From: Nil on
On 11 Apr 2007, "Angof" <angof(a)nospam.com> wrote in cakewalk.audio:

> Is there any alternative to the TTS-1?

What are you looking for, a General MIDI synth?

Sonar 2 came with the Edirol Virtual Sound Canvas DXi, which I still
use sometimes to get a MIDI project started. I see I've got the TTS-1,
but I've never used it.
From: Angof on

"Nil" <rednoise+news(a)REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote in message
> On 11 Apr 2007, "Angof" <angof(a)nospam.com> wrote in cakewalk.audio:
>
>> Is there any alternative to the TTS-1?
>
> What are you looking for, a General MIDI synth?
>
> Sonar 2 came with the Edirol Virtual Sound Canvas DXi, which I still
> use sometimes to get a MIDI project started. I see I've got the TTS-1,
> but I've never used it.

Well the TTS-1 does some things well like some of the strings and synth
stuff, but does things like guitars, basses and other bits and bobs really
badly imo, so i wondering if there were alternate options.

Angof

From: Sue Morton on
Lots of alternatives, as has been pointed out. To select one, you need to
know whether you require the GM (or GS) standard, do you want the same type
of sounding banks (but "better" -- a subjective idea!) or different sounds,
what sorts of responses do you want (some have better velocity response than
others) and so on. The list is endless but there are probably only a few
that fit the criteria only YOU really know :-)

Personally, the TTS-1 is fine for almost everything I do. I have Garritan
Personal Orchestra for a few other sounds that are "better" than TTS-1
(LOL), and lots of stand alone wav samples and soundfont libraries that I
pull from.

For a closer-to-canned approach, let Steve Karl of this group tell you what
he uses. Listen to his music at http://www.sightsea.com/music/index.asp and
see if you like the sounds he has used in his compositions. The libraries
he works with aren't cheap, but how he has put them together, they are
superb sounding IMO.
---
Sue Morton

From: kitekrazy on
Cap'n Ron wrote:
> It's not available commercially but it is still around. It also works just
> fine on both my desktop and laptop with XP.
> There was a problem with Direct X installing it, but there is a workaround.
>
> Anyway, you didn't answer the question. I wanted to know what softsynth
> available commercially today would most closely resemble the Yammie. It is a
> great tool, but the guitars tend to sound a little weak.
>
> Cap'n Ron

It sounds like you answered your own question. I for one do miss the XG50.

I guess you could fork over some $$$ for Motif sound module.

If you want great guitars then you need to go with sample based options .
From: Cap'n Ron on

> If you want great guitars then you need to go with sample based options .

That's what I was afraid of. Do you know if it would be possible to run
everything but the guitars through the Yam softsynth, and set the guitars
"output" to samples/soundfonts? Does that create a syncing problem? And do
you have any suggestions for guitar sampling?

Thanks for your help.