From: Virgil on
In article <1150796061.943937.27660(a)p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> > [mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de]

> Of course f does not exist. But the reason has nothing at all to do
> with cardinalities. This error, however, is the foundation of
> Hessenberg's proof of Cantor's theorem.

f does not exist if it is required to be a bijection, but in that case
neither does K(f) of M(f) exist, so there no such set as M(f).

On the other hand, if f is not required to have K(f) in its image set,
then there is no problem with constructing any number of such functions,
and for each of them, there is a bijection (though not f) between N and
M(f).

> A set is required which is the image of k if it is not the image of k.
> A barber is required who shaves himself if he does not.
> >
> > IOW, I doubt this argument can be made in ZFC, just as it's not possible
> > under ZFC to prove that
> >
> > F = {k e |N : k e F}
> > or
> > G = {k e |N : k /e G}
> >
> > exist.
>
> On the other hand, why should any mapping not exist? If you claim that
> a surjective mapping |N --> P(|N) must contain the set K in any case,
> then there is no arguing why my mapping should not exist.

The problem only arises when one insists that there is some n in N such
that f(n) = K(f). If one does not make that requirement, then there is
no problem with the existence of K(f) or with functions f:N --> M(f).
From: Virgil on
In article <1150796356.837197.53290(a)g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> Virgil schrieb:
>
> > In article <1150782120.872330.199120(a)c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> > mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> > > If it is proven impossible to set up a mapping between M and |N, then M
> > > is uncountable.
> >
> > But you have not proven it impossible, you merely argue that ONE
> > function between N and M(f) is not a bijection.
> >

> > WE have some f: N --> P(N), which we know is not a surjection since
> > there is no n in N for which one can have f(n) = K(f).
> >
> > But that does no mean that there is no surjection between M(f) and N.
> >
> > In fact, given a function f for which K(f) exists, it is not difficult
> > to build a bijection between M(f) and N as follows:
> >
> > For each S in M(F) define g: M(f) --> N by:
> > If K is finite then
> > if 0 e N
> > then g(S) = sum_{s e S} 2^s
> > else g(S) = sum_{s e S} 2^(s-1)
> > endif
> > else (K being infinite)
> > g(K) = the first natural
> > and
> > if 0 e N
> > then g(S) = sum_{s e S} 2^s+1
> > else g(S) = sum_{s e S} 2^(s-1)+1
> > endif
> > endif
> >
> > In all these cases, g will be a bijection from M(f) to N.

> > > No, it is not, because M(f) is incomplete without K. But K does not
> > > exist.
> >
> > But you have not proven it never exists, and for some functions, f, it
> > Does exist.
> >
> > For example, let f(n) = {} for all n, then
> > K = {k in N : not k e f(k) } = N.
> >
> > So that for SOME functions f, f, K(f) exists.
> >
> > The reason that Meucken's argument fails here is that there is no
> > necessity for the function f to be a surjection onto M(f).
> >
> > The desired bijection can be established by an entirely different
> > function between M(f) and N, as shown above.
>
> Only if K(f) would exist.

If one claims that such an f is a bijection, then it cannot exist at
all, but neither can K_f or M_f exist, so the problem of whether such a
nonexistent set as M_f is countable is irrelevant.

If one does not require f to be bijective, in particular if one does not
require that there be any n in N for which f(n) = K_f, then K_f anf M_f
may quite easily exist.

And M_f is quite easily shown to be bijectable with N when it does
exist.

> > > The reason for its non-existence is not lacking number of
> > > elements of |N but an impredicable definition.
> >
> > Wrong, as shown by a specific example above.
>
> Your example ist wrong because K(f) does not exist.

There are two cases to consider:

(1) If one requires that there be some n in N for which f(n) = K_f, then
the function f does not exist, but then neither do K_f and M_f, so there
is no problem as there is no such thing as M_f.
(2) If f:N --> P(N) is such that there is no n in N for which f(n) =
K_f, then again there is no problem, since while K_f and M_f may exist,
it is easily shown that when they do, M_f and N biject.

From: mueckenh on

Virgil schrieb:

> In article <1150710209.401911.130270(a)i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
>
> > Virgil schrieb:
> >

> > > Note that M depends on the particular f that has been chosen.
> > > We can indicate that dependence by writing M_f.
> >
> > Oh, indeed? What is the number k mapped under f on the set K = {k e |N
> > : k /e f(k)} of this M_f ?
>
> As soon as you tell us that M_f exists at all, YOU are telling us that
> there must be such a set, K. The only other option is that there is no
> such set K and no such set M_f and no such function f at all, in which
> case the uncountable-countable-set becomes a non-existent
> uncountable-countable-set.

Of course K exists for every mapping f (if |N exists). But the set {f,
k, K} is a paradox set. It is not suitable to show that a bijection |N
--> {all finite subsets of P(|N) plus one further set} does not exist.
Why do you believe it could be capable of showing that |N --> P(|N)
does not exist?

Regards, WM

From: mueckenh on

Virgil schrieb:

> Give us an example of such an f, K_f and M_f, to show that such an f,
> K_f anf M_f can actually exist.

If the set {f, k, K} could actually exist, then M would be countable.
But it is not, isn't it?

> If they can exist at all, it is easy enough to show that there is a
> bijection beween |N and M_f, and if they can't then there is no M_f to
> worry about.

In order to define K_f you first have map all natural numbers n of |N
on the finite subsets of |N. Then consider K_f. But there is no element
k of |N remaining, which could be mapped on K. Hence the set M is
uncountable. It is about the same as Cantors diagonal proof. The
diagonal number depends on all numbers of his list. Moreover, after
constructing the diagonal number, it turns out to belong to a countable
set. My M remains uncountable in any instance.

Regards, WM

From: mueckenh on

Virgil schrieb:

> > M depends on f. And when you take g, then M depends on g. That is the
> > essence of M.
>
> Wrong! Given any two large sets are many functions for one to the other
> and equality of cardinality depends on whether any one of them is a
> bijection. Given two sets to compare, you cannot restrict things to only
> one allowable function between them but must allow all possible
> functions between them to be considered.

I allow for all functions, because I did not introduce any
restrictions.

> > > In order to show that
> > > there is no bijection between N and M you are not allowed to change M
> > > for each and every attempted mapping.
> >
> > I do not change anything. I define K by exactly that mapping which is
> > assumed.
>
> Then there are other functions between N and M_f, one of which is a
> bijection.

Could you prove that assertion please?

> There are two issues here. The first is whether a function of the sort
> Meucken tries to create can exist at all. He has given no example of
> such a function, nor proof of existence.

Of course there is no proof of existence. If it was, then M was
countable.

> However if we allow the assumption that such a function f exists, it is
> not hard to show that there are bijections between |N and M_f, though f
> need not be one of them.

There are many bijections between {numbers of Cantor's list plus
diagonal number}. Don't you know that? Here is one: Enumerate list
number n by n+1 and enumerate the diagonal number by 1.

Regards, WM

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: integral problem
Next: Prime numbers