From: ~BD~ on

"Peter Foldes" <maci252211(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey Dave
>
> Someone told me that you use a Cray X6 on your boat to navigate the
> waters
>
> --
> Peter

Do you believe *everything* you are told, Peter?

I actually use the Nicholson's Guides, details here :-

http://www.meridianmapsonline.co.uk/category_nicholsons_waterways_guides_899.aspx

Perhaps you had something else in mind. Did you?

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Peter Foldes" <maci252211(a)hotmail.com>

| Hey Dave

| Someone told me that you use a Cray X6 on your boat to navigate the waters

My brother used a Cray supercomputer when he worked for NASA and was in the project for
creating the space station that is now in orbit.

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on
"~BD~" <BoaterDave.(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Peter Foldes" <maci252211(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hey Dave
>>
>> Someone told me that you use a Cray X6 on your boat to navigate the
>> waters
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>

> Do you believe *everything* you are told, Peter?
>
> I actually use the Nicholson's Guides, details here :-
>
> http://www.meridianmapsonline.co.uk/category_nicholsons_waterways_guides_899.aspx
>
> Perhaps you had something else in mind. Did you?

Maybe he's thinking of the Cray XE6 that's running the state-of-the-art
fishfinding software for your souped-up Garmin sonar transducer?

....only detecting crayfish is a known problem with this model. :o)

From: ~BD~ on

"Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> "~BD~" <.BoaterDave(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in news:hv89gk$9mf$1
> @news.eternal-september.org:
>
>> "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
>> %20and%20Alfredo.txt
>>>
>>> Is there a question?
>>
>> I've recently attended a boating rally. One of my fellow boaters is a
>> 'guru' who works for IBM here in the UK. I asked him a simple
> question:-
>>
>> Can viruses/malware reside inside a computer somewhere other than on
> the
>> hard disk?
>>
>> His immediate answer was ......... "Yes. In the BIOS".
>
> You should have asked him to provide even one actual virus name of one
> that actually does that, then.

You are correct. Timing was wrong though.

It's also possibe that he would not have provided information thought to
best kept under wraps.

>> My question to you, FTR, is why do folk not discuss this in the
>> relevant Usenet groups?
>
> For the most part, it's not much for discussion.

Really? It seems to have produced a reasonable length thread! ;-)

> BIOS isn't universal,
> one size doesn't fit all. In order to craft a virus to infect one,
> would
> be very specifc to that one particular BIOS firmware. IE: not worth
> the
> hassle.

Worth it? Have you *any* idea how much money is stolen by Cybercrime
nowadays?!!!

Explore here: http://www.ic3.gov/media/annualreports.aspx

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on
"~BD~" <BoaterDave.(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

[...]

> Once an attacker has admin rights, the rootkit could be flashed onto
> the BIOS and would remain effective even if the original virus on the
> hard disk were removed. Even a complete format wouldn't rid the system
> of the virus.

It *would* rid the system of the virus. What it would *not* do is remove
all aspects of the so-called rootkit. The firmware can still be
considered "infected", but *not* by a virus (unless that code itself is
self-replicative).

> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/bios-virus-rootkit-security-backdoor,7400.html

[...]