From: David H. Lipman on
From: "dwn" <ddwnns(a)nonet.net>

| On Thu, 20 May 2010 11:09:02 GMT, sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye) wrote:

>>"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>>>If you use Wireless and it is NOT secured and you are the victim of WarDriving,
>>> you really
>>>are not that innocent as you are responsible for any/all activity on your
>>> subscribed IP.

>>I'm not convinced of that line of reasoning at all. If it were the case,
>>companies such as McDonald's and Starbucks wouldn't have open wi-fi hotspots
>>as part of their regular business plan.

| It is not likely someone hijack my wireless ADSL. There are no wireless network
| within range from my computer, none since I moved into the neighborhood and it
| took more than thee weeks for my ISP to find a "PORT" for me.

What do you mean...
"There are no wireless network within range from my computer..."

If you you are connected to DSL and have a DSL Modem+wireless router and the wireless has
not ben secured, there does have to be a wireless network within range from your computer.

Just someone with a notebook within range. It isn't too hard.

Questions:
Are you brodcasting your SSID ?
Are you using WPA2 ?
Are you using AES encryption or TKIP or TKIP and AES ?
Are you using a strong pre-shared ASCII key greater than 10 digits ?
Are the above questions understood by you ?

BTW: You never respondec to your OTHER post. In fact, you really have provided much
feedback to key-in the problem.

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

| Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>It's really not designed to run in safe mode; You should be using it in
>>normal mode windows; so that windows loads all the drivers and provides all
>>of the registry keys which are not necessarily online while in safe mode.

| I have followed the Malwarebytes forums for quite some time and have never
| seen anything from anyone at Malwarebytes telling people not to use it in safe
| mode. I welcome anybody who works for MBAM to write me and tell me that what
| I'm doing in ineffective or violates any intended purpose of the software.

| What makes you think that MBAM will scan differently in safe mode than in
| normal mode? The files that make up the registry haven't changed. The
| drivers haven't changed.

| Meanwhile, I have found that MBAM works much better and faster in safe mode
| when particularly nasty malware has taken over a machine simply because
| Windows is not loading the extra drivers, etc., nor is bogged down by
| excessive CPU use.

Dustin's response is spot-on. He and I have "insider" knowledge of the utility.

--
Dave

From: Dustin Cook on
sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye) wrote in

> "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>>Some of the detection algorithms might involve having active malware
>>to look at. Safe mode might not have loaded some aspects of the
>>malware, so there would be no activity to observe. I *have* seen
>>recommendations to run it in safe mode and *then* in normal mode.
>
> My impression is that MBAM does not look at activity but at pieces of
> code. I have a CD with a bunch of hacking tools on it which I use in
> my business. If I happen to have the CD in a machine when I'm doing a
> MBAM scan, it'll see those tools as malware, even though they're not
> active.

MBAM looks at a variety of things; I can't get into specifics due to non-
disclosure... but code is only one of them.

>>....and no, I'm not employed by Malwarebytes and am looking forward to
>>you getting your response from a representative. Please share with us
>>whatever information they allow you to.
>
> Will do.

You already did tho, from a former employee who was a researcher. AFAIK,
The engine hasn't changed so the normal mode scan methodology still
stands. Your ehh, personal opinions aside.

--
Sometimes, I can't tell if life is passing me by? Or trying to run me
over!
From: FromTheRafters on
"dwn" <ddwnns(a)nonet.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 May 2010 20:52:46 -0400, "FromTheRafters"
> <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>
> wrote:
>
>>The reason I asked is because spamming from your IP address is not the
>>same thing as spamming from your computer. Someone could possibly have
>>been using your wireless access point to send spam from *their*
>>computer
>>using your IP address. Your detections seem to be for inactive
>>malware -
>>someones post of a script snippet. To get un-banned you will have to
>>contact the entities that banned you. Usually, their web pages tell
>>you
>>how to do this.
>>
>>That said, it is *still* a good idea to run some antimalware scanners
>>be more confident that your machine is clean.
>>

> Ran the following anti virus:
> Avest full scan - about 2 hrs.
> MS Essential full scan - more than 4 hrs
> Stinger 1001896 - (I stopped it after 45 minute)
>
> The next day: (with both Avest and MS Essential off).
> First Malwarebytes - about 45 minutes.
> Follow by, SuperAntiSpyware - about 29 minutes

That sounds pretty thorough.

> Found nothing.

I suspected nothing would be found. Do you know how to set up a
wireless access point for security? My cable company supplied a wireless
modem for me to set up, and made no mention of the fact that it was set
with "user" as a username and "admin" as a password. In the setup I
could select an encryption method and change from the default password
for security.

> Earlier, I received so many undelivered mails,
> I did not take the time to find out who is blocking my email.
> I will read each one carefully and contact them. I contact Surewest,
> (paid email server) and wildblueworld administrator neither replied.

Anyway, it is they that you will have to deal with. You tell them what
you have done to correct the problem.

> BTW, I am in a different time zone.

So am I.

:o)

From: dwn on
On Thu, 20 May 2010 22:51:22 -0400, "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>
wrote:

> I suspected nothing would be found. Do you know how to set up a
>wireless access point for security? My cable company supplied a wireless
>modem for me to set up, and made no mention of the fact that it was set
>with "user" as a username and "admin" as a password. In the setup I
>could select an encryption method and change from the default password
>for security.

I dare not make any changes for now. Nope, my ISP did all the settings on site.
It's secure enuff for now. No wireless network in the neighborhood. I had too
much problems getting a broadband here, so for now I have to assume
I am safe.

>> Earlier, I received so many undelivered mails,
>> I did not take the time to find out who is blocking my email.
>> I will read each one carefully and contact them. I contact Surewest,
>> (paid email server) and wildblueworld administrator neither replied.
>
>Anyway, it is they that you will have to deal with. You tell them what
>you have done to correct the problem.

I will login, chat with Surewest at office hour time zone, if they can
unblock me and maybe get others to do the same. I just download and
have not install their free Kaspersky security software. I don't think it will
be any better than Avest. I will decided after I chat with them, if I ever have
the chance :-) thanks.