From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 17:04:17 +0100, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>"whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message
>[]
>>>so they can have MS Office if they want. Or they can get Open Office
>>>for free. I thought that Open Office touted compatibility as one of its
>>>features?
>>
>> maybe using the product will show you just how compatible it is.
>
>You must have missed my earlier posting! Did try it, had too many
>problems and wasted too much time trying to solve them. I was hoping that
>someone might rise to the defence of Open Office...but not so far.

Does Open Office need defending? I find it perfectly adequate.

I started on WordStar and then went to Word Perfect. At Version 9
level I found that Word Perfect was capable of filling all my needs,
but Corel kept coming up with new versions. When my V 9 became
corrupt (I don't know why), I had only diskettes of the original and
my new computer didn't have a diskette drive. Corel wanted more money
and an upgrade to some new version. So, I switched to Open Office.

I really prefer Word Perfect, but OO suffices. I do find it more
complicated to format than WP.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 09:15:36 -0700, SMS wrote:

>> You must have missed my earlier posting! Did try it, had too many
>> problems and wasted too much time trying to solve them. I was hoping
>> that someone might rise to the defence of Open Office...but not so far.
>
> I have Open Office on my netbook, and I have had no problems with it. I
> have saved files in Office formats and Office has opened them properly.
> In fact I prefer Open Office to Office 2007 which I should never have
> installed.

I already stopped using MS Office after 6.0. The first version after that
was 95. When I installed that one on my Pentium 100, it was MUCH slower
than 6.0, and I simply refused to accept that. So I started trying out
some alternatives, while using the built-in applications on my Psions
(3c, 5mx and 7) as my main/backup applications. When OpenOffice 1.0 was
released (2000?) I started using it and never looked back.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: whisky-dave on

"SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote in message
> On 01/07/10 9:04 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
>> "whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message
>> []
>>>
>>> maybe using the product will show you just how compatible it is.
>>
>> You must have missed my earlier posting! Did try it, had too many
>> problems and wasted too much time trying to solve them. I was hoping
>> that someone might rise to the defence of Open Office...but not so far.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>
> I have Open Office on my netbook, and I have had no problems with it. I
> have saved files in Office formats and Office has opened them properly. In
> fact I prefer Open Office to Office 2007 which I should never have
> installed.

We're not saying it's unusable it's teaching compatibility.
Imagine it's your job to train/teach 20 students.
it's really nice if all students have the same software, if they are all
using different version on differnce OS's.
It's not too unlike explaining manual exsposure setttign on a camera.
if everyone has the same camera it's easy but if one has a 2 1/4" TLR
and another has the canon MKII 5D, and another a Polaroid land camera or
whatever teaching isn;t as easy or productive .
You'll notice that each of these camera can take photos, in teh same way
that
Word Open office, word pad, wordstar, view,.. etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_word_processors

All of these can be used for typing.
But imagine having to learn them all .......