From: Charles A. Crayne on
On 29 Jul 2006 16:59:34 -0700
rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu wrote:

:I'm pretty sure the Programma
:documentation mentions my name on the interior, if not on the cover.
:After all, I wrote the documentation for it. :-)

Perhaps so, but it appears that you did not any credit for it.

What I have is a 7x9 inch, leatherette three ring binder with "PROGRAMMA
LISA INTERACTIVE ASSEMBLER" printed on the spine, and the same information
arranged somewhat differently on the cover. The sales agreement says that
it was stock # AP138, and retailed for $59.95. The title page claims to be
for version 2.0, however, the TOC shows a 2.2 addendum, beginning on page
93.

I cannot find your name mentioned anywhere, although the addendum does
mention that an internals pamphlet can be obtained from LAZER SYSTEMS,
upon execution of a non-disclosure agreement, and regrets that "source
listings are not available".

-- Chuck
From: rhyde on

Charles A. Crayne wrote:

> Perhaps so, but it appears that you did not any credit for it.

Hmmm, interesting.
I wouldn't be surprised, though. That would be a typical "Mel Norell"
mentality item to claim credit for Programma and ditch the author's
name.

> What I have is a 7x9 inch, leatherette three ring binder with "PROGRAMMA
> LISA INTERACTIVE ASSEMBLER" printed on the spine, and the same information
> arranged somewhat differently on the cover.

Alas, I no longer have a copy, so I can't check this out myself (The
earliest manual I have is the LISA v2.6 manual, published by Lazer
Microsystems).

Nevertheless, I don't think there's any question in anyone's mind,
other than Rene's as to who wrote the product. There are just too many
references to me and Brian Fitzgerald (who took over after version 3.2
or so) on the net to refute the authorship.

> The sales agreement says that
> it was stock # AP138, and retailed for $59.95. The title page claims to be
> for version 2.0, however, the TOC shows a 2.2 addendum, beginning on page
> 93.
>
> I cannot find your name mentioned anywhere, although the addendum does
> mention that an internals pamphlet can be obtained from LAZER SYSTEMS,

Yeah, that would have been my company at the time.

> upon execution of a non-disclosure agreement, and regrets that "source
> listings are not available".

Yes. It was, after all, a commercial product. Back then, you could
actually make a decent enough living selling a product like an
assembler. But the sales of LISA were also what convinced me that
attempting to sell an assembler is a waste of time. Of course, when
even *Microsoft* is unable to sell an assembler, you know that
attempting to commercialize such a product for the general PC
marketplace is a waste of time (of course, assemblers for embedded
systems are still a good enough market that people can sell their
wares). Me? I decided to give the software away and make whatever money
is to be made off the books that go along with the assembler. :-).

Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: rhyde on

Charles A. Crayne wrote:

> I cannot find your name mentioned anywhere, although the addendum does
> mention that an internals pamphlet can be obtained from LAZER SYSTEMS,
> upon execution of a non-disclosure agreement, and regrets that "source
> listings are not available".
>
> -- Chuck

BTW, once Brian was done supporting LISA, the source code was placed on
the net for people to look at, here are some references I've found to
it (note, btw, that I never did possess the source code to the final
versions of LISA -- I just wasn't interested in the product during the
later years):

http://www.apple2.org.za/mirrors/apple2.caltech.edu/8bit/dev/lisa/lisa.readme

From: William J. Leary Jr. on
<rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu> wrote in message
> http://www.apple2.org.za/mirrors/apple2.caltech.edu/8bit/dev/lisa/

From lisadox.txt at the above URL:

DOCUMENTATION FOR LISA V3.2
===========================
copyright 1983, Randall Hyde
copyright 1983, LazerWare
All Rights Reserved

- Bill

From: johnzulu[at]yahoo.com on
The current market for assemblers in the embedded world is not hot
too. PIC and Atmel are providing free assemblers with their product.
Not sure of the rest. From the look of things providing development
tools does not look lucrative anymore. Open source has done good and
bad. Ppl now have to look for other means of making money writing
software. I don't see how companies like metrowerks can make money
when there are alternatives to their product. The venerable GCC. PS2
and other game development software can bring up the figures. But when
it comes to Palm or WinCE I see no market value there. The result of
lack of market kills innovation. At least when the innovation stop,
assembly programmers might regain their value once again!

John