From: atec7 7 ""atec77 " on
terryc wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 09:29:29 +1100, Rob wrote:
>
>> Not in my case where the MB had to be changed. Is this included in the
>> secret Google site?
>
> MB?, motherboard?
> Does changing your motherboard still count as a new computer and thus
> require you to purchase another copy of your windows OS?

There are hacks although a retail w7 wont need more than re rego or a hack

google is a mate
From: Rod Speed on
terryc wrote
> Rob wrote

>> Not in my case where the MB had to be changed.
>> Is this included in the secret Google site?

> MB?, motherboard?

> Does changing your motherboard still count as a new computer and
> thus require you to purchase another copy of your windows OS?

It never did.

From: terryc on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:21:07 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

> terryc wrote
>> Rob wrote
>
>>> Not in my case where the MB had to be changed. Is this included in the
>>> secret Google site?
>
>> MB?, motherboard?
>
>> Does changing your motherboard still count as a new computer and thus
>> require you to purchase another copy of your windows OS?
>
> It never did.

Of course ROD you would get it wrong. It says so very clearly on the
Mickeysoft website that if you change the motherboard, you have to buy a
new licence.

Interestingly, their social.mickysoft site says this doesn't affect Full
Retail, but does affect OEM(7 & XP).

While we are on the subject, does anyone know how to work out, from the
product key, what the installation media is?

From: terryc on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 12:19:10 +1000, atec7 7 wrote:

> terryc wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 09:29:29 +1100, Rob wrote:
>>
>>> Not in my case where the MB had to be changed. Is this included in
>>> the secret Google site?
>>
>> MB?, motherboard?
>> Does changing your motherboard still count as a new computer and thus
>> require you to purchase another copy of your windows OS?
>>
> There are hacks although a retail w7 wont need more than re rego or a
> hack
>
> google is a mate

lol, that is what I just found out. Full marks on your googling skills.

A very dusty "we are cleaning out junk" gift arrived with a dodgy hard
disk boot. Eventually found out ram was dicky and replaced it as well,
then back to the hard disk. OEM Prod Key on case and eventually found
install media (needed SP1) that would accept the prod key, but MS says
nope, already installed. Bummer. Linux beckons.

From: Rob on
On 26/03/2010 12:42 PM, terryc wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 09:29:29 +1100, Rob wrote:
>
>> Not in my case where the MB had to be changed. Is this included in the
>> secret Google site?
>
> MB?, motherboard?
> Does changing your motherboard still count as a new computer and thus
> require you to purchase another copy of your windows OS?

I could not get to the desktop after the motherboard was replaced. It
gave all sorts of repair types which took you back to the last known
restore point and that's it.

The MB went from a P45 Chipset to a P41 chipset and W7 didn't like it
without a re install of the OS.

Used the same install disk which was W7 x64 OEM version but it would
not auto activate had to phone home with the numbers.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: ANYONE IN BRISBANE WANT TO MEET THE TRUMAN?
Next: W7 Problem