From: The Old Bloke on

Hi XR8 and Acacia

I may have fixed it. Fingers crossed.

When the PC didn't finish its boot, it collected a bucket of errors in
the Event Viewer, and these changed considerably with each failure.

After hours of going through the Event logs, one process always came
up each time there was a boot failure. It was Microsoft Security
Essentials.

I uninstalled, cleaned the registry files again. And the PC booted.
Now it has occasionally booted OK before, so I am still not sure I
have a fix. I reinstalled Microsoft Security Essentials. It's been
two days with many reboots (just to test) and the PC has booted
normally every time.

Fingers crossed.

Many thanks for the feedback!
Regards
Doug
From: Rob on
On 25/03/2010 1:47 PM, Farticus wrote:
> "Acacia"<gm(a)geemall.com> wrote in message
>> Looks similar to the problem detailed by Prevx.
>> http://www.prevx.com/blog/140/Black-Screen-woes-could-affect-millions-on-Windows--Vista-and-XP.html
>> You could try their shell fix.exe. Won't do any harm.
>> http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?GRAB=blackscreenfix
>>
>> "The Old Bloke"<le0pardX(a)Xgmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I am running Win 7 64bit Ultimate
>>>
>>> Starting 2 days ago my PC won't boot properly. It reads the BIOS,
>>> then I get the colourful windows loading logo, and then when I would
>>> get the logon screen, I just get a black screen, with my (wireless)
>>> mouse pointer, but no (wireless) keyboard access. All I can do is to
>>> power down.
>>>
>>> Booting into safe mode is fine. If I then run System restore, and
>>> after a long time I get the message that SR has failed because of my
>>> antivirus, which isn't loaded in safe mode.The message also says that
>>> no files were changed by SR.
>>>
>>> However after every failed SR the PC boots normally, but at the very
>>> next reboot it fails again! Bizarre.
>>>
>>> I have also found that if I go into safe boot, and uninstall *any*
>>> programme, the PC will boot normally, but subsequent reboots fail.
>>> This is again bizarre.
>>>
>>> The event log shows numerous errors, such as "The following boot-start
>>> or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
>>> discache
>>> MpFilter
>>> SaibVdAd64
>>> spldr
>>> vpcvmm
>>> Wanarpv6"
>>>
>>> However on each failure the errors vary a lot.
>>>
>>> After a failure to boot, several reboot tries later the PC *may*
>>> occasionally boot.
>>>
>>> Before the problem developed I had not installed any new devices,
>>> drivers or apps, but maybe some auto updates could have happened.
>>>
>>> I have extensively checked for viruses, malware, etc.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Doug
>>
> I had similar/same problem a few weeks ago. Got me pulling out whats left of
> my hair.
> The damn thing would boot up to the "Welcome" screen then go blank, and stop
> there.
> Worked OK in safe mode. (Window$ XP).
>
> I reloaded Window$, I downloaded anti this that and whatever else via
> another machine and tried you name it - still nothing!
> Eventually by shear chance, I found the fault - the monitor plug on the back
> of the PC was not engaged fully. It had somehow become partially disslodged.
> Inserting it properly cured the problem - two days of frustration!!

What you did was easy with XP as it allows for a repair install. No
such thing with W7 or Vista for that matter. W7 has a complicated work
around for any problem.

Even though I do like using W7 its not open like XP.

From: atec 77 "atec 77 on
Rob wrote:
> On 25/03/2010 1:47 PM, Farticus wrote:
>> "Acacia"<gm(a)geemall.com> wrote in message
>>> Looks similar to the problem detailed by Prevx.
>>> http://www.prevx.com/blog/140/Black-Screen-woes-could-affect-millions-on-Windows--Vista-and-XP.html
>>>
>>> You could try their shell fix.exe. Won't do any harm.
>>> http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?GRAB=blackscreenfix
>>>
>>> "The Old Bloke"<le0pardX(a)Xgmail.com> wrote in message

>> I had similar/same problem a few weeks ago. Got me pulling out whats
>> left of
>> my hair.
>> The damn thing would boot up to the "Welcome" screen then go blank,
>> and stop
>> there.
>> Worked OK in safe mode. (Window$ XP).
>>
>> I reloaded Window$, I downloaded anti this that and whatever else via
>> another machine and tried you name it - still nothing!
>> Eventually by shear chance, I found the fault - the monitor plug on
>> the back
>> of the PC was not engaged fully. It had somehow become partially
>> disslodged.
>> Inserting it properly cured the problem - two days of frustration!!
>>

> What you did was easy with XP as it allows for a repair install. No
> such thing with W7 or Vista for that matter. W7 has a complicated work
> around for any problem.
>
> Even though I do like using W7 its not open like XP.

Making a small alteration found on google allows upgrades and hence
repairs in win7 making it's maintenance very xp in many respects
From: Rob on
On 25/03/2010 8:30 PM, atec 77 wrote:

>> Even though I do like using W7 its not open like XP.
>>
> Making a small alteration found on google allows upgrades and hence
> repairs in win7 making it's maintenance very xp in many respects

Not in my case where the MB had to be changed. Is this included in the
secret Google site?
From: terryc on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 09:29:29 +1100, Rob wrote:

> Not in my case where the MB had to be changed. Is this included in the
> secret Google site?

MB?, motherboard?
Does changing your motherboard still count as a new computer and thus
require you to purchase another copy of your windows OS?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: ANYONE IN BRISBANE WANT TO MEET THE TRUMAN?
Next: W7 Problem