted a Mac vs PC section to it's Win7 website.
> > > <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/pc-vs-mac.aspx>
> > > There are some pretty lame reasons for choosing a PC but this jumped out
> > > at me on the Simplicity page.
> > >
> > > "Things just don't work the same way on Macs if you're used to a PC. For
> > > example, the mouse works differently."
> >
> > Sure, the Microsoft made mouse sucks,
>
> Actually, I've been rather impressed with the purely optical mice with
> MS branding that I've met.
>
> I assume that they're all actually *MADE* by Foxcomm or some other less
> well known Chinese manufacturing plant.

Had one (wireless) and it was a disaster.
Can't remember what I did with it.

> (who thinks that the best Mac mice were the old mechanical ones - not
> sure, but I suspect that I prefer the ADB 1 mouse of all mice. What
> with the size and shape of my hands and arms and so on, I like the
> original Mac mice too. They have the advantage of hardly ever getting
> clogged up - I've used one of mine on carpet for extended periods and
> it's not only tracked okay (that's `okay' rather than `well'[1]) but not
> got clogged in the process.)
>
> [1] I had a lot of Macs in the one room all networked for a fiddle -
> the floor was the convenient place to stick the 512Ke or Plus or
> whichever it was, and /then/ I thought about mousing, and /then/ I found
> that I didn't have to bother moving the mouse mat around. `Coo',
> thought I, `I wonder how long I can get away with this before it gets
> clogged up or somesuch?' so I carried on to find out and it just didn't
> get clogged so I tried some more and some more and it just carried on
> working fine. Never had to clean out either (or any?) of my pre-ADB Mac
> mice.
>
> Bloody marvellous design if you ask me, bloody marvellous.

For me nothing beats the old model Kensington trackballs
with the BIG ball and big steel rollers.
Later Kensingtons are inferior to that,
with tiny ball bearings that tend to clog up.

Unfortunately they are no longer made,
and tend to fail in the long run.

Jan
From: Richard Kettlewell on
nospam(a)de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder) writes:

> For me nothing beats the old model Kensington trackballs
> with the BIG ball and big steel rollers.
> Later Kensingtons are inferior to that,
> with tiny ball bearings that tend to clog up.
>
> Unfortunately they are no longer made,
> and tend to fail in the long run.

I'm a fan of these:

http://us.kensington.com/html/2200.html

Still don't understand why they're called a 'mouse' though.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
From: J. J. Lodder on
Richard Kettlewell <rjk(a)greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> nospam(a)de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder) writes:
>
> > For me nothing beats the old model Kensington trackballs
> > with the BIG ball and big steel rollers.
> > Later Kensingtons are inferior to that,
> > with tiny ball bearings that tend to clog up.
> >
> > Unfortunately they are no longer made,
> > and tend to fail in the long run.
>
> I'm a fan of these:
>
> http://us.kensington.com/html/2200.html
>
> Still don't understand why they're called a 'mouse' though.

Yes, that's the newer model.
I prefer the older one with the six rapid fire buttons.
(even though I rarely use them)

Jan
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Richard Kettlewell <rjk(a)greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> nospam(a)de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder) writes:
>
> > For me nothing beats the old model Kensington trackballs
> > with the BIG ball and big steel rollers.
> > Later Kensingtons are inferior to that,
> > with tiny ball bearings that tend to clog up.
> >
> > Unfortunately they are no longer made,
> > and tend to fail in the long run.
>
> I'm a fan of these:
>
> http://us.kensington.com/html/2200.html
>
> Still don't understand why they're called a 'mouse' though.

Marketing - call it a mouse, then everyone knows what it's used for,
*AND* so that the sort of person who's put off by anything novel or
`unusual' or `non-standard' will be happy buying one.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Rowland McDonnell on
J. J. Lodder <nospam(a)de-ster.demon.nl> wrote:

> Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
>
> > J. J. Lodder <nospam(a)de-ster.demon.nl> wrote:

> > > Sure, the Microsoft made mouse sucks,
> >
> > Actually, I've been rather impressed with the purely optical mice with
> > MS branding that I've met.
> >
> > I assume that they're all actually *MADE* by Foxcomm or some other less
> > well known Chinese manufacturing plant.
>
> Had one (wireless) and it was a disaster.
> Can't remember what I did with it.

The last MS mouse I used was firmly wired in - wireless mice weren't
generally available at the time (some might say `didn't exist', but I
bet they did, somewhere...)

> > (who thinks that the best Mac mice were the old mechanical ones - not
> > sure, but I suspect that I prefer the ADB 1 mouse of all mice. What
> > with the size and shape of my hands and arms and so on, I like the
> > original Mac mice too. They have the advantage of hardly ever getting
> > clogged up - I've used one of mine on carpet for extended periods and
> > it's not only tracked okay (that's `okay' rather than `well'[1]) but not
> > got clogged in the process.)
> >
> > [1] I had a lot of Macs in the one room all networked for a fiddle -
> > the floor was the convenient place to stick the 512Ke or Plus or
> > whichever it was, and /then/ I thought about mousing, and /then/ I found
> > that I didn't have to bother moving the mouse mat around. `Coo',
> > thought I, `I wonder how long I can get away with this before it gets
> > clogged up or somesuch?' so I carried on to find out and it just didn't
> > get clogged so I tried some more and some more and it just carried on
> > working fine. Never had to clean out either (or any?) of my pre-ADB Mac
> > mice.
> >
> > Bloody marvellous design if you ask me, bloody marvellous.
>
> For me nothing beats the old model Kensington trackballs
> with the BIG ball and big steel rollers.
> Later Kensingtons are inferior to that,
> with tiny ball bearings that tend to clog up.
>
> Unfortunately they are no longer made,
> and tend to fail in the long run.

Righto.

The only use for a trackball that I approve of is playing Missile
Command. Can't stand 'em for driving any sort of PC.

Rowland.