From: atec7 7 ""atec77 " on
terryc wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 12:19:10 +1000, atec7 7 wrote:
>
>> terryc wrote:

>>> MB?, motherboard?
>>> Does changing your motherboard still count as a new computer and thus
>>> require you to purchase another copy of your windows OS?
>>>
>> There are hacks although a retail w7 wont need more than re rego or a
>> hack
>>
>> google is a mate
>
> lol, that is what I just found out. Full marks on your googling skills.
>
> A very dusty "we are cleaning out junk" gift arrived with a dodgy hard
> disk boot. Eventually found out ram was dicky and replaced it as well,
> then back to the hard disk. OEM Prod Key on case and eventually found
> install media (needed SP1) that would accept the prod key, but MS says
> nope, already installed. Bummer. Linux beckons.

Well shoot me an email and see what happens if you are game
From: atec7 7 ""atec77 " on
Rob wrote:
> On 26/03/2010 1:19 PM, atec7 7 > wrote:
>> terryc wrote:

>>> MB?, motherboard? Does changing your motherboard still count as a new
>>> computer and thus require you to purchase another copy of your windows
>>> OS?
>>>
>> There are hacks although a retail w7 wont need more than re rego or a
>> hack
>>
>> google is a mate
>
> Didn't need a hack - genuine W7. you still can't do a repair install
> same with Vista.
Vista ?
oh dear

and w7 will do a repair
google is your mate or upgrade from a beta as well
From: atec7 7 ""atec77 " on
Rod Speed wrote:
> terryc wrote:

>>> There are hacks although a retail w7 wont need more than re rego or a
>>> hack
>>>
>>> google is a mate
>> lol, that is what I just found out. Full marks on your googling
>> skills.
>>
>> A very dusty "we are cleaning out junk" gift arrived with a dodgy hard
>> disk boot. Eventually found out ram was dicky and replaced it as well,
>> then back to the hard disk. OEM Prod Key on case and eventually found
>> install media (needed SP1) that would accept the prod key, but MS says
>> nope, already installed. Bummer. Linux beckons.
>
> Just use another key, stupid.

Not that easy STUPID
From: terryc on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 16:58:26 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

> terryc wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> terryc wrote

>>> It never did.
>
>> Of course ROD you would get it wrong. It says so very clearly on the
>> Mickeysoft website that if you change the motherboard, you have to buy
>> a new licence.
>
> That has absolutely no relevant what so ever to australian law, fuckwit.
>
> And Microsoft knows that too.

So how do you get activation of OEM XP when re-installed?

>> Interestingly, their social.mickysoft site says this doesn't affect
>> Full Retail,
>
> So much for your original lie.

Which, as usual, you didn't rebut or correct. just made your usual slag
off. off

>> but does affect OEM(7 & XP).
>
> Like hell it does under australian law.
>
>> While we are on the subject, does anyone know how to work out, from the
>> product key, what the installation media is?
>
> That isnt part of the product key.

So how many MS OS and what type have you installed roddles and what
versions were they? I can tell you it is.

From: terryc on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 16:27:31 +1100, Rob wrote:

> I this case I didn't have to buy a new licence just phoned home to
> activate. Thats an OEM x64 Ultimate version
>
> Be tough just because the MB went US you had the buy a new licence.
>
> Changing MB's on XP OS was not so critical most of the time it still
> booted to the desktop and updated the files through updates.

Basically the original hard disk is cactus atm, so there is no wpa file
to recover and am trying to get activation of the re-install.

Some clown has attempted to install XP Pro* over the top and it must have
barfed (faulty ram) on "the second CD", so it was pronounced dead some
time ago, put aside and a new one purchased.

I have been trying to dig out the prod key off the original hard disk,
but most of the key finders only do the home disk and the ones that claim
to be able to find it elsewhere, just sit there looking stupid when
pointed at the second disk.

Recover my files might dig it up, but dollar wise there isn't much
difference in fee and buying a new version.

collect

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: ANYONE IN BRISBANE WANT TO MEET THE TRUMAN?
Next: W7 Problem