From: gufus on
Hello, Dustin!

You wrote on Tue, 15 Jun 2010 23:14:12 GMT:

FL>> I would think the flashable vector code would have to be installed
FL>> first, before the PC is powered up. Yes/no?
DC>
DC> No.. You can reflash live in windows; so the machine can already be
DC> powered up. It has to be, in fact.
DC>
DC> However, with that said, once you reboot, if the flash was bad; your
DC> goose is cooked.

I like my goose well done PLEASE!
--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "gufus" <stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca>

| Hi FromTheRafters,

>>> Is there an answer??

>> Love is the answer.

| Or something to pickup the oil.. (DARN BP)

Boycott the BP phuckers !

I used to be a steady customer. Ha... No longer even a customer.
{ BTW: I rarely EVER buy Exxon-Mobil either to this day }

--
Dave

From: gufus on
Hello, David!

You wrote on Tue, 15 Jun 2010 19:41:56 -0400:

FL>> Or something to pickup the oil.. (DARN BP)
DHL>
DHL> Boycott the BP phuckers !

Defiantly /BAD/ news hu.. AGREED! Boycott BP

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: Peter Foldes on
> In real life, my pal from IBM has said that he HAS seen this!
>
> Tell me again who the *we* is to which you allude.
>
> Why should I believe you - a cyber-adviser - as against a real life guru?

If Your Guru friend claims that the Bios can be infected with a virus then I am King
of England. The Bios cannot get infected with a virus. Period
David stop beating a dead horse for the last 2 years and get it through that hard
head of yours that you are a cretin and an ignorant fool when it comes to computers

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

From: FromTheRafters on
"gufus" <stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hello, FromTheRafters!
>
> You wrote on Tue, 15 Jun 2010 18:16:56 -0400:
>
> F> At long last? I've been saying that all along. Where I disagree is
> when
> F> you suggest a user reflash the firmware because of a banking
> trojan.
> F> Just because it is possible, doesn't mean it is happening. Besides,
> if
>
> If I understand this thread correctly, the code has to be flashed to
> the BIOS /first/ via a floppy or CD?
>
> Or could the BIOS code be flashed via malware?

Yes, that is the implication. CIH demonstrated this fact by corrupting
the BIOS firmware of vulnerable motherboards.

The possibility exists that something useful from an attackers point of
view can be done with this additional storage area. Any attack of this
sort would be very hardware specific, and not too likely to become a
mobile code malware problem.