From: Phil Carmody on
rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu writes:
> johnzulu wrote:
> > The current market for assemblers in the embedded world is not hot
> > too. PIC and Atmel are providing free assemblers with their product.
>
> Well, I must admit that I've not looked at embedded assemblers in about
> three years, but back then outfits like 2900 AD were still getting $500
> for their assembler (and $1500 for a C compiler). Largely because they
> had a much better feature set.

For most of Freescale's small processors, the CodeWarrior (now
part of Freescale) C compiler and assembler (in fact the full
development suite) can be free. One only needs to pay if the
image one is generating is to exceed a certain size. (32K IIRC,
but don't quote me on that.)

And for most of their larger processors, there's what is
effectively a freely downloadable linux distribution,
which of course comes with gcc etc.

Phil, speaking as an individual, not as a Freescale employee.
--
The man who is always worrying about whether or not his soul would be
damned generally has a soul that isn't worth a damn.
From: Dragontamer on

rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu wrote:
> johnzulu wrote:
> > Not sure of the rest. From the look of things providing development
> > tools does not look lucrative anymore.
>
> Particularly on the desktop. For example, Borland is getting out of the
> software development tools business. Definitely a casualty of open
> source. I'm sure fools like Rene will tout this as a good thing, but I
> doubt that the OSS crowd would ever create something like Delphi on
> their own. The OSS model is great for copying existing ideas, but
> radical brainstorming to produce something like VB or Delphi just
> doesn't work well in the OSS model.

I'd have to disagree with you on this one. OSS do have innovative
ideas.

The Abiword project for example, is beginning to work on AbiCollab,
which would be a plugin that allows users across the web to edit the
same document in realtime.

http://www.abisource.com/~uwog/abiword/abicollab.htm

As for something like VB or Delphi... I dunno much on Delphi, but
GNUstep seems to be making strides in the direction of VB, somewhat
copying Cocoa and NextSTEP... but still goes along in that direction.

http://www.gnustep.org/experience/DevelopmentDemonstration.html

(I especially like how textboxes are connected to code by
click-and-drag)

Debian's apt system is great, as is FreeBSD's port system. Truely
innovative to just do "aptitude upgrade", and all the programs
are upgraded together, to resolve dependancies and so forth.
(supposedly FreeBSD's port system is better... but I haven't used
it yet)

Fasm's "Virtual" keyword is another innovative little feature developed
on an OSS product.

There is certainly innovation in OSS products. Do you not think your
HLA is somewhat innovative? :-p

But anyway, there are ways to keep OSS and still make a business model.
Cedega, which is based on WINE, sells builds their product for a
monthly
subscription, while the code remains free on their CVS server. So
its not necessarily mutually exclusive.

--Dragontamer

From: rhyde on

Dragontamer wrote:

> I'd have to disagree with you on this one. OSS do have innovative
> ideas.
>
> The Abiword project for example, is beginning to work on AbiCollab,
> which would be a plugin that allows users across the web to edit the
> same document in realtime.

Can you honestly claim that this idea hasn't been floating around for a
long time and that commercial apps haven't tried this? What I'm
calling "innovation" here are brain-storm ideas resulting in concepts
that have never before been done.

> http://www.abisource.com/~uwog/abiword/abicollab.htm
>
> As for something like VB or Delphi... I dunno much on Delphi, but
> GNUstep seems to be making strides in the direction of VB, somewhat
> copying Cocoa and NextSTEP... but still goes along in that direction.

But that's exactly the point I'm making -- the OSS crowd are *copying*
stuff rather than invented brand-new, never-before-thought-of, kind of
stuff.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there aren't *any* new ideas in
OSS. There are lots of small things that are innovative and come out of
OSS, but the really big stuff, that requires a concerted effort to
develop, generally comes from commercial development.

> Debian's apt system is great, as is FreeBSD's port system. Truely
> innovative to just do "aptitude upgrade", and all the programs
> are upgraded together, to resolve dependancies and so forth.
> (supposedly FreeBSD's port system is better... but I haven't used
> it yet)

Having spent considerable time installing FreeBSD over and over again,
I'm not real impressed by FreeBSD's "ports" that forces me to swap CDs
a couple of dozen times because it installs things in the order *it*
wants to, rather than their order on the CDROMs. Forgive me for not
being impressed.

> Fasm's "Virtual" keyword is another innovative little feature developed
> on an OSS product.

First of all, I'm not entirely sure it's as innovative as you think. I
dimly recall a feature like this in IBM's mainframe assemblers. But the
point is irrelevant. I'm not talking about new features in a
traditional product. I'm talking about completely new ways of solving
problems. Delphi, for example, isn't just Pascal with a few new
features. It truly represents a new programming paradigm over previous
languages (well, except for VB, of course).

