From: Conor on
On 10/08/2010 09:24, Rowland McDonnell wrote:
> J. J. Lodder<nospam(a)de-ster.demon.nl> wrote:
>
>> ray<datasmog(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Microsoft has posted a Mac vs PC section to it's Win7 website.
>>> <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/pc-vs-mac.aspx>
>>> There are some pretty lame reasons for choosing a PC but this jumped out
>>> at me on the Simplicity page.
>>>
>>> "Things just don't work the same way on Macs if you're used to a PC. For
>>> example, the mouse works differently."
>>
>> Sure, the Microsoft made mouse sucks,
>
> Actually, I've been rather impressed with the purely optical mice with
> MS branding that I've met.

The oldest MS Optical mouse I have here is 7 or 8 years old. The pads
are well and truly worn away.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk
From: Ian Piper on
On 2010-08-10 09:32:14 +0100, Tim Streater <timstreater(a)waitrose.com> said:

> In article <m13266dnl8fbshvkikjqm13e329o77e0p6(a)4ax.com>,
> Geoff Berrow <blthecat(a)ckdog.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:00:02 +0100, datasmog(a)hotmail.com (ray) wrote:
>>
>> >"Things just don't work the same way on Macs if you're used to a PC. For
>> >example, the mouse works differently."
>>

>> No right click on a Mac mouse is there?
>
> What gives you that idea?

You bit the bait, Tim :-)

Ian.
--
Ian Piper
Author of "Learn Xcode Tools for Mac OS X and iPhone Development",

From: J. J. Lodder on
Duncan Kennedy <nospam(a)nospamottersonbg.couk> wrote:

> J. J. Lodder <nospam(a)de-ster.demon.nl> wrote:
>
> > Richard Kettlewell <rjk(a)greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> > > I'm a fan of these:
> > >
> > > http://us.kensington.com/html/2200.html
> > >
> > > Still don't understand why they're called a 'mouse' though.
> >
> > Yes, that's the newer model.
> > I prefer the older one with the six rapid fire buttons.
> > (even though I rarely use them)
> >
> I'm using one of these right now on my Mac Mini - not bad at all and the
> ring round the big ball has some advantages over a standard wheel.
>
> My older ones -4 and 2 buttons with ball bearings fell a bit "grinding"
> now but the haven't been used in anger for years as they are both serial
> connections.

I talked about the blue-grey that came after those,
big ball, steel rollers, USB connection,

Jan
From: Pd on
ray <datasmog(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> > And *I* don't understand why bloody Yanks have to say this kind of
> > thing:
> >
> > "The best trackball ever made has just gotten better."
> >
> > Why oh why do they use the illiterate `gotten' instead of the shorter
> > and better educated `got'...

Better educated? My understanding is that 'gotten' was the form used by
the educated a couple of hundred years ago, about when American English
and British English forked. So your 'got' is ill-educated to them.

> Yes they have an annoying habit of saying 'off of' to. But then so do a
> lot of English types.
> And don't get me started on the use of ton or tons when refering to any
> large quantity.
> Yank bloggers are particularly fond of that one.

I'm a great fan of the metric fucktonne.

--
Pd
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Conor <conor(a)gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> Rowland McDonnell wrote:
> > J. J. Lodder<nospam(a)de-ster.demon.nl> wrote:

> >> Sure, the Microsoft made mouse sucks,
> >
> > Actually, I've been rather impressed with the purely optical mice with
> > MS branding that I've met.
> >
> The oldest MS Optical mouse I have here is 7 or 8 years old. The pads
> are well and truly worn away.

I've had slidy-pads drop off Apple mice inside a year. <shrug> They've
carried on working just as well without - no trouble sliding.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me