From: Virgil on
In article <1150836068.607034.205340(a)y41g2000cwy.googlegroups.com>,
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> Virgil schrieb:
>

> > Give us an example of such an f, K_f and M_f, to show that such an f,
> > K_f anf M_f can actually exist.
>
> If the set {f, k, K} could actually exist, then M would be countable.
> But it is not, isn't it?

If M_f exists at all it is countable, and if it doesn't exist the
question of its countability is disappears.

> > If they can exist at all, it is easy enough to show that there is a
> > bijection beween |N and M_f, and if they can't then there is no M_f to
> > worry about.
>
> In order to define K_f you first have map all natural numbers n of |N
> on the finite subsets of |N. Then consider K_f. But there is no element
> k of |N remaining, which could be mapped on K.

Then try a different mapping, say g:N --> M_f.
I have previously shown that if K_f and M_f exist for a non-bijective
f:N --> M_f, then M_f must be countable.

I have also shown that if f itself is required to be a bijection neither
it not K_f nor M_f even exist, so the question of countability of a
non-set is nonsense.
From: Virgil on
In article <1150836248.705493.88420(a)c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> Virgil schrieb:
>
> > > M depends on f. And when you take g, then M depends on g. That is the
> > > essence of M.
> >
> > Wrong! Given any two large sets are many functions for one to the other
> > and equality of cardinality depends on whether any one of them is a
> > bijection. Given two sets to compare, you cannot restrict things to only
> > one allowable function between them but must allow all possible
> > functions between them to be considered.
>
> I allow for all functions, because I did not introduce any
> restrictions.

You require that
(1) f be a bijection and
(2) its codomain contain {x in N: x not in f(x)} = K_f

These conditions are mutually contradictory, so that no such bijection
and no such K_f can co-exist.

However, it the function is not required t have K_f as a value, so that
IT is not bijection, then both f and K_f can exist and the codomain of
F, namely M_f, is countable.

> > > I do not change anything. I define K by exactly that mapping which is
> > > assumed.
> >
> > Then there are other functions between N and M_f, one of which is a
> > bijection.
>
> Could you prove that assertion please?
>
> > There are two issues here. The first is whether a function of the sort
> > Meucken tries to create can exist at all. He has given no example of
> > such a function, nor proof of existence.
>
> Of course there is no proof of existence. If it was, then M was
> countable.

Then the non-existent set M_f, if not countable, is not uncountable
either.

From: Virgil on
In article <1150836393.730055.231800(a)y41g2000cwy.googlegroups.com>,
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> Virgil schrieb:
>
> > In article <1150728692.949790.258040(a)h76g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> > > Above I spelled out clearly that M contains the set of all finite
> > > subsets of |N and one more set K. What is unclear?

> > > If M was the set of all finite subsets of N, that would be easy enough
> > > to see.

> > > Such a mapping is possible with no doubt. There remains only one
> > > question: what number is mapped on K?
> >
> > That raises the question of whether such a set as M_f can exist at all.
> >
> > If it cannot exist, then the issue of whether a non-existent set is
> > countable is irrelevant.
>
> Of course it exists.

How can a function, f, from N to any subset of P(N) exist if it must be
the case that for some n in N, f(n) = {k in N: k not in f(k)} ?

If n were such that f(n) = K_f = {k in N: k not in f(k)}, would it be
the case that n IS a member of K_f or n IS NOT a member of K_f?

Assuming either establishes its negation, so neither can be the case.

> > So that Meucken's first duty is to prove that a function having the sort
> > of codomain, M_f, he describes can exist at all.
> >
> > If ever that is established, the construction of a bijection between it
> > and N is fairly trivial.
>
> If |N exists, then K exists too.

WRONG! Existence of N is quite simple in ZFC of NBG, but the existence
of K depends on the alleged properties of function f.

If f is requires to have K_f as a value then f, K_f and M_f are all
non-existant.

If f is allowed not to have K_f as a value, then f, though no longer a
bijection, can exist, as can K_f and M_f. But in this case there are
other functions between N and M_f which ARE bijections.
From: Virgil on
In article <1150836884.833877.138440(a)c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> Virgil schrieb:
>

> > > The element K of M does not exist.
>
> Excuse me. The set {f, k, K} does not exist.
> >
> > That requires proof, and is false in at least one case.
> > Let f(n) = {} for all n, then K_f is quite well defined, and equals N.
>
> You are correct. Of course K_f does exist for any f (if all natural
> numbers do exist).

Not so. {f,K_f,M_f} cannot exist if f is required to have K_f as a
value, but can and will, though not as a bijection, exist if that
requirement is voided.

> Nevertheless you see that the mapping is not a
> bijection beause no f(n) = K.

The failure of one function to be a bijection does no establish that
none exist.

> > > If it is proven impossible to set up a mapping between M and |N, then M
> > > is uncountable.
> >
> > Wrong!
>
> M is countable means: There is an enumeration of the elements of M,
> i.e., a bijective mapping |N <--> M.
> >
> > If it is impossible to set up an injection from N to M_F or a surjection
> > from M_f to N, and the axiom of choice is assumed, only then is M_f
> > uncountable.
> >
> > And if K does not exist,
>
> If |N does exist, then each of its subsets must exist, including K.

K can only exist if the function, f, which defines it is not required
to have it for a value.
> What does not exist is the bijection |N <--> M.

If M_f exists at all (and it won't with Muecken's conditions on f) ,
then there are uncountably many bijections between N and M
From: Virgil on
In article <1150837129.824319.182500(a)i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> Rupert schrieb:
>
> > mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> > > No.
> >
> > Yep. In one of the occurrences it occurs preceded by a universal
> > quantifier, in the other it occurs as a constant symbol.
>
> Could you say what you mean?

> > > f is not fixed by any prescription.
> > >

> > It doesn't make sense to talk about the set K={k e |N: k /e f(k)} unles
> > you've specified what f is.
>
> f is not fixed by any specification.

its domain, codomain and range have been specified, but that codomain
and range have been define circularly in a way which prohibits the
existence of an F, K_f and M_f satisfying those conditions.

The easiest condition to relax is the one requiring that f be a
bijection, in particular that it have K_f as a value.
If this condition is dropped then, and only then, can an {f,K_f, M_f} as
described actually exist, and then M_f is easily countable.

> > So you mean M is the set of all finite subsets of |N, together with all
> > sets of the form K={k e |N: k /e f(k)}, where f ranges over all
> > possible mappings |N->P(|N)?
>
> No. K is that single set which belongs to the function f.

Thus you need to have that there to exist an n in N such that
f(n) = {x in N: x not in f(x)} = K_f

But if that n is in K_f then n is not in f(n) = K_f
and if it is not in K_f then it is automatically in f(n) = K_f
so that no such n can exist such that f(n) = K_f.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: integral problem
Next: Prime numbers