> There is certainly innovation in OSS products. Do you not think your
> HLA is somewhat innovative? :-p

Not like Delphi. HLA is more of a collection of existing good ideas all
put into one package. Most of the "innovations" in the product are like
"virtual" in FASM. Small ideas that are cool in conjunction with the
other features, but aren't much of a standalone innovation. About the
only thing in HLA I know of that I've never before seen are the
context-free macro facilities. The parts of HLA that make it good for
education were well-established ideas that predated HLA -- using
HLL-like control structures (MASM & TASM), having a decent and
substatial library (The C stdlib, the UCR stdlib for 80x86 assembly
programmers), supporting reasonable data types (MASM & TASM), and
having a good compile-time language (IBM's HLAsm and MASM/TASM). HLA
is not a radical shift in the way you would do assembly language
programming. It's just a culmination of good ideas all packaged
together.

> But anyway, there are ways to keep OSS and still make a business model.
> Cedega, which is based on WINE, sells builds their product for a
> monthly
> subscription, while the code remains free on their CVS server. So
> its not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Well, we were actually talking about how OSS is killing commercial
companies that have invested tons of money in software R&D. The problem
with the OSS model is that OSS developers work on what they *feel* like
working on. There is no incentive, like a paycheck, to get them to work
on stuff that wouldn't be their first choice and to keep them working
on a (large) project when it ceases to be interesting. Even companies
like IBM, which has invested a *ton* of money in OSS, probably wrote it
all off as a marketing expense rather than a development expense.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: rhyde on

Phil Carmody wrote:

> A Randy by name can be found in:
>
> Lisa Programming Language Pages 1-5.pdf
>
> No portion of Lisa, its documentation or accompanying diskette may
> be reproduced in any form without the express written permission of
> the publishers, "On-Line Systems", and the author, "Randy Hyde".

Well, that would be the On-Line Systems version of the product (they
picked it up after Programma went under). I don't doubt that Programma
didn't list me as the author. I seem to recall they liked the idea of
everything thinking they'd made it themselves (like their Apple PIE
editor). Then again, it could have just been an oversight.

It doesn't really matter, though. Except in Rene's mind, I don't think
that there is any question at this point who the author of that product
was.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: rhyde on

Betov wrote:

> > How many assemblers have *you* sold?
> > You can't even *give* your stuff away for free. At least people have
> > been willing to *pay* for my stuff. That speaks volumes, dude.
>
> Agrea, clown: There are indeed so many idiot who seem
> to really believe that you are an Assembly Programmer,
> that i have to address you my congratulations for your
> competency in matter of Propaganda.

And as Julienne says, you have a lot to learn in that department. Once
again, many thanks for all the people you've pushed my way by your
abusive nature.

> By the way, did you notice that, dispiting your insane
> noises, there was nobody around for taking the risk of
> saying that he had used Your Lisa toy... and that old
> timers seem to not even have heard of it?

No, I didn't notice that at all. I did notice someone around here who
said that they *had* used the product, though. And it certainly wasn't
the first time someone has acknowledged using LISA in this newsgroup.

And as for your "old-timers", of whom do you speak? You do realize that
that product was out before many of the long-time posters around here
were even *born*? And, of course, a few of the "old-timers" around
here were nailing houses together at the time LISA was out and had no
clue about the impending PC revolution. :-)

> One another question of interrest would be to ask about
> how many of the victims who have _payed_ for reading
> your bullshits, would have really read them down to the
> end, and, eventually, if they would have learned some
> real Assembly concepts, whereas they could have get
> innoumerous real informative materials for free, all
> over the Net for zero bucks.

I'm sorry, that sentence doesn't parse. You might try calming down a
bit and rewriting it. If you're saying that people are upset because
they bought AoA and then discovered it could be had on-line, well, I've
never met too many people like that. I do, however, know of many people
who started reading it on-line and then decided they'd rather have a
hard copy and went out and bought it. Now I must admit that I'm as
surprised as you by this. When No Starch Press first approached me
about publishing AoA, I flat out told them that I didn't believe the
book would sell well because it was available for free on-line. The
publisher assured me that he could sell the book and he was quite
right. Indeed, having it available free on line has probably helped
sales more than hurt them.

> Well... anyway, _yes_, it "speaks volumes"... as says
> Master Pdf riding a bicycle:
>
> "Hey! M'a! Look! I am an Teacher!"

And your point?
Who have *you* taught, btw?

> "Hey! M'a! Look! I am published!"

And your point?
And what have you gotten published, might I ask?

> "Hey! M'a! Look!... without the hands!"
>
> "Hey! M'a! Look!... without the teeth!"

Sour grapes don't suit you well, Rene. Grow up. Get past your
jealousies. Do something productive with your life rather than whining
about the successes other people have.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde