From: Virgil on
In article <1150837769.423770.307920(a)u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com>,
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> Dik T. Winter schrieb:
>
> > In article <1150728187.749465.36710(a)g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>
> > mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de writes:

> > > That is correct.

> > > M depends on f. And when you take g, then M depends on g. That is the
> > > essence of M.
> >
> > In that case M is not a set.
>
> Of course it is.

But given two different functions, say f and g,
one has M_f != M_g.

So "M" is not a set but the value of some function whose arguments are f
and g.

> Cardinality is aleph_0 is there is a bijection with |N. If that is
> impssible, then cardinality is larger.

Or smaller, or unknown.

> > > That is not at all the way a bijection has to be constructed between |N
> > > and M. That is simply impossible!

It is a good deal more possible that the garbage claims Meucken has been
making.

> > A bijection can be constructed, you only can not name if f.
>
> First you must find out what the set {f, k, K} is. *That* is
> impossible, not K.

F and K and M are all impossible as long as Muecken requires that f have
K as a value.

Absent that requirement, it is all possible and the resulting M is
countable.
From: Rupert on

mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
> Rupert schrieb:
>
> > mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> > > No.
> >
> > Yep. In one of the occurrences it occurs preceded by a universal
> > quantifier, in the other it occurs as a constant symbol.
>
> Could you say what you mean?

Are you familiar with existential quantifiers and universal
quantifiers? You are making a statement of the form "There does not
exist an f such that...", or, alternatively "For all f it is not the
case that..." Then later on you use f to refer to a specific function.
You should use different letters on these two occasions.

> > > f is not fixed by any prescription.
> > >

> > It doesn't make sense to talk about the set K={k e |N: k /e f(k)} unles
> > you've specified what f is.
>
> f is not fixed by any specification. Therefore my arguing holds for any
> f. K is that subset of |N which contains all natural numbers which are
> not mapped under f on sets containing themselves.

Okay. So let me have a shot in translating what you've said into
something coherent.

"Let f be an arbitrary function. There does not exist a bijective
mapping g:N->M, where M is the set consisting of all the finite subsets
of N together with the set K={k e N: k /e f(k)}."

This is false. There always will exist such a bijection g. It will of
course be different to f.

From: Rupert on

mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
> Rupert schrieb:
>
> > mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> > > No.
> >
> > Yep. In one of the occurrences it occurs preceded by a universal
> > quantifier, in the other it occurs as a constant symbol.
>
> Could you say what you mean?

> > > f is not fixed by any prescription.
> > >

> > It doesn't make sense to talk about the set K={k e |N: k /e f(k)} unles
> > you've specified what f is.
>
> f is not fixed by any specification. Therefore my arguing holds for any
> f. K is that subset of |N which contains all natural numbers which are
> not mapped under f on sets containing themselves.

An alternative interpretation for what you're trying to say would be
"It is not the case that there exists a set M of subsets of N and a
bijection f:N->M, such that M consists of all the finite subsets of N
together with the set K={k e N: k /e f(k)}."

This is quite correct, but it does not amount to identifying an
uncountable countable set. What you've done is observe that there does
not exist a pair (M,f) with certain properties. To identify an
uncountable set you have to first identify a set M and then observe
that there does not exist an f with certain properties.

From: Virgil on
In article <1150870468.791288.14540(a)p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,
"Rupert" <rupertmccallum(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
> > Rupert schrieb:

> > > Yep. In one of the occurrences it occurs preceded by a universal
> > > quantifier, in the other it occurs as a constant symbol.
> >
> > Could you say what you mean?
> >

> Are you familiar with existential quantifiers and universal
> quantifiers? You are making a statement of the form "There does not
> exist an f such that...", or, alternatively "For all f it is not the
> case that..." Then later on you use f to refer to a specific function.
> You should use different letters on these two occasions.

> > > It doesn't make sense to talk about the set K={k e |N: k /e f(k)} unles
> > > you've specified what f is.
> >
> > f is not fixed by any specification. Therefore my arguing holds for any
> > f. K is that subset of |N which contains all natural numbers which are
> > not mapped under f on sets containing themselves.
>
> Okay. So let me have a shot in translating what you've said into
> something coherent.
>
> "Let f be an arbitrary function. There does not exist a bijective
> mapping g:N->M, where M is the set consisting of all the finite subsets
> of N together with the set K={k e N: k /e f(k)}."
>
> This is false. There always will exist such a bijection g. It will of
> course be different to f.

Except that if the function is require to have K as a value, the f and K
and M cannot exist:
if f(n) = K = {k e N: k /e f(k)} is n a member of K or not?

From: mueckenh on

Dik T. Winter schrieb:

> > A set is required which is the image of k if it is not the image of k.
> > A barber is required who shaves himself if he does not.

(In case f should be surjective.)

> 1. Given a mapping f: N -> P(N), the set K(f) constructed according to
> Hessenberg *does* exist. If f were a bijection it is required (by
> the *definition* of bijection) that K(f) (because it is an element
> of P(N)) is the image of some element of N, but it is not, showing
> that f is not a bijection. P(N) does not depend on f, so there is
> no mapping between N and P(N) that is a bijection.

Who told you? Map f : N --> P(N) \ K(f). That has not been proven
impossible.
Then map g(n+1) = f(n) and g(1) = K(f). There is no proof that this
cannot be a bijection.

> 2. Given a mapping f: N -> S, the sets K(f) and M(f) do exist. If f
> were a bijection between N and M(f), K(f) should be in the image,
> it is not, so f is not a bijection. From this you can *not*
> conclude that M(f) is uncountable, because there can be a bijection
> g: N -> M(f). You can at most conclude that the union of *all* M(f)'s
> is uncountable. And that is easy, that union is just P(N).
>
> > On the other hand, why should any mapping not exist? If you claim that
> > a surjective mapping |N --> P(|N) must contain the set K in any case,
> > then there is no arguing why my mapping should not exist.
>
> Your mapping does exist. See (2) above.

Of course. But only if f is not surjective. And g can be applied to
Hessenberg's proof in the same way.

Regards, WM

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Prev: integral problem
Next: Prime numbers