From: rwalker on
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:26:47 +0100, "whisky-dave"
<whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote:

>Is it ?, I;m sure we've had lots of problems I remember the compatibility
>problems between different versions of Word, and PowerPoint especially.
>Then there's problems with IE8 that we haven't upgraded from IE7.

I was pretty annoyed when my SPSS for Windows 7.0, which cost me
$1500, wouldn't run under Windows Vista and Windows 7. Of course, I'm
sure SPSS was pleased, because it meant they got to gouge me again.
From: David J Taylor on
"whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message

> "David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
> message
[]
>> What? And make everyone buy their 3rd-party software again? No
>> thanks! One of Windows strengths has been its backwards compatibility
>> over the last 25 years.
>
> Is it ?, I;m sure we've had lots of problems I remember the
> compatibility problems between different versions of Word, and
> PowerPoint especially.
> Then there's problems with IE8 that we haven't upgraded from IE7.

Yes, it appears to be here.

I think the current versions of Word and PowerPoint can read the older
versions, and at least back to Office 2000 (ten years old software) you
can read the current versions of the files (one-time install required).
Certainly works fine here.

I've seen no problems here with IE8, it actually seems to be slightly more
reliable than my regular browser, Firefox.

Some people are perhaps not as lucky.

Cheers,
David

From: David J Taylor on
"rwalker" <rwalker(a)despammed.com> wrote in message
[]
> I was pretty annoyed when my SPSS for Windows 7.0, which cost me
> $1500, wouldn't run under Windows Vista and Windows 7. Of course, I'm
> sure SPSS was pleased, because it meant they got to gouge me again.

Don't quite see how you can lay the blame for that one at Microsoft's
door, though.

Cheers,
David

From: rwalker on
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:57:19 +0100, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>"rwalker" <rwalker(a)despammed.com> wrote in message
>[]
>> I was pretty annoyed when my SPSS for Windows 7.0, which cost me
>> $1500, wouldn't run under Windows Vista and Windows 7. Of course, I'm
>> sure SPSS was pleased, because it meant they got to gouge me again.
>
>Don't quite see how you can lay the blame for that one at Microsoft's
>door, though.
>
>Cheers,
>David

Well, you did note that I was saying SPSS was the one doing the
gouging. They could have come up with a patch.
From: Peter on
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:26:47 +0100, "whisky-dave"
> <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
>
>>Is it ?, I;m sure we've had lots of problems I remember the compatibility
>>problems between different versions of Word, and PowerPoint especially.
>>Then there's problems with IE8 that we haven't upgraded from IE7.
>
> I was pretty annoyed when my SPSS for Windows 7.0, which cost me
> $1500, wouldn't run under Windows Vista and Windows 7. Of course, I'm
> sure SPSS was pleased, because it meant they got to gouge me again.

Have you tried compatibility mode?
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7programs/thread/7ce4056a-9619-481f-902b-30b44b67711f

Noticed that you said the Windows 7 version won't run under windows 7. ????

My old SPSS for WinXP runs fine under Win 7.

--
Peter