From: Betov on
rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu crivait news:1154224649.165935.290460
@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Back then, you could
> actually make a decent enough living selling a product like an
> assembler. But the sales of LISA were also what convinced me that
> attempting to sell an assembler is a waste of time.

:]]]]]

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Phil Carmody on
"Charles A. Crayne" <ccrayne(a)crayne.org> writes:
> On 29 Jul 2006 12:14:00 -0700
> rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu wrote:
>
> :It was first released in 1979 by Programma International.
>
> OH, that LISA! I got a complimentary copy of it from Programma, many years
> ago, and pack rat that I am, I still have it. However, until now, I never
> connected it with you, because your name does not appear in association
> with it -- all of the copyright notices being in the name of Programma
> International, Inc.
>
> Not that I have any reason to doubt your word, but, unfortunately, neither
> can I attest to it.

A Randy by name can be found in:

Lisa Programming Language Pages 1-5.pdf
<<<

LISA

A PROFESSIONAL ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT
SYSTEM FOR APPLE COMPUTERS

IMPORTANT COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

No portion of Lisa, its documentation or accompanying diskette may
be reproduced in any form without the express written permission of
the publishers, "On-Line Systems", and the author, "Randy Hyde".

Which was 1 click away from one of the links posted a few days back.
I forget which one, but it should be obvious.

Phil
--
The man who is always worrying about whether or not his soul would be
damned generally has a soul that isn't worth a damn.
From: rhyde on

johnzulu wrote:
> The current market for assemblers in the embedded world is not hot
> too. PIC and Atmel are providing free assemblers with their product.

Well, I must admit that I've not looked at embedded assemblers in about
three years, but back then outfits like 2900 AD were still getting $500
for their assembler (and $1500 for a C compiler). Largely because they
had a much better feature set.

> Not sure of the rest. From the look of things providing development
> tools does not look lucrative anymore.

Particularly on the desktop. For example, Borland is getting out of the
software development tools business. Definitely a casualty of open
source. I'm sure fools like Rene will tout this as a good thing, but I
doubt that the OSS crowd would ever create something like Delphi on
their own. The OSS model is great for copying existing ideas, but
radical brainstorming to produce something like VB or Delphi just
doesn't work well in the OSS model.

> Open source has done good and
> bad. Ppl now have to look for other means of making money writing
> software. I don't see how companies like metrowerks can make money

Especially as they're basically gone at this point :-)

> when there are alternatives to their product. The venerable GCC.

GCC doesn't scale down to small microprocessors well. That's why
outfits can still get $1,500 for a C compiler for an 8051.

> PS2
> and other game development software can bring up the figures. But when
> it comes to Palm or WinCE I see no market value there. The result of
> lack of market kills innovation.

I agree 100%. As I said earlier, we'd never see something like VB or
Delphi created by the OSS crowd. People work on the OSS stuff mainly
for reasons of ego and the risk of developing something radical like
Delphi is too great (and the development cycle too long) for most egos.

> At least when the innovation stop,
> assembly programmers might regain their value once again!

I doubt it. More likely what we'll see is the proliferation of
languages like Perl or Python that are small enough projects for a
single person to write (initially anyway).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: rhyde on

Betov wrote:
> rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu écrivait news:1154224649.165935.290460
> @i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Back then, you could
> > actually make a decent enough living selling a product like an
> > assembler. But the sales of LISA were also what convinced me that
> > attempting to sell an assembler is a waste of time.
>
> :]]]]]
>
> Betov.

How many assemblers have *you* sold?
You can't even *give* your stuff away for free. At least people have
been willing to *pay* for my stuff. That speaks volumes, dude.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: Betov on
rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu crivait news:1154276331.568507.318950
@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> How many assemblers have *you* sold?
> You can't even *give* your stuff away for free. At least people have
> been willing to *pay* for my stuff. That speaks volumes, dude.

Agrea, clown: There are indeed so many idiot who seem
to really believe that you are an Assembly Programmer,
that i have to address you my congratulations for your
competency in matter of Propaganda.

By the way, did you notice that, dispiting your insane
noises, there was nobody around for taking the risk of
saying that he had used Your Lisa toy... and that old
timers seem to not even have heard of it?

One another question of interrest would be to ask about
how many of the victims who have _payed_ for reading
your bullshits, would have really read them down to the
end, and, eventually, if they would have learned some
real Assembly concepts, whereas they could have get
innoumerous real informative materials for free, all
over the Net for zero bucks.

Well... anyway, _yes_, it "speaks volumes"... as says
Master Pdf riding a bicycle:

"Hey! M'a! Look! I am an Teacher!"

"Hey! M'a! Look! I am published!"

"Hey! M'a! Look!... without the hands!"