From: Cap'n Ron on

Hey Nil,

All of my files are Midi format 1, but I do have all midis playing through
the Yamaha softsynth. This is the first attempt at trying multiple
softsynths for different tracks. So far I don't like it.

The thing about nudging the track to line things up sounds interesting. Are
you talking about moving the midi info around? That shouldn't be the
problem, because I can play the entire song through the Yamaha synth without
any issues. I only have lag when I insert a DXI. Is there a way to alter
latency of the inserted DXI, or maybe slowing down the Yamaha so the VSC can
keep up?

Thanks,
Cap'n Ron

From: Sue Morton on
Answers inline...
--
Sue Morton

"Cap'n Ron" <Cap'nRon(a)NOSPAM88.com> wrote in message
>A lot of great info, but a couple of questions still:
>
> 1. Midi track - output to VSC for example, should the patch(instrument)
> selected be "none" and the instrument selected on the VSC the one I really
> want? Seems that Nylon gtr. on the midi conflicts with Hawaiian gtr. on
> the synth.

There is no patch in one and patch in the other. Your midi track, if 'none'
on the track view in Sonar, probably has an embedded patch instruction
inside the MIDI stream along with the notes etc.

You want the MIDI track to send the correct information to the synth,
whether from within the MIDI stream (harder) or from the track properties
(easier, if only 1 instrument there). Keep in mind, the TTS-1 is *not*
GM/GS midi standard, so you may be hearing a different sound from it for the
instrument you *think* you are asking for, because it's not in the same
place on the TTS-1. You need to send the patch AND bank that correctly
selects the sound you want, from the synth.

> 2. I have midi tracks in the song, so I don't insert new ones as you
> said. However, don't I have to insert the audio track when I insert the
> DXI synth?

Yes if you don't already have one, that is the audio track the synth lives
on. If you already have one, it can be 'converted' to be a synth audio
track. Usually it is better to let the 'wizard' insert one for you.

> 3. Syncing - It seems that when I do get this to work, the Yamaha synth
> is playing all the other tracks while the VSC is playing the guitar track.
> However, the music played back doesn't sound in time. The guitar track is
> slightly behind I believe. Is there a possible Audio Engine setting I
> have wrong?

After having moved on to #4, I think this is not sync but latency. Sonar
will have some latency to the sound rendered by the TTS-1 or other
Sonar-driven synth. Sending the MIDI stream outside Sonar will not involve
Sonar's latency, but whatever exists outside Sonar. They will never match
easily. Stay inside Sonar to be able to control this for now. You can
learn how to mix and match later...

> 4. Do I have an issue with the Yamaha set as my Global output device for
> all midi in the Tools section? Does the VSC override this global setting
> for the guitar track only?

By 'Yamaha' do you mean the Windows softsynth? This is external to Sonar.
You can route your signal exclusively out of Sonar, out Sonar *and* to a
Sonar-driven synth like the TTS-1, or only to a Sonar-driven synth. I'm not
sure what you're referring to as a 'default' -- I am not aware of any
'default' but then I always populate all my MIDI and synth parameters.

From: Nil on
On 15 Apr 2007, "Cap'n Ron" <Cap'nRon(a)NOSPAM88.com> wrote in
cakewalk.audio:

> All of my files are Midi format 1, but I do have all midis playing
> through the Yamaha softsynth. This is the first attempt at trying
> multiple softsynths for different tracks. So far I don't like it.

What is this Yahaha softsynth? Did it come bundles with Sonar, or did
you acquire it otherwise? I don't have it, and I have several versions
of Sonar.

I suggest you use a GM synth that I know works, namely the Cakewalk
TTS-1 or the Edirol VSC, if you have it. If you don't like the guitar
sound those produce, you could try a guitar soundfont, hosted by sfz
(if you own a VST wrapper) or Live Synth Pro (which came with early
versions of Sonar). You might be able to find some reasonably natural-
sounding guitar sound fonts. Personally I haven't, but since I'm a
guitarist, I just play my own.

So, an example could be:

- add both your GM synth (TSS-1) and the soundfont player (or other
soft synth) to Sonar's Synth Rack. When you add them, you will be given
the option to Create the First Synth Audio Output. That will create an
audio track in Sonar so you can control it's volume and other
properties. De-select the option to Create MIDI Track, since they
already exist in the project.

- Make sure each MIDI track is dedicated to a single MIDI channel.
Drums are usually assigned to channel 10.

- Then you just direct the output your MIDI tracks to whichever soft
synth you like - in your case, maybe, all MIDI tracks would go to the
TSS-1, except for the guitar track, which would be outputted to the
sound font player.

> The thing about nudging the track to line things up sounds
> interesting. Are you talking about moving the midi info around?
> That shouldn't be the problem, because I can play the entire song
> through the Yamaha synth without any issues. I only have lag when
> I insert a DXI. Is there a way to alter latency of the inserted
> DXI, or maybe slowing down the Yamaha so the VSC can keep up?

Yes, I'm talking about moving the MIDI track around. Not it shouldn't
be necessary, but it's a valid workaround. There's a control in Sonar 5
to offset the MIDI time up and back, but I think I recall that that
control wasn't in the earliest versions of Sonar. Look in the help for
Track-Property-Time.
From: Cap'n Ron on
Sorry, I thought you caught the first part of this query.

I'll quickly summarize: Sonar 2.0Xl with Yamaha S-YXG 50 softsynth as the
midi device output. All midi is format 1 with all tracks playing through
the S-YXG50.

I just wanted to try some different synths on the guitar tracks that already
exist, because that is the only area that sounds weak.

The midi track properties show, for example, "nylon guitar" as the patch,
bank is "---" and Out is "1-yamaha xg wdm softsynthesizer". This is before
adding the Virtual Sound Canvas or any other synth.
After adding the VSC, I can now see a VSC window that shows all 16 tracks
(with piano 1 as the instruments on all 16 tracks). I then change the
original midi track's "Out" to the VSC. The patch then changes to "24"
rather than saying "nylon guitar". I can change this number to some other
number/patch, but I no longer see the actual instrument's name, just numbers
to pick from. Also, on the VSC window, I can pick a new patch for that
track and I see the actual instrument names. The problem is that the
original midi track doesn't update the patch name from "24" to whatever I
have picked. That is what I meant by a conflict. The midi info (notes) is
going through the VSC and playing the new instrument, but it seems like I
should be saving this new patch info somewhere permanent.

The other issue was the latency problem. How to do adjust for that in this
situation? It would seem that the Yamaha softsynth is faster than the VSC,
so should I slow it down or try to somehow "speed up" the VSC?

Thanks for bearing with me, I hope I have cleared up the question.

From: Cap'n Ron on

The Yamaha S-YX50 is a standalone softsynth that I have all tracks output
to. It is no longer sold by Yamaha. It did not come with any version of
Sonar/Cakewalk that I know of, but overall it sounds much better to me than
the synths that did come with Sonar 2.0 (except for those guitar parts).

I believe with your help and Sue's, we have determined that there is a
latency issue when I apply another softsynth to a project.

I will work on solutions for that, and I am also going to start researching
guitar soundfonts as you suggested. I too play guitar along with my midi
files, but I mostly play rhythym, so I need that lead guitar in the mix.

Thanks for your help and suggestions,

Cap'n Ron