From: Arny Krueger on
"Andy" <andy_c(a)btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I've been using my EP2500 for a while now and I have to
> disconnect the speakers before switching the amps on and
> off because sometimes I get a huge noise out of the
> speakers.

What happens if you power the amp down with the input cables pulled?

From: Justice on
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:23:14 GMT, "Andy" <andy_c(a)btinternet.com>
wrote:

>I've been using my EP2500 for a while now and I have to disconnect the
>speakers before switching the amps on and off because sometimes I get a huge
>noise out of the speakers.
>
>Has anyone else had this problem with this amp?
>
>Any ideas on what's going on here?

we have 2 2500's and 1 1500, and i don't recall any of them doing
this. I have heard other amps do it though.
From: Geezer Sonics on
In article <1170687830.924732.123310(a)p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,
"Rupert" <foodsteaks(a)linkline.com> wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2:38 am, <tbmoa...(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:
> > "Andy" <and...(a)btinternet.com> wrote in message

> > > I've been using my EP2500 for a while now and I have to disconnect the
> > > speakers before switching the amps on and off because sometimes I get a
> > > huge noise out of the speakers.
> >
> > > Has anyone else had this problem with this amp?
> >
> > > Any ideas on what's going on here?
> >
> > that is "norma" on this amp
> > my experiance is it not damaaging, just a litte surprising the first time
> > you hear it
> > and yes I disconnet my speakers before shutting anything down
> > I also do not connect the speakers unti everything else is on
> > just a habit I got into decades ago
>
> In this day in age, you shouldn't have to unplug speakers to prevent
> amp power on/off damage. I can understand maybe "back in the day" but
> when doing big gigs where you may have 20 to 100 amps to work with,
> pulling speaker cables to power cycle amps is out of the question.
> None of the amps I've worked with in nearly 20 years has exhibited any
> substantial pop when the speaker protection relays kick on or off.
>

> On Feb 5, 5:36 am, "Ron" <r...(a)NOSPAM88.com> wrote:
> > You would have thought that would have been mentioned at some point in the
> > last 300 messages about this amp.
> >
> > What about those people doing a permanent install? Are they supposed to
> > unplug their speakers each time they power up/down?
> >
> > Is there some other solution or work around for this?
>
> How about buying an amp that has a proper power on/off mute circuit?
> If there's potential for driver damage (I haven't heard this unit
> powered up yet) it would be worth it IMO to spend more and get
> something that's not going to cause such issues.

It should be noted that the "Behringer Rules" crowd will give them a
pass for this, while a power related transient from the Drive Rack PA is
an opportunity to slam dBx.

Whatever.....
From: Bob Howes on

"Geezer Sonics" <geeze(a)deafguy.com> wrote in message

> It should be noted that the "Behringer Rules" crowd will give them a
> pass for this, while a power related transient from the Drive Rack PA is
> an opportunity to slam dBx.
>
> Whatever.....

Yup, and for a simple reason.

While there's a slight thump from the Behringers I use, it's no worse than
some of the other, more expensive, amps I also have experience of and has
certainly never been enough to worry any speaker drivers.

The DRPA, on the other hand, is almost guaranteed to blow drivers when it
loses power. This is a pretty big difference in my mind.

Bob

From: Ron(UK) on
Bob Howes wrote:
> "Geezer Sonics" <geeze(a)deafguy.com> wrote in message
>> It should be noted that the "Behringer Rules" crowd will give them a
>> pass for this, while a power related transient from the Drive Rack PA is
>> an opportunity to slam dBx.
>>
>> Whatever.....
>
> Yup, and for a simple reason.
>
> While there's a slight thump from the Behringers I use, it's no worse than
> some of the other, more expensive, amps I also have experience of and has
> certainly never been enough to worry any speaker drivers.
>
> The DRPA, on the other hand, is almost guaranteed to blow drivers when it
> loses power. This is a pretty big difference in my mind.
>
> Bob

I have two EP2500's and I havent noticed any unusual switchoff noise.
Does the OP turn down the gain before he switches the amp off? I can`t
offhand remember whether the Belringers have mute relays, but if they
don`t, he might be hearing the distortion as the power supply voltages
collapse.

Ron(UK)
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7