From: Daryl McCullough on
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de says...

>> > There is no bijective mapping f : |N --> M,
>> > where M contains the set of all finite subsets of |N
>> > and, in addition, the set K = {k e |N : k /e f(k)} of all natural
>> > numbers k which are mapped on subsets not containing k.

It's not exactly clear what you are talking about here. Do
you mean that M is the set of all finite subsets of N? In
that case, there is definitely a bijection between M and N:

Here's how to compute f(x):

1. Let x be any natural number.
2. If x=0, then let f(x) = the empty set.
3. If x=1, then let f(x) = { 0 }.
4. Otherwise, factor x into products of primes:
x = 2^a_1 3^a_2 5^a_3 ...
where the last a_j is required to be greater than 0.
5. Then let f(x) = the set { a_1, a_2 + a_1 + 1, a_3 + a_2 + 1, ... }

If you let K = { k in N such that k is not an element of f(k) }
then we can see that

f(0) = the empty set
so 0 is not an element of f(0)
so 0 is an element of K

f(1) = { 0 }
so 1 is not an element of f(1)
so 1 is an element of K

f(2) = { 1 }
so 2 is not an element of f(2)
so 2 is an element of K

In general, we can prove that for every natural number x,
x is not an element of f(x)
so x is an element of K

So we have

K = N

K is therefore, not a finite set, and so is not an element of M.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: mueckenh on

Dik T. Winter schrieb:

> In article <1150718841.726873.223390(a)g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de writes:
> >
> > Dik T. Winter schrieb:

> > > But is the set K in M? Pray give a proof.
> >
> > Of course it is, by definition, for without K M would not be M.
>
> Ah, I see. The set M is defined depending on f. Well in that case f
> is clearly not a bijection between N and M.

That is correct.

> This does not tell us that
> there is *no* bijection (say g) between N and M.

M depends on f. And when you take g, then M depends on g. That is the
essence of M.

> In order to show that
> there is no bijection between N and M you are not allowed to change M
> for each and every attempted mapping.

I do not change anything. I define K by exactly that mapping which is
assumed.

> Suppose f is a bijection between
> N and S, where S is the set of finite subsets of N (such a bijection
> does exist). Construct K(f) and next M(f). Clearly f is not a bijection
> between N and M(f). However it is possible to construct a bijection
> between N and M(f):
> 1. g(0) = K(f)
> 2. g(n) = f(n - 1) when n > 0.
> So also M(f) is countable.

That is not at all the way a bijection has to be constructed between |N
and M. That is simply impossible!
But if you like tricks of this kind, then you can biject |N and its
power set P(|N) \ K. Subsequently take
1. g(0) = K(f)
2. g(n) = f(n - 1) when n > 0
and we see that Cantor's theorem is not proven by Hessenberg's proof,
because this proof makes use of the impredicable definition of a set
which does not and cannot exist, as well as the barber who shaves all
men of his village.

Of course, one may define a mapping from |N on P(|N), for instance n
--> {n}, where K is well defined. But the set {f, k, K}, essential for
Hessenberg's proof, does not exist. This shows that the customary
proof of Cantor's theorem makes use of a set which does not exist,
namely {f, k, K}. Therefore, its non-existence does not prove anything
about surjectivity of mappings.

Regards, WM

From: mueckenh on

Daryl McCullough schrieb:

> mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de says...

> It's not exactly clear what you are talking about here. Do
> you mean that M is the set of all finite subsets of N?

Above I spelled out clearly that M contains the set of all finite
subsets of |N and one more set K. What is unclear?

> In
> that case, there is definitely a bijection between M and N:

If M was the set of all finite subsets of N, that would be easy enough
to see.

> If you let K = { k in N such that k is not an element of f(k) }
> then we can see that
>
> K = N

Such a mapping is possible with no doubt. There remains only one
question: what number is mapped on K?

Regards, WM

From: Daryl McCullough on
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de says...

>Above I spelled out clearly that M contains the set of all finite
>subsets of |N and one more set K. What is unclear?

Okay, so M is not a fixed set, but is a function of f. So to make
this precise, let's put in the functional dependence:

K(f) = { k in N | k is not an element of f(k) }
M(f) = { A in P(N) | A is finite, or A = K(f) }

where P(N) means the set of all subsets of N.

Then what you are saying is that

forall f: N -> P(N),
f is not a bijection between N and M(f)

That's true. But that doesn't mean that M(f) is uncountable.
We can prove

forall f: N -> P(N), exists g: N -> P(N)
g is a bijection between N and M(f)

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Virgil on
In article <1150703345.226815.319450(a)r2g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> Rupert schrieb:
>
> > mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
> > > An uncountable countable set
> > >
> > > There is no bijective mapping f : |N --> M,
> > > where M contains the set of all finite subsets of |N
> > > and, in addition, the set K = {k e |N : k /e f(k)} of all natural
> > > numbers k which are mapped on subsets not containing k.
> > >

> > You're using the notation "f" in two ways.
>
> No.
>
> > First you're denying that a
> > function f with certain properties exists, then you're defining M in
> > terms of some fixed function f,
>
> f is not fixed by any prescription.

For any given f:|N --> M_f there is a
h:M_f --> |N which is a bijection, and such an h is easy to constrruct.

Let |N = {0,,1,2,...} be the von Neumann model of the naturals , and
let G be the set of all finite subsets of |N, and
let sum_{n e {}} 2^n = 0, as is usual for empty sums,

then g:G --> |N defined by g(x) = sum_{y e x} 2^y
is a bijection from G to |N corresponding to the binary representation
of the members of |N.

Now for any f: |N --> M_f, of all finite subsets of |N together with
K = {k e |N : k /e f(k)} as members:

(1) either K is finite, in which case
G = M_f and h = g is a bijection between M_f and |N

or

(2) K is not finite, in which case
we can define h so that h(K) = 0 and
for x in G h(x) = g(x) + 1.

Thus in any event, for every given f: |N --> M_f
there is an easily constricted bijection between |N and M_f.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: integral problem
Next: Prime numbers