From: mueckenh on

Virgil schrieb:

> In article <1150728692.949790.258040(a)h76g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
>
> > Daryl McCullough schrieb:
> >
> > > mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de says...

> > > It's not exactly clear what you are talking about here. Do
> > > you mean that M is the set of all finite subsets of N?
> >
> > Above I spelled out clearly that M contains the set of all finite
> > subsets of |N and one more set K. What is unclear?
> >
> > > In
> > > that case, there is definitely a bijection between M and N:
> >
> > If M was the set of all finite subsets of N, that would be easy enough
> > to see.
> >
> > > If you let K = { k in N such that k is not an element of f(k) }
> > > then we can see that
> > >
> > > K = N
> >
> > Such a mapping is possible with no doubt. There remains only one
> > question: what number is mapped on K?
>
> That raises the question of whether such a set as M_f can exist at all.
>
> If it cannot exist, then the issue of whether a non-existent set is
> countable is irrelevant.

Of course it exists. There are all finite subsets of |N. And there is,
for any function f, the set of all natural numbers, which are not
mapped on sets containing them. If |N exists, then K exists too. Maybe
|N does not exist completely?

> So that Meucken's first duty is to prove that a function having the sort
> of codomain, M_f, he describes can exist at all.
>
> If ever that is established, the construction of a bijection between it
> and N is fairly trivial.

If |N exists, then K exists too. Maybe |N does not exist completely?

Regards, WM

From: mueckenh on

Virgil schrieb:

> > The element K of M does not exist.

Excuse me. The set {f, k, K} does not exist.

> That requires proof, and is false in at least one case.
> Let f(n) = {} for all n, then K_f is quite well defined, and equals N.

You are correct. Of course K_f does exist for any f (if all natural
numbers do exist). Nevertheless you see that the mapping is not a
bijection beause no f(n) = K.

> > If it is proven impossible to set up a mapping between M and |N, then M
> > is uncountable.
>
> Wrong!

M is countable means: There is an enumeration of the elements of M,
i.e., a bijective mapping |N <--> M.

> If it is impossible to set up an injection from N to M_F or a surjection
> from M_f to N, and the axiom of choice is assumed, only then is M_f
> uncountable.
>
> And if K does not exist,

If |N does exist, then each of its subsets must exist, including K.
What does not exist is the bijection |N <--> M.

Regards, WM

From: mueckenh on

Rupert schrieb:

> mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
> > Rupert schrieb:

> > > You're using the notation "f" in two ways.
> >
> > No.
>
> Yep. In one of the occurrences it occurs preceded by a universal
> quantifier, in the other it occurs as a constant symbol.

Could you say what you mean?

> > > First you're denying that a
> > > function f with certain properties exists, then you're defining M in
> > > terms of some fixed function f,
> >
> > f is not fixed by any prescription.
> >

> It doesn't make sense to talk about the set K={k e |N: k /e f(k)} unles
> you've specified what f is.

f is not fixed by any specification. Therefore my arguing holds for any
f. K is that subset of |N which contains all natural numbers which are
not mapped under f on sets containing themselves.

> > > which it's not clear what it is. Use a
> > > different letter for the two things, and the define the function
> >
> > f is not restricted by any definition. Any mapping f: |N --> M is
> > allowed.
> >

> So you mean M is the set of all finite subsets of |N, together with all
> sets of the form K={k e |N: k /e f(k)}, where f ranges over all
> possible mappings |N->P(|N)?

No. K is that single set which belongs to the function f.

Regards, WM

From: mueckenh on

Dik T. Winter schrieb:

> In article <1150728187.749465.36710(a)g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de writes:
> > Dik T. Winter schrieb:

> > > Ah, I see. The set M is defined depending on f. Well in that case f
> > > is clearly not a bijection between N and M.
> >
> > That is correct.
> >
> > > This does not tell us that
> > > there is *no* bijection (say g) between N and M.
> >
> > M depends on f. And when you take g, then M depends on g. That is the
> > essence of M.
>
> In that case M is not a set.

Of course it is. It contains all finite subsets of |N and that set
which contains all natural numers wich under f are mapped on sets not
containing them. If |N is a set, then M is clearly a set too.

> And in order to tell whether that is
> uncountable or not you have to first define cardinality on such
> non-sets.

Cardinality is aleph_0 is there is a bijection with |N. If that is
impssible, then cardinality is larger.

> > > So also M(f) is countable.
> >
> > That is not at all the way a bijection has to be constructed between |N
> > and M. That is simply impossible!
>
> A bijection can be constructed, you only can not name if f.

First you must find out what the set {f, k, K} is. *That* is
impossible, not K.

A bijection can be constructed from |N to the numbers of Cantors list
and the diagonal number. You only first have to construct the latter.

> > But if you like tricks of this kind, then you can biject |N and its
> > power set P(|N) \ K. Subsequently take
> > 1. g(0) = K(f)
> > 2. g(n) = f(n - 1) when n > 0
> > and we see that Cantor's theorem is not proven by Hessenberg's proof,
> > because this proof makes use of the impredicable definition of a set
> > which does not and cannot exist, as well as the barber who shaves all
> > men of his village.
>
> Sorry, this is plain nonsense. You can not construct a bijection between
> P(N) \ K.

Who told you?

> The difference between this and your construction with M(f)
> is that the target M(f) depends on the bijection you are constructing.

The same holds in case of the proof of Cantor's theorem.

> P(N) is a properly defined set that does not depend on anything but N.

But the set of numbers which are mapped on sets not containing them is
not proerly defined.

> But you are wrong. For every mapping f, the set K does exist (and is
> an element of P(N), which does not depend on f),

Of course it does. That is very obvious.

> but it is not in the
> image of f, which it should be if f is a bijection.
>
> > Of course, one may define a mapping from |N on P(|N), for instance n
> > --> {n}, where K is well defined. But the set {f, k, K}, essential for
> > Hessenberg's proof, does not exist. This shows that the customary
> > proof of Cantor's theorem makes use of a set which does not exist,
> > namely {f, k, K}. Therefore, its non-existence does not prove anything
> > about surjectivity of mappings.
>
> The triple {f, k, K} does indeed not exist, but if f is a bijection it
> should exist. It is just this contradiction that shows that f is not
> a bijection.

Exactly the same holds in my example. Of course every subset K of |N
does exist. I is only the triple which does not. It is just this

From: Dik T. Winter on
In article <1150835899.493068.116800(a)g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de writes:
> Of course K exists for every mapping f (if |N exists). But the set {f,
> k, K} is a paradox set. It is not suitable to show that a bijection |N
> --> {all finite subsets of P(|N) plus one further set} does not exist.

You do not show that. You show only that given a mapping f from N to the
set of finite subsets of N, the mapping f --> {all finite subsets of N
plus one additional subset conditioned by f} does not exist. This does
*not* prove that there is no bijection between N and {all finite subsets
of N plus one additional subset conditioned by f} does not exist.

> Why do you believe it could be capable of showing that |N --> P(|N)
> does not exist?

Because P(N) does not depend on the mapping used. If you give as target
the set of all finite subsets of N plus one additional subset, I can
construct a bijection between N and that set. But your target is a
moving target.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Prev: integral problem
Next: Prime numbers