From: dwn on
On Fri, 21 May 2010 06:33:24 -0400, "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>
wrote:

>> I will login, chat with Surewest at office hour time zone, if they can
>> unblock me and maybe get others to do the same. I just download and
>> have not install their free Kaspersky security software. I don't think
>> it will
>> be any better than Avest. I will decided after I chat with them, if I
>> ever have
>> the chance :-) thanks.
>
>Well then, good luck with getting back to normal.

Thanks, I need it :-)

From: dwn on
On Fri, 21 May 2010 09:57:19 GMT, sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye) wrote:

>ddwnns(a)nonet.net wrote:
>
>>What do you mean "a zombie"? I am pretty sure I cleaned my computer other than
>>clean installing XP PRO after format the HD. I called my ISP and I waiting for
>>their finding.
>
>If your computer is clean then it's likely someone using wireless on your
>router. As I said in another post, go to the router's web page and take a
>look around. You should see your computer listed, and you might see others.
>
>Regardless, turn on the encryption on your router!

OK Thanks :-)

From: dwn on
On Fri, 21 May 2010 09:55:12 GMT, sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye) wrote:

>Check the web page for your router, 192.168.1.1 or whatever it is. Look under
>the wireless section or the DHCP section depending on the kind of web page
>your router presents, and see if there are other computers hooked up that you
>don't know about.

Can you explain clearer, do you mean my IP address and where?
A step by step will help me check to see...

>The fact that it took your ISP forever to hook you up may mean that others
>have tried and given up and may be using your router instead.
>
>Best thing to do is to turn on the encryption. I usually recommend using a
>phone number as the key because it's easy to remember and hard for others to
>guess.

In the States, my Router wireless always on WEP encryption and I have not the
sligest idea how this ADSL wireless works. Only one wire in (tel land line) and
wireless to the other computer.

Thanks

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
dwn wrote:

> Will format and clean install XP Pro, ...

Make absolutely sure you have its firewall turned on and active before
you ever connect it to the router. If you don't, you have about - on the
average - about 12 minutes before it is infected with something. That's
a much shorter time than it would take you to go online and get the
gazillionbytes of patches and updates you will need.

<http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/12-minutes-pc-infection-help-154858541.html>
<http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2005/07/pr_uk_midyearroundup2005.html>
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/19/infected_in20_minutes/>

BTW, it is "Avast", not "Avest."

--
-bts
From: dwn on
On Fri, 21 May 2010 08:12:44 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote:

>dwn wrote:
>
>> Will format and clean install XP Pro, ...
>
>Make absolutely sure you have its firewall turned on and active before
>you ever connect it to the router. If you don't, you have about - on the
>average - about 12 minutes before it is infected with something. That's
>a much shorter time than it would take you to go online and get the
>gazillionbytes of patches and updates you will need.
>
><http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/12-minutes-pc-infection-help-154858541.html>
><http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2005/07/pr_uk_midyearroundup2005.html>
><http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/19/infected_in20_minutes/>
>
>BTW, it is "Avast", not "Avest."