From: gufus on
Hello, FromTheRafters!

You wrote on Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:47:06 -0400:

FL>> EZ-Disk's EZ-BIOS will do this quite easily, EZ-BIOS is a BIOS
FL>> extension,

F> This is a disk overlay, not quite the same thing as patching the actual
F> BIOS firmware from software.

Ah.. ..

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: Dustin Cook on
"~BD~" <.BoaterDave(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in news:hv8kjo$msf$1(a)news.eternal-
september.org:

> "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
>> He may not understand what including the term "viruses" has done to
>> your question. Can malware reside.... ? Yes.
>
> Semantics, perhaps?
>
>>> My question to you, FTR, is why do folk not discuss this in the
>>> relevant Usenet groups?
>>
>> Because it spreads fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Just because it is
>> *possible* to do, doesn't mean it is something that the average user
>> need worry about. The kind of folks that do need to worry about such
>> things are already aware of the flashable firmware vectors.
>

> Hmmm! No doubt you will review the response made by Peter Foldes.
>
> "Average users" are *not* reading groups such as this (IMO!)
>
> Thank you for agreeing (at long last!) FTR, that the BIOS *can* be
> infected!

Corrupted; actually. Infected, highly unlikely.

--
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject
-Winston Churchill

From: Dustin Cook on
"~BD~" <.BoaterDave(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in news:hv8r6d$519$1(a)news.eternal-
september.org:

>> In practice -- it isn't and that why *we* do NOT see this!
>>
>> BD - FUD master.
>>

> @ David H Lipman
>
> In real life, my pal from IBM has said that he HAS seen this!

Provide the virus name, please.

> Tell me again who the *we* is to which you allude.
>
> Why should I believe you - a cyber-adviser - as against a real life
> guru?

hahaha. I think your guru is messing with you.

From: Dustin Cook on
stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca (gufus) wrote in

> Hi David,
>
> 15 Jun 10, David H. Lipman writes to All:
>
> > In practice -- it isn't and that why we do NOT see this!
>
> I would think the flashable vector code would have to be installed
> first, before the PC is powered up. Yes/no?

No.. You can reflash live in windows; so the machine can already be powered
up. It has to be, in fact.

However, with that said, once you reboot, if the flash was bad; your goose
is cooked.

From: gufus on
Hi FromTheRafters,

15 Jun 10, FromTheRafters writes to Heather:

>>> Is there a question?
>>
>> Is there an answer??

> Love is the answer.

Or something to pickup the oil.. (DARN BP)
--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at http://www.gypsy-designs.com
mailto:info(a)gypsy-designs.com
Gypsy Designs Fax: (403) 242-3221

.... On a clear disk you can seek forever.