From: Rowland McDonnell on
Richard Kettlewell <rjk(a)greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> nospam(a)de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder) writes:
>
> > For me nothing beats the old model Kensington trackballs
> > with the BIG ball and big steel rollers.
> > Later Kensingtons are inferior to that,
> > with tiny ball bearings that tend to clog up.
> >
> > Unfortunately they are no longer made,
> > and tend to fail in the long run.
>
> I'm a fan of these:
>
> http://us.kensington.com/html/2200.html
>
> Still don't understand why they're called a 'mouse' though.

And *I* don't understand why bloody Yanks have to say this kind of
thing:

"The best trackball ever made has just gotten better."

Why oh why do they use the illiterate `gotten' instead of the shorter
and better educated `got'...

Rowland.
(who has Opinions on English usage)

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Rowland McDonnell on
David Kennedy <davidkennedy(a)nospamherethankyou.invalid> wrote:

> ray wrote:
> > Microsoft has posted a Mac vs PC section to it's Win7 website.
> > <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/pc-vs-mac.aspx>
> > There are some pretty lame reasons for choosing a PC but this jumped out
> > at me on the Simplicity page.
> >
> > "Things just don't work the same way on Macs if you're used to a PC. For
> > example, the mouse works differently."
> >
> > Eh?
>
> Does anyone really care? Isn't this just another attempt to perpetuate
> the us and them myth? Let them have their Windoze if that makes them
> happy; why should we care?

Hmm - it's an interesting approach that MS is using if you ask me.

What positive reasons is MS presenting? Very few of any real
significant.

There never seems to be much in the way of positive benefits to sticking
with MS that they can talk about, does there?

And given this state of affairs:

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/05/microsofts_lost_generation/>

it's hard to see how just pushing the same Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt
line which is what keeps business folk `on message' is going to help MS
get new users.

So it's interesting from a psychological point of view, and from the
long-term view regarding MS's position in the world. FUD is all MS can
think of to keep customers, and has almost nothing worth mentioning for
new users considering which PC platform would be most suitable for them.

I predict that 10-20 years from now, MS will be `just another player' in
the PC marketplace, rather than the big beast it still is.

(10-20 years, because long-range predictions are always iffy. Too much
can happen - wars and meteorite strikes and I don't know what. But I'm
inclined to think it'll be sooner rather than later - the free Unix
projects are bound to come up with something that's *good* for desktop
PC use by normal users soon, aren't they? ... Or maybe this whole Web
app approach that Google's doing will do the trick. Who knows?)

> It's now coming up to ten years since I [had to] use a M$ monstrosity
> and I can truthfully say that it has been quite OK.

I stopped using Windoze in 1995 and never did use Win95 to speak of.

My mother in law uses her Vista laptop with *exactly* the same degree of
cluelessness with which *I* use it. And that's worrying - she uses the
thing all the time, while I have to guess at what to do because none of
it makes any sense.

Thing is, that's how *she* approaches it.

If she gets another PC any time, I think we'll get her learned on a Mac
here and see if we can talk her into joining the Nice PC Club here in
Apple-land...

Rowland.

From: ray on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> Richard Kettlewell <rjk(a)greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > nospam(a)de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder) writes:
> >
> > > For me nothing beats the old model Kensington trackballs
> > > with the BIG ball and big steel rollers.
> > > Later Kensingtons are inferior to that,
> > > with tiny ball bearings that tend to clog up.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately they are no longer made,
> > > and tend to fail in the long run.
> >
> > I'm a fan of these:
> >
> > http://us.kensington.com/html/2200.html
> >
> > Still don't understand why they're called a 'mouse' though.
>
> And *I* don't understand why bloody Yanks have to say this kind of
> thing:
>
> "The best trackball ever made has just gotten better."
>
> Why oh why do they use the illiterate `gotten' instead of the shorter
> and better educated `got'...
>
> Rowland.
> (who has Opinions on English usage)

Yes they have an annoying habit of saying 'off of' to. But then so do a
lot of English types.
And don't get me started on the use of ton or tons when refering to any
large quantity.
Yank bloggers are particularly fond of that one.
--
http://www.dream-weaver.com/email.php
Web development promotion and seo
From: Duncan Kennedy on
J. J. Lodder <nospam(a)de-ster.demon.nl> wrote:

> Richard Kettlewell <rjk(a)greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > nospam(a)de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder) writes:
> >
> > > For me nothing beats the old model Kensington trackballs
> > > with the BIG ball and big steel rollers.
> > > Later Kensingtons are inferior to that,
> > > with tiny ball bearings that tend to clog up.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately they are no longer made,
> > > and tend to fail in the long run.
> >
> > I'm a fan of these:
> >
> > http://us.kensington.com/html/2200.html
> >
> > Still don't understand why they're called a 'mouse' though.
>
> Yes, that's the newer model.
> I prefer the older one with the six rapid fire buttons.
> (even though I rarely use them)

I'm using one of these right now on my Mac Mini - not bad at all and the
ring round the big ball has some advantages over a standard wheel.

My older ones -4 and 2 buttons with ball bearings fell a bit "grinding"
now but the haven't been used in anger for years as they are both serial
connections.

For the two Win machines alongside, I have Microsoft Trackball Explorers
- big balls angled to the right so they are used with the fingers while
the buttons and wheel are set up for my thumb. I find them very
comfortable with good control but hard to find - out of production?

--
duncank
From: David Paste on
On 10 Aug, 09:18, real-address-in-...(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid (Rowland
McDonnell) wrote:

> `You mustn't change to a Mac because Macs are different to Windoze and
> Windoze is what you know so you've got to carry on using what you know
> and learn nothing new, because new is bad and new is scary

You forgot this bit:

"...unless it's a new OS, then you should whole-heartedly embrace it
as early as possible and tell us what's wrong!"