From: Brent on
On 2010-01-23, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote:

>>Also, an 80 year old person cannot get a kidney or transplant. Heart
>>transplant candidates are carefully screened. All of this is a form of
>>rationing.

> In the UK they would if they were fit enough for the operation and it
> would improve their life. That said AFAIK all patients get screened for
> operations as no one wants to do pointless operations. However these
> decisions are taken on medical grounds.

That's rationing of the pie. The customer doesn't decide, the government
employee does. They decide how the health care pie is going to be split
up. They decide if the 80 year old is deserving of it or not. It's a
fixed supply system. That's the mentality it runs under.

From: Peter on
"Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote in message
> In message <4b5b0a58$0$30934$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, Peter
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> writes
>>"Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote in message news:sdzdhdCBKvWLFAjF@p
>>haedsys.demon.co.uk...
>>
>>> As I discovered this morning (and from the last 50 years of personal
>>> experience) it is not rationed. The "rationed" and "death panels" is a
>>> myth concocted by the US anti-Obama people. It is not something Brits
>>> would recognise.
>>>

>>Basically true,
>
> It is true. I am British, living in the UK and had cause to use the NHS
> this morning.
>
>>but many myths are based upon some fact. Health care is rationed, to
>>some extent. I know of no system that gives unlimited treatment to all
>>comers.
>
> The UK tries to as do many other systems. It does fall over sometimes in
> practice.

Do the docs still classify patients as private?

>> Common sense tells us that is fiscally impossible. Here in the US,
>>under our current system rationing is partially based upon ability to
>>pay.
>
> Quite so.
>
>>No one really believes that the medical treatment given to our poverty
>>level patients is the same as for those who can afford to pay.
>
> In the UK there is no difference.

I have no direct means of verifying that. However, working on the assumption
that the Brits have characteristics of human nature, I suppose it would
depend upon whether some doctors get paid privately.
Do you really believe that the Queen has to wait in her doctor's waiting
room?

--
Peter

From: Chris H on
In message <4b5b3875$0$31020$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, Peter
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> writes
>"Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote in message news:GCVnG4MZJzWLFAGL@p
>haedsys.demon.co.uk...
>>
>>>No one really believes that the medical treatment given to our poverty
>>>level patients is the same as for those who can afford to pay.
>>
>> In the UK there is no difference.
>>

>I have no direct means of verifying that.

I can. I live here.

>However, working on the assumption that the Brits have characteristics
>of human nature, I suppose it would depend upon whether some doctors
>get paid privately.

There are both private and NHS doctors. Some do both. Having an NHS
system does not preclude private medical systems. It is not a mutually
exclusive choice.

Everyone pays for the NHS in taxes. Everyone gets NHS treatment. Those
who want to do something else (in addition) can do.

It is no good saying I want to be private ONLY (and no pay the taxes for
the NHS) and then one day suddenly find you are broke and have no
issuance etc and no private medical care any more. As you will not have
paid into the NHS system and then should not be treated under it.

>Do you really believe that the Queen has to wait in her doctor's
>waiting room?

No. There is no difference to the NHS. However if you want to pay for
private treatment that is your choice. The Queen will use private
medical treatment simply because of her position. The same is true or
other people who for business, security or other reasons want their
medical treatment on their terms and not the NHS terms.

From: Chris H on
In message <hjfd8f$pjv$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Brent <tetraethyll
eadREMOVETHIS(a)yahoo.com> writes
>On 2010-01-23, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote:
>
>>>Also, an 80 year old person cannot get a kidney or transplant. Heart
>>>transplant candidates are carefully screened. All of this is a form of
>>>rationing.
>
>> In the UK they would if they were fit enough for the operation and it
>> would improve their life. That said AFAIK all patients get screened for
>> operations as no one wants to do pointless operations. However these
>> decisions are taken on medical grounds.
>
>That's rationing of the pie. The customer doesn't decide, the government
>employee does.

Not at all the medical staff decide on MEDICAL grounds.

>They decide how the health care pie is going to be split
>up. They decide if the 80 year old is deserving of it or not. It's a
>fixed supply system. That's the mentality it runs under.

That is the US mentality. Not the NHS mentality.

All I have seen so far is the US does not trust it's own governments.

From: Peter on
> In message <4b5b3875$0$31020$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, Peter
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> writes
>>"Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote in message news:GCVnG4MZJzWLFAGL@p
>>haedsys.demon.co.uk...

>>> In the UK there is no difference.
>>>

>>I have no direct means of verifying that.
>
> I can. I live here.

So, you expect us to believe that private gets no better treatment? I
certainly do not believe that.

>>However, working on the assumption that the Brits have characteristics
>>of human nature, I suppose it would depend upon whether some doctors
>>get paid privately.
>
> There are both private and NHS doctors. Some do both. Having an NHS
> system does not preclude private medical systems. It is not a mutually
> exclusive choice.
>
> Everyone pays for the NHS in taxes. Everyone gets NHS treatment. Those
> who want to do something else (in addition) can do.
>
> It is no good saying I want to be private ONLY (and no pay the taxes for
> the NHS) and then one day suddenly find you are broke and have no
> issuance etc and no private medical care any more. As you will not have
> paid into the NHS system and then should not be treated under it.
>
>>Do you really believe that the Queen has to wait in her doctor's
>>waiting room?
>

> No. There is no difference to the NHS. However if you want to pay for
> private treatment that is your choice. The Queen will use private
> medical treatment simply because of her position. The same is true or
> other people who for business, security or other reasons want their
> medical treatment on their terms and not the NHS terms.

And many, including a former PM or yours, will use private for other
reasons. He even came here for treatment while he was in office. Out of
discretion I will not reveal his name, nor how I know about it.

--
Peter