From: J. J. Lodder on
Peter Ceresole <peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Duncan Kennedy <nospam(a)nospamottersonbg.couk> wrote:
>
> > That's right - the beauty was (is, because I still have both of mine)
> > they have detachable cables with a plug at both ends - although that may
> > be why the solder joint on the socket / board junction failed on both
> > and had to be resoldered.
>
> No; the nicest thing was that they had inertial scrolling. My Logitech
> MX500 has it now- nicely implemented in software, a flick of the finger
> and you scroll through lists and views, but this was the real thing,
> from the proper engineering, the bearings, and the massive ball. I guess
> it would have made a great murder weapon.

The early Kensingtons had it both in software and in hardware.
It wasn't that useful, with the screenn sizes then available.

Jan
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Peter Ceresole <peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Duncan Kennedy <nospam(a)nospamottersonbg.couk> wrote:
>
> > That's right - the beauty was (is, because I still have both of mine)
> > they have detachable cables with a plug at both ends - although that may
> > be why the solder joint on the socket / board junction failed on both
> > and had to be resoldered.
>
> No; the nicest thing was that they had inertial scrolling. My Logitech
> MX500 has it now- nicely implemented in software, a flick of the finger
> and you scroll through lists and views, but this was the real thing,
> from the proper engineering, the bearings, and the massive ball. I guess
> it would have made a great murder weapon.

A Bic biro makes a great murder weapon as it happens.

Rowland.
(who once used to live with the leading lights of a jiu jitsu club, who
practiced defences against - well, /everything/...)

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: J. J. Lodder on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> Peter Ceresole <peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Duncan Kennedy <nospam(a)nospamottersonbg.couk> wrote:
> >
> > > That's right - the beauty was (is, because I still have both of mine)
> > > they have detachable cables with a plug at both ends - although that may
> > > be why the solder joint on the socket / board junction failed on both
> > > and had to be resoldered.
> >
> > No; the nicest thing was that they had inertial scrolling. My Logitech
> > MX500 has it now- nicely implemented in software, a flick of the finger
> > and you scroll through lists and views, but this was the real thing,
> > from the proper engineering, the bearings, and the massive ball. I guess
> > it would have made a great murder weapon.
>
> A Bic biro makes a great murder weapon as it happens.

You can't know about this one.

The 'ballpoint murder' is a notorious case in the Netherlands.
A woman was found dead from a Bic in the brain,
with an almost invisible entrane wound behind the eyeball.
A too clever sleuth decided
that it must have been fired at her with a crossbow,
making it the almost perfect murder.
Her son was made to confess under pressure,
and was duly convicted to 12 years.

It turned out to be all nonsense,
and one of the worst errors of justice
in the Netherlands.