From: Leythos on
In article <0qGdnVd6od-AjSPWnZ2dnUVZ8nWdnZ2d(a)bt.com>,
BoaterDave(a)hotmail.co.uk says...
> Everyone has a different view! Here's an example:
>
> <hpkl6h$m5m$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>
>
> There, SeaNymph said ........
>
> "This is usenet. I am free to respond whenever and in whatever manner I
> choose. My choosing to inject my comments is no different than you
> continuing in a conversation you have been asked to vacate."

Try from an authority instead of some kid that believes in chaos:

http://www.newsdemon.com/usenet_term_off-topic.php

"
Off-Topic Newsgroup Posts

Posting something to a newsgroup that does not fit the accepted topic of
the group or that belongs in another group altogether. It is important
to remember, that when using Usenet, that the segregating of groups that
Usenet newsgroups are created in are unique to subject matters.
Therefore, off-topic Usenet newsgroup postings can and often are
considered to be a method of spam as it saturates the topic of the
newsgroup to something that is irrelevant. It is strongly advised to
find the particular groups that is generally specific to the matter in
which you are posting to. If you are unsure, please be sure to ask
questions in your first posting to the newsgroup.
"

http://www.usenet.net/glossary.html

"
Off Topic:

A post in a Usenet newsgroup which does not meet the guidelines of that
newsgroups charter. For example, if you were posting your favorite
recipes in alt.cars your post would be off topic.
"

Troll (Internet)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,
extraneous, or *** off-topic *** messages in an online community, such
as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary
intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or of
otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.
"

Trust yourself.
From: Jenn on
"Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message
> In article <0qGdnVd6od-AjSPWnZ2dnUVZ8nWdnZ2d(a)bt.com>,
> BoaterDave(a)hotmail.co.uk says...
>> Everyone has a different view! Here's an example:
>>
>> <hpkl6h$m5m$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>
>>
>> There, SeaNymph said ........
>>
>> "This is usenet. I am free to respond whenever and in whatever manner I
>> choose. My choosing to inject my comments is no different than you
>> continuing in a conversation you have been asked to vacate."
>>

> Try from an authority instead of some kid that believes in chaos:
>
> http://www.newsdemon.com/usenet_term_off-topic.php
>
> "
> Off-Topic Newsgroup Posts
>
> Posting something to a newsgroup that does not fit the accepted topic of
> the group or that belongs in another group altogether. It is important
> to remember, that when using Usenet, that the segregating of groups that
> Usenet newsgroups are created in are unique to subject matters.
> Therefore, off-topic Usenet newsgroup postings can and often are
> considered to be a method of spam as it saturates the topic of the
> newsgroup to something that is irrelevant. It is strongly advised to
> find the particular groups that is generally specific to the matter in
> which you are posting to. If you are unsure, please be sure to ask
> questions in your first posting to the newsgroup.
> "
>
> http://www.usenet.net/glossary.html
>
> "
> Off Topic:
>
> A post in a Usenet newsgroup which does not meet the guidelines of that
> newsgroups charter. For example, if you were posting your favorite
> recipes in alt.cars your post would be off topic.
> "
>
> Troll (Internet)
> From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
>
> "In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,
> extraneous, or *** off-topic *** messages in an online community, such
> as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary
> intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or of
> otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.
> "

You forgot this USAGE information of the word Internet Troll:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
Application of the term troll is highly subjective. Some readers may
characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a
legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. The term
is often used as an ad hominem strategy to discredit an opposing position by
attacking its proponent.
--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

From: Leythos on
In article <hpl4v5$taj$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
me(a)nowhere.whocareswhatthisemailisanyway says...

> "Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message
> > In article <0qGdnVd6od-AjSPWnZ2dnUVZ8nWdnZ2d(a)bt.com>,
> > BoaterDave(a)hotmail.co.uk says...
> >> Everyone has a different view! Here's an example:
> >>
> >> <hpkl6h$m5m$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>
> >>
> >> There, SeaNymph said ........
> >>
> >> "This is usenet. I am free to respond whenever and in whatever manner I
> >> choose. My choosing to inject my comments is no different than you
> >> continuing in a conversation you have been asked to vacate."
> >>

> > Try from an authority instead of some kid that believes in chaos:
> >
> > http://www.newsdemon.com/usenet_term_off-topic.php
> >
> > "
> > Off-Topic Newsgroup Posts
> >
> > Posting something to a newsgroup that does not fit the accepted topic of
> > the group or that belongs in another group altogether. It is important
> > to remember, that when using Usenet, that the segregating of groups that
> > Usenet newsgroups are created in are unique to subject matters.
> > Therefore, off-topic Usenet newsgroup postings can and often are
> > considered to be a method of spam as it saturates the topic of the
> > newsgroup to something that is irrelevant. It is strongly advised to
> > find the particular groups that is generally specific to the matter in
> > which you are posting to. If you are unsure, please be sure to ask
> > questions in your first posting to the newsgroup.
> > "
> >
> > http://www.usenet.net/glossary.html
> >
> > "
> > Off Topic:
> >
> > A post in a Usenet newsgroup which does not meet the guidelines of that
> > newsgroups charter. For example, if you were posting your favorite
> > recipes in alt.cars your post would be off topic.
> > "
> >
> > Troll (Internet)
> > From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
> >
> > "In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,
> > extraneous, or *** off-topic *** messages in an online community, such
> > as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary
> > intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or of
> > otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.
> > "
> >

> You forgot this USAGE information of the word Internet Troll:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
> Application of the term troll is highly subjective. Some readers may
> characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a
> legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. The term
> is often used as an ad hominem strategy to discredit an opposing position by
> attacking its proponent.

How does that change the off-topic nature of his continued posting?

Trust yourself.
From: Jenn on
> In article <hpl4v5$taj$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> me(a)nowhere.whocareswhatthisemailisanyway says...

>> > Troll (Internet)
>> > From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
>> >
>> > "In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,
>> > extraneous, or *** off-topic *** messages in an online community, such
>> > as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary
>> > intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or of
>> > otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.
>> > "
>> >

>> You forgot this USAGE information of the word Internet Troll:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
>> Application of the term troll is highly subjective. Some readers may
>> characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as
>> legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. The
>> term
>> is often used as an ad hominem strategy to discredit an opposing position
>> by
>> attacking its proponent.

> How does that change the off-topic nature of his continued posting?

You used the wikipedia definition of Intenet troll to back up your premise
about off-topic posts... that definition includes the idea that calling
anyone a troll would also apply the definition to their bent towards posting
off-topic posts...

Meaning.. the application of the term troll ... would include the part of
off-topic posts ... would also be highly subjective and could be taken just
as equally by others as an on-topic post.
--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

From: Leythos on
In article <hpl6ef$2n1$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
me(a)nowhere.whocareswhatthisemailisanyway says...
> You used the wikipedia definition of Intenet troll to back up your premise
> about off-topic posts... that definition includes the idea that calling
> anyone a troll would also apply the definition to their bent towards posting
> off-topic posts...
>
> Meaning.. the application of the term troll ... would include the part of
> off-topic posts ... would also be highly subjective and could be taken just
> as equally by others as an on-topic post.

To do as you suggest you would have to ignore the first parts that I
posted, defining what is OFF-TOPIC based on the groups name/topic.

Thanks for showing, based on your last line, that his posts follow the
definition of "off-topic" as well as his own suggestion that chaos is
permitted because he wants it and doesn't care about the standards or
rules.

Trust yourself